Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Removal of mask in sleep
Removal of mask in sleep
I have been CPAPing since March with little improvement in stopping my nodding out in mid-afternoon. I have very little AHI and some leaks and use Resmed with WISP mask. I have been removing my mask in my semi conscious sleep around 2AM on most nights and wake up at 3AM to put it back on for a few hours before I wake up, netting about 5 to 6 hours of masked sleep per night. How do I stop this terrible habit of removing the mask? Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Removal of mask in sleep
Welcome to the forum! Lots of good info here. Not sure how to stop taking off the mask how bout oven mitts or boxing gloves? Maybe an extra strap that is not as easy to take off.
Good luck.
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
I tape the mask to my skin with medical tape and its working for me. I'll be aware if I tried to remove it. Be aware of blocking part of the ventilation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use chinstrap, helps keep mask in place
Here is a wiki, you might find useful readings and gives you some ideas: Tips for new CPAP users
There are many tips for new CPAP users that can make a difference when starting on CPAP therapy
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day bubbakid - welcome to the forum.

The first thing you need to know is that removing your mask in your sleep is completely normal and many (probably) the majority of CPAP users experience this at one time or another. As you get used to the therapy it's likely to occur less and less often. Some thoughts for now...

1. Have your beloved keep an eye on you and give you a nudge if he/she notices you're not wearing it.
2. Does your machine have a leak alert function? That might help matters.
3. You could try taping your mask to your skin - use a gentle surgical tape such as Micropore.
4. I'd suggest you get hold of the SleepyHead software and see if there are events occurring shortly before you de-mask. A cluster f leaks or something like that could be disturbing your sleep.

There are lots of reasons we take our masks off, but as I said it's a very normal part of adjusting to PAP therapy. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
My DME guy told me to wear the mast 20-30 minutes while awake during the day so you will get used to wearing it. Since I started doing that I'm taking the mask off much less at night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,616 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Woke up feeling air starved, turned machine off fell back to sleep but with mask on Phil487 7 864 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: Phil487
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
Exclaimation Wisdom tooth removal causes sleep apnea? esaulcatnas 0 337 12-14-2023, 08:22 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.