Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remember2Breathe's First night new machine
RE: Remember2Breathe's First night new machine
Thumbs up to that.  

Are you a teamster?  I am.

Remember2Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
If that's for me, no teamsters here. I'm early retired/disabled on SSDI. I drove for several truck companies regionally for 11 years. Several moderately severe back injuries handling freight, primary doc said to stay out of the truck so went to college in my late 30s to early 40s and got an IT-ish job fielding credit card tech support for 2 years. Then in August 2014, undiagnosed Apnea became diagnosed, COPD popped up, and major back issues came along for the fun. In 2018-19 I broke 6+ vertebrae in same number of separate incidents. Got to walk with a walker now at 51. Bright side? I'm still alive and loving every minute with a cup of coffee as I limp along through life, and I've got a great family.

Life: it's one part just what it is and the other 90% what you make it to be.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do not use the DME for cervical collars or chin straps. The Knightsbridge is only available through Supplier #37 and most chin straps and collars are on Amazon and even in stores like Walmart, Walgreens etc. These are not medical devices and are not carried by DMEs who really don't understand them anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep that goes without saying that the typical DME isn't a gold mine of information. The OK to good ones are few in number that get things right. Collars will just confuse them more.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you tell by Oscar which would be more helpful for me: a releaf collar or a Knightsbridge chin cap?  I rather prefer the collar option.  Or is it necessary just to try both?

My therapy last night was not as bad as the first 2 nights comfort-wise but was pretty bad. I could tell pretty quickly that 9 was not as comfortable a pressure for me as 8 was.  I thought of getting up after an hour and changing it back to 8; but stuck it out, thinking you might want to see the results (horrid).  I was in bed for 8 hours but didn't get much sleep.  It took at least an hour to fall asleep (usual 5 minutes) and I never really went back to sleep well for the last 3 hours in the morning.  I notice that the CAs (and events in general) are worse during those times of wakefulness.  Lots of uncontrollable mouth farts, struggling to keep tongue sealing mouth,  lots of excess air in mouth.  When I woke up at 7:30 my sleep stats were better, AHI was in the 4.x range, and then got worse as I continued the session.

If I have treatment-emergent central sleep apnea, and it can possibly go away after awhile of CPAP treatment, how long does that usually take?

I'll attach some results below.  I think I should go back to 8 tonight or did you want me to try a different setting?  Keep EPR at 3 or set to 2?  Since my initial results with 8 were so good (prior to the last few hours) and at that point I got an AHI of 1.x; should I try again one more time without chinstrap or taping?

I looked at the Oximetry Wizard on Oscar.  If I use this, I guess I would have to get a new pulse oximeter (mine is ChoiceMMed OxyWatch C2F) and download the driver.
The link to the driver from OSCAR is not working but I searched on Silabs and found a USB to UART Bridge VCP Driver, installation on Mac OSX High Sierra.  Would this be the correct driver?  Then I also wonder if I would have a hardware issue since I only have USB 2.0, not 3 on my MBPro.

Remember2Breathe

Remember2Breathe

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,
I can't imagine breaking 6 Vertebrae! You sure are a warrior.  It's great that you have such a positive attitude, wit, and a supportive family!
R2B
Post Reply Post Reply
Only God could bring me through this injury mess still walking.

Now let's see... Collar? Have you looked up Corflex Ultra Cervical Collar? Some have used this successfully, and ditto for Releaf.

Pressures? It's your comfort so if any settings feel off or take away from comfort, change it back to a working one. That is how I do it myself. Unfortunate there's lots of trial and error so don't hesitate to revert back. Instead of full steps on pressure, there is 0.2 steps between whole numbers, maybe you go in-between whole numbers of 8-9, maybe 8.4 or 8.6.

Treatment emergent CA typically diminishes by month 3, sometimes earlier. Right now we try to "treat" the treatment emergent CA via avoidance, because the only real CA treatment machine is ASV. That may become an option for those that have unknown or idiopathic CA, but it's a bit early for that conversation IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I was choosing between chinstraps and collars, the collar would win. Just keep in mind, you may not marry the first one you meet.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, the collar helps with alignment and chin-dropping and does that in turn help with mouth-breathing?  Or is that not really the issue:  if it helps with AHI, that's all that matters?

Sleeprider, which pressure setting to you think I should try tonight, 8 or 8.4 or 8.6 or 7.8 or??  Keep EPR at 3?

Thanks for the info on treatment emergent CA, that's reassuring.

Can't believe this DME - see attachment.  Think I'll just let it rest as it's not an issue now.

Remember2 Breathe
Post Reply Post Reply
I think if you feel the inside of the chamber lid, you will find that line is a seam from the mold, rather than a crack. They all have it. Other than that, nice clean chamber.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,191 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] First Night with Machine & Some Questions JoshM6535 4 555 07-13-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Second night with my new AVAPS machine Sleepy Willy 0 450 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,796 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.