Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Removing Mask Unconsciously
Removing Mask Unconsciously
Hi all - This may be impossible to solve, but thought I'd try. I'm a CPAP newbie - have been using it for about 3 months. For the past two weeks I wake up in the morning without the mask on but I don't remember doing it. I have a humidifier and use a full-face mask if that is important. Is there any way to deal with this?

Thanks for any ideas you may have or experiences you can share.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Removing Mask Unconsciously
Hi Mary,

Staples?

Actually this is a fairly common thing to have happen. Lots of theories as to why. My favorite theory is something happens where you don't think you're getting enough air. For instance power goes out as an extreme example. If your machine is set to "auto off" then if you had a significant leak in the night the machine may have automatically turned off, causing your cute little body to think it wasn't getting any air, which would be pretty much true. So if autostart/autoff are turned on, turned them off and just use the machine with the cute little power button. Another example might be if you're running a low pressure, and the mask is leaking too much, you could have a problem.

I think the first thing to do is to see where you are at in your treatment. What is your AHI experience, and what does the software tell you about leaks and such?
Post Reply Post Reply
Tape it -- don't tape it so you CANNOT take it off, but enough that it will be a nuisance to remove and require you to wake up more to do it.

Also, you are wearing a full face mask so maybe you would be (a lot) more comfortable in something simpler like nasal pillows.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MaryTee,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sometimes, it takes quite a while to get used to CPAP therapy. You might try wearing your mask and using your machine as you read or watch tv during the evening, as this may help your body get used to this relatively new way of sleeping for you.
Hang in there for more answers and suggestions.
Much success to you as you continue and fine tune your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MaryTee, welcome to Apnea Board.

As the others have said, this is a very common problem - I still do it after well over a year on the hose. With some / all of the S9 machines you can set a large leak alarm which might help. It will beep loud enough to rouse you (or your partner) and you can put the mask back on. In my case I found I became adept at hitting the power button first, so there was no alarm. Sad It might work for you though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 04:28 PM)MaryTee Wrote: Hi all - This may be impossible to solve, but thought I'd try. I'm a CPAP newbie - have been using it for about 3 months. For the past two weeks I wake up in the morning without the mask on but I don't remember doing it. I have a humidifier and use a full-face mask if that is important. Is there any way to deal with this?

I wanna give you a big hug.

When I started CPAP it really was a continous pressure at the same rate all night. None of your new fangled responsive airflow thing. And humidifiers were not really understood, recommended or used. Plus I also had a clunky face mask with forehead pads.

The reason you pull the mask off is that you can feel it on your face and it's not meant to be there. Took me a FULL 6 MONTHS before I woke up with the mask still on, having not removed it during the night.

Now I am not sure why you were given a full face mask but what I found over the last 18 years is the nasal masks and even the pillow masks are much easier to put up with because you don't feel them as much.

So hang in there, you're only half way it does get better Smile

And perhaps ask your DME or doctor to see if you can get away with less facial hardware.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 04:28 PM)MaryTee Wrote: Hi all - This may be impossible to solve, but thought I'd try. I'm a CPAP newbie - have been using it for about 3 months. For the past two weeks I wake up in the morning without the mask on but I don't remember doing it. I have a humidifier and use a full-face mask if that is important. Is there any way to deal with this?

Hi MaryTee,

Are you limited to full face masks? The reason I am asking is I did this constantly when I wore them due to extreme discomfort. Once I switched to the Sleep Weaver Elan Mask, the problem ceased except for one time which was a fluke.

I would also check the sleepyhead software to make sure your therapy is optimal and you aren't ditching the mask due to a high AHI.

Best of luck.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2015, 02:49 PM)49er Wrote: I would also check the sleepyhead software to make sure your therapy is optimal and you aren't ditching the mask due to a high AHI.

Yes, definitely check this. I think it fairly likely that you will see a fairly long lasting apnea event at some point, and that may be where you are tearing that mask off.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started my CPAP, I had the same issue. It's usually a reflex to being uncomfortable. If the room is too warm, or you are not getting enough air, the mask will come off. Try keeping the room cool and/or increase the ramp pressure.

Also, if the mask doesn't fit well while you are asleep, you likely won't be wearing it when you wake up.
Post Reply Post Reply

I do the same thing and I wake up so tired. I have been using the machine for a long time and I have no ideas on how to stop. Let me know what you have found that works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Waking up/removing mask often - triggers in the data? Amherrypt 1 907 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,115 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam] S.Thompson 6 1,403 08-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Nailer
  weird smell after removing mask? upat3am 18 12,229 04-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Morhaugn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.