Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remstar 450P - Does it Have Auto Trial?
Question 
Remstar 450P - Does it Have Auto Trial?
Hello All,

Since I have learned so much about Sleep Apnea with my diagnosis, I am trying to help out my father who is in his 70s. He defiantly has sleep apnea, mom often is woken up when he stops breathing and elbows him to get him to breath, he usually does not wake enough to remember. I have tried to get him to do a sleep study, but cant convince him at this point to do one even with moms help.

So since I have had so much fun with my new 560p and sleepy head I have a plan. I found a 450P in his town on CL, that was only used one night (Will confirm blower hours). for 150.00. My plan is to have them pick it up for me to use when I travel there and save me from dragging mine out there, and then convince dad to try it for a night and have him send me the data. Mom and I both think he will be open to that, and then having the data may be able to convince him to do the study.

So the Question is, do all of the 450P models have the auto trial mode? Or does it have to say Auto IQ on it to have the auto trial, is that a different model? I would prefer to get him a fully auto one, but the price on this is great if it does have the 30 day auto trial.

The model on the bottom says 450P

I put the serial number in the philips website and it came back with this:

REMstar Pro C-Flex+ (SystemOne 50 Series)

Thanks all!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Remstar 450P - Does it Have Auto Trial?
That feature was not available until later 60 series machines. My guess is that you can find an auto machine at that price, or negotiate for it. It may take some patience, or check on SearchTempest which is a Craigslist search engine. The 50 series pro does have data, but if you're not nearby, it's going to be difficult to monitor and adjust.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was afraid of that... thanks for the quick reply SleepRider, and your continued support!

Yes I am in Portland and he is in Florida, so get get much further apart in the continental 48. Smile

I also found an S9 Autoset with minimal usage for the same price, but I was wanting to stay with Remstar only because I have the 560p, and could more easily talk him through things. May just have to be patient for a 560P for him... or find an S9 up here for me. Ha Ha.

Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 is equally easy to use, and I think is a superior auto CPAP to the 450/460, and perhaps an improvement on the 560. The reason I think so is that it is faster to respond to obstructive events without optimized settings. Even from low pressure, the Resmed machines can get up to pressure to treat and prevent OSA, and they don't drop out of therapy range as fast. I think that works in your situation. Just one caution that your dad has not had a sleep study, so you want to watch for CA and periodic breathing that might be a bigger challenge. If his heart health is good, this should not be a problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to know, I may just grab the S9 then.

Is there anything I need to avoid on for Resmet models like avoiding the escape models for the philips models?

It says Autoset on the front and EPR, and below is what is on the back.
S9
REF: 36005a
Post Reply Post Reply
kacn6771,
This may help with your decision. A list of machines that member Archangel has put together.
Should clarify which machines to look for and which ones to avoid.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Also, have you looked at Supplier #2. They sell lightly used machines and also new open box machines at a reasonable cost.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-21-2016, 08:41 PM)kacn6771 Wrote: Good to know, I may just grab the S9 then.

Make sure it's an Autoset, not the Escape Auto.

You mentioned the auto trial feature, but what you really need is an auto-adjusting machine like the S9 Autoset or your PRS1 Model 560P, or even the older 550P.

If your father is capable of getting the run hours off a machine, then he should be able to follow any other usage instructions you give him.

If you do decide to go with your original plan of having him pick up the 460P for you, then when you do visit you can use the 460 and let him borrow your 560.

Once you know what pressure you need, a fixed pressure machine is often fine. On the other hand, there are often complications and even an auto-adjusting machine might be inadequate.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kacn6771,
You should do just fine with the S9AutoSet.
Hopefully, your dad will be open to trying CPAP therapy.
I wish your dad good luck as he tries a CPAP machine,(here's to making a new friend,) and with you looking out for him as you are doing, he can't go wrong.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for the great responses!!

The S9 was not available, I assume it was already sold as it was a good price. My folks did pick up the 450 though. 100.00 for the machine with less than 10 hours, humidifer, hose and mask so I figured even if just for my use when I am down visiting that is worth the price.

My plan is to have him try it for a night at a low number like 6 or so and see what his data comes back as. Was thinking of just a high enough number that he feels he is getting enough air, but not so high cover all of his AHI. I am suspecting that he will have significant AHI, as we are both built similar, I just a have a 50 extra pounds than he does. Once I get the first nights numbers then talk to him about a sleep study. He is a data guy, so If I give him his own data that will help open him up to the sleep study.

Then I will keep an eye out for an Auto machine, or see what Medicare will do for him.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like you working on this as a project with your dad. It will keep him engaged and that should lead to better results. Your strategy on pressure sounds fine. You two can interpret the results and if there are obstructive events, you wlll know which direction to take the pressure. As long as he sticks with it, he will find a good CPAP pressure using this systematic approach..
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 372 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 252 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  CPAP trial - Improvements but exhausted still prairiesleeper 7 518 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 578 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.