Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Removing mask
Removing mask
I'm new to this board and also new to bipap. I've been using my machine for about a month now. The problem I'm having is I keep removing the mask during the night. This usually occurs in my 2nd or 3rd hour of sleep. After reading about the sleepy head software I decided today to try it. I noticed today that most of the time I have an obstructive event right before I take the mask off. On tips on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Removing mask
Welcome to the Group medwards0050.

I don't have that problem myself, but others will give you feedback in due course.

In the meantime you can have a read through these threads on the same topic.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...onsciously

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-sleeping

It takes time to get everything worked out and settled for your own specific comfort and needs.

Hang in there, and make small changes to one thing at a time as you go to trial what work and what doesn't...
That way you will know exactly what benefit a change has, if you do multiple changes in one go you won't know which worked and which didn't.

Cheers,
Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
I see you are using the same unit as DeepBreathing does.

His comment in post #5 of the Removing Mask Unconsciously may be of help to you.

Your machine may have an alarm you can set that will wake you up if you remove your mask.
I have no idea of how it works, so you will need to wait for further feedback from those who use the S9, my machine is a Philips Dreamstation.

Cheers,
Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
Cannot tell if medwards0050 uses the same machine as DeepBreathing. There are many flavors of the S9.
What does it say above the start button? VPAP, CPAP, VPAP S, Elite, VPAP Adapt, Autoset ?????

Note that VPAP is ResMed's trademark name for bilevel; and BiPAP is Respironics name.
So it probably says VPAP (something).
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the links that was some useful information. I'm not sure if it says anything on the power button or not. I'm at work right now but I'll look when I get home. I think my problem mat be in the settings because I only take it off after the logged even. According to sleepy head I always remove the mask just a few mins after the obstructive. Not sure if that has anything to do with it though
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi medwards0050,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy and getting it adjusted to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Don't think having an apnea event a few times a night is a problem, if my AHI is .3 to .7 the therapy is working very well. Nothing wrong with fine tuning for possible better results but they say anything less than 5 AHI is giving us some sleep.

Sounds like your doing exceptionally well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. Being new to all this I was just trying to figure our what was up and i noticed that everytime one of these happen I would take off the mask. Thought there might be a connection.

Post Reply Post Reply
Some SleepyHead waveforms would help here. I can think of two possibilities. One, you are having an event, wake up starved for air, rip the mask off. Increasing pressure might prevent the event from happening or being severe enough to wake you up. Two the event causes a rapid pressure increase and that (or mask leaks from that increase) wake you up. And you rip the mask off as you are not comfortable. Lowering the max pressure might help at the expense of your therapy.

You could also try wearing a chin strap over your mask. That would make it harder to take it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2016, 04:18 PM)medwards0050 Wrote: I'm new to this board and also new to bipap. I've been using my machine for about a month now. The problem I'm having is I keep removing the mask during the night. This usually occurs in my 2nd or 3rd hour of sleep. After reading about the sleepy head software I decided today to try it. I noticed today that most of the time I have an obstructive event right before I take the mask off. On tips on dealing with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi medwards,

Is your mask comfortable? I found when I wore one that wasn't, I did that constantly.

Another contributing factor to prematurely removing the mask is an inappropriate humidity level. About three weeks ago, I experimented with the highest setting and obviously, my nose didn't like it as I woke up without the mask. I found after more experimenting that passover humidity works the best for me.

Best of luck in resolving the situation.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Sleep Data - removing mask in sleep James87 10 620 01-04-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: James87
  Waking up/removing mask often - triggers in the data? Amherrypt 1 906 04-07-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Removing the balloon on motor expire VandeJ63 9 1,115 11-18-2022, 11:53 PM
Last Post: vk3hjq
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,208 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Fisher Paykel HC221LE [Advice on removing foam] S.Thompson 6 1,403 08-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Nailer
  weird smell after removing mask? upat3am 18 12,228 04-30-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Morhaugn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.