Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remstar Auto A-flex intermittently cutting off
Remstar Auto A-flex intermittently cutting off
Hi, my husband has had this machine (Remstar Auto A-flex) for about 3 yrs now and it just started beeping and cutting off in the middle of the night. He would unplug it then things would resume back to normal. Some nights it would cut off just once, and other nights 3-4 times. Took it to our DME provided 2 times and there was no code. They had NO back-up loaner machine to provide while it's out for diagnosis. So feeling frustrated, I went on Craigslist and bought a brand new RESmart Auto by 3B. I set the pressures just like they were on his old machine. But the pressures just don't seem as strong to my husband. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong with the Remstar Auto A-flex and why it may be cutting off at times? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Remstar Auto A-flex intermittently cutting off
Hi babydoss,

Welcome

This is just one possibility. But some CPAP machines have an auto-on/auto-off feature. Can't remember what it's called on Respironics machines... this is the feature that allows you to put on the mask, start breathing, and it automatically turns on the CPAP machine without you pressing any buttons. Likewise, when you take the mask off, this feature senses that and shuts down the CPAP machine.

Anyway, on my ResMed S9 machine, I would find that the machine would simply turn off on it's own during the night - about 2-3 times or so.

What was happening is that sometimes during the night, I either had shallow breathing or a severe leak, which caused the machine to think that I had taken the mask off - whereupon it would turn itself off.

The solution was to turn off the "auto-on/auto-off" function in the User Setup Menu. This will necessitate the patient manually turning the machine off and on, but it stopped this feature from waking me up numerous times during the night.

Not sure that's what's going on with your husband, but it could be.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SO much for the quick reply. YES! I do have that feature turned on and will turn it off right now. Hopefully hubby will have his first restful night in over 2 weeks tonite! Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi babydoss,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you and your husband will get a good nights sleep since you turned off that feature in his machine. He is fortunate to have you looking out for him.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to your husband as he continues his CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this the older M-series with the smartcard, or a newer PR System One with the SD Card? If it is the older model, the machine will error like this if the card is inserted incorrectly, or it can't write to the card. Just remove it. The error should not be a problem if this is the newer model.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 03:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Is this the older M-series with the smartcard, or a newer PR System One with the SD Card? If it is the older model, the machine will error like this if the card is inserted incorrectly, or it can't write to the card. Just remove it. The error should not be a problem if this is the newer model.

I think it is the newer model with an sd card, but we don't have an Sd card in it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 02:48 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi babydoss,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you and your husband will get a good nights sleep since you turned off that feature in his machine. He is fortunate to have you looking out for him.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to your husband as he continues his CPAP therapy.

Yeah, I am the one who does all the research. I am after all the one who has to sleep with him. Lol. I was the one who met with his sleep doctor when all this started about 10 yrs ago and told them that I didn't think they had his pressure high enough. He is on an apa with 16 as the low and 19 as the high and he does quite well with it. The dr wanted him at a lower pressure and I insisted on a higher pressure and it gives him more restful sleep. Thank you for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 12:34 PM)babydoss Wrote: Hi, my husband has had this machine (Remstar Auto A-flex) for about 3 yrs now and it just started beeping and cutting off in the middle of the night.

Mine started doing the same thing and I couldn't figure out how to fix it, either. You can try Supplier #27 or #28.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

I'm not all familiar with the replacement machine you bought on craigslist, but you can try tweaking the settings. What is the A-Flex setting on his original machine? It would be 1, 2, or 3. It could be that altering the corresponding setting on the new machine would make it feel more comfortable. Also check to make sure the ramp settings match and the mask type is set correctly. If all else fails raise the pressure on the new machine by 1 cm.

Keep looking on craigslist for a machine that's a better match. Educate yourself about the different types of machines here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...8#pid75378

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_choices
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
You only need to turn off the Auto Off function. Respironics is smarter than ResMed on this, and you can have auto on and still turn off the Auto Off function.

However, this doesn't sound like an auto off problem.

The power connector on the PRS1 machines is sometimes a problem. Try wiggling the plug and seeing if the problem happens.

Sometimes, different APAP machines give you different pressure results. If necessary, you can change the pressure range.

Download the SleepyHead software and use it with your PRS1 machine. It will tell you what pressure your APAP has been using and you can set your BMC CPAP machine to that level.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2015, 07:23 PM)archangle Wrote: You only need to turn off the Auto Off function. Respironics is smarter than ResMed on this, and you can have auto on and still turn off the Auto Off function.

However, this doesn't sound like an auto off problem.

The power connector on the PRS1 machines is sometimes a problem. Try wiggling the plug and seeing if the problem happens.

Sometimes, different APAP machines give you different pressure results. If necessary, you can change the pressure range.

Download the SleepyHead software and use it with your PRS1 machine. It will tell you what pressure your APAP has been using and you can set your BMC CPAP machine to that level.

Yes I can see how the power connector could be a problem because it's kind of flimsy. I'll checj that too. Thanks for the advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 475 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  airsense 11 cutting off in therapy alphamale 1 290 01-11-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 630 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Airsense 10 cutting off repeatedly at night. coldfeet7 4 328 12-31-2023, 09:37 PM
Last Post: coldfeet7
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 273 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 625 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,079 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.