Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required"
RE: Remstar Auto M Series "Service Required"
(02-02-2019, 04:00 PM)tommagic1 Wrote: This response is probably way to late for most folks.  I grabbed my old machine which was meant to be a "backup" unit and some time ago, it suddenly started to abort startup and go into the "service required" mode, with all 3 lights blinking.  I came back here to see if there were any recent resolutions, and found none.  So I began playing around with it and stumbled upon a fix which works every time on my machine... the fix is this:

Plug the machine in...wait until it goes in to "service required" is shown and all 3 lights are blinking.

Press and hold the power button in.

Disconnect the power connector from the back of the machine while still holding in the power button.

After about 2 seconds, plug the power connector in while still holding the power button.

It will take what seems a long time but the machine will boot up as normal, then you can finally release the power button.

The machine will stay "fixed" for normal use....unless the unit is unplugged, or there is a power outage.  When power is reconnected, use the process above to reset the machine.

This worked for me every time...I'm not sure it will work for anyone else...good luck!

I was hopeful, tried a few times, but it still goes back to service required. Very depressing since my machine is obsolete and I can't afford another one. Thanks for trying!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2019, 03:24 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 04:00 PM)tommagic1 Wrote: This response is probably way to late for most folks.  I grabbed my old machine which was meant to be a "backup" unit and some time ago, it suddenly started to abort startup and go into the "service required" mode, with all 3 lights blinking.  I came back here to see if there were any recent resolutions, and found none.  So I began playing around with it and stumbled upon a fix which works every time on my machine... the fix is this:

Plug the machine in...wait until it goes in to "service required" is shown and all 3 lights are blinking.

Press and hold the power button in.

Disconnect the power connector from the back of the machine while still holding in the power button.

After about 2 seconds, plug the power connector in while still holding the power button.

It will take what seems a long time but the machine will boot up as normal, then you can finally release the power button.

The machine will stay "fixed" for normal use....unless the unit is unplugged, or there is a power outage.  When power is reconnected, use the process above to reset the machine.

This worked for me every time...I'm not sure it will work for anyone else...good luck!

Excellent.  I still have one as a back up and I knew these machines did this now and again, but I didn't know how to overcome it.
Thank you for this information.
Saved for future reference.

I know this is late but - I wanted to make sure this is up for everyone else - This worked for me, took a couple of tries but it's up and working -- these units have a battery in them and you might just be able to change the battery

there are also a few videos on YouTube on this problem here's one on how to clean the pressure sensor and this works also, it's a different machine but the fix may be the same:

well this forum wouldn't let me post the YouTube links -- e-mail me if you want them

</RANT>
What idiot designs a piece of critical medical equipment that just cuts off without any warning and forces you to buy another!
I've been working on one type on machine or another for the last 40 years and EVERYONE of them gives you a good long warning time  before it cuts off
</RANT>

John Kruse
Post Reply Post Reply
If you still had a working M Series you should consider yourself lucky. Those machines are not designed to last that long.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Time for a ResMed 10 series.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured it out -- the unit has a button cell in it, a 2032, but it's tack welded in there. I got it out and replaced it and it came right up to setup, after one cycle of setup it now works fine even if the power goes out. I don't suggest trying this unless you have the tools and experience to do something like this. There are several CPAP repair places but a repair like this will cost you almost as much as a new machine. Since they didn't put in a regular holder for the battery I had to put in a piece of non-conductive foam to hold it in.

[Commercial Link Removed] Supplier #1 has new dream station machines for around $300 (they are also having a Memorial Day sale right now) and this is your best bet. I got one of these when mine died and it works fine.
I just had to do this to rage against the machine Big Grin  -- they should have at least put in a one or two week warning that the unit was about to cut off, instead they chance putting someone out there that's nodding off at 70mph.....

John Kruse

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an REmStar Auto M-Series that I got in July, 2008 and used for 11 years until the humidifier died and I had to get a new machine.  Unfortunately, I got the Dreamstation 1!  So now I have purchased a second-hand humidifier from Supplier #2 and am using the M-Series again while I wait on Supplier #3 to ship me my new ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet (they claim they are "waiting on prescription" even though I have sent it to them 3 times).  And the M-Series is still going strong!
Post Reply Post Reply
In case anyone finds this thread... that fix did not work for me. I read elsewhere it means there is a faulty component.  I removed the machine from the humidifier assembly and it started working again. 

How I came across this error at this late date?
Got the message that my current machine causes cancer. Doctor makes an appointment 3 weeks out,  no replacement until then. 2 weeks in, wake up from suffocation dream l, because I was not breathing. Had to get past this error. Thanks doc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found a fix for "Service Required" issue for this Remstar M Series. It has been working for 3 weeks so far. Here is how:

1. Remove the existing CR2032 battery (it was glued). Keep the connections intact.
2. Solder a new CR2032 battery holder to the connections. Make sure the battery holder has switch. Link example below.
3. Put a brand new CR2032 battery into this holder.

Now, when that "Service Required" issue comes up, do these steps:
1. Switch CR2032 off
2. Plug Remstar off
3. Wait 1 minute
4. Switch CR2032 on
5. Plug Remstar on. Leave it on until the next blackout

Hope helps.

Jay T

Disclaimer. I am not affiliated with the battery holder vendor

CR2032 battery holder link:
https://www.amazon.com/LAMPVPATH-cr2032-...B08Q3K68K9
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot. It worked on my unit.

I also did some experiment on my unit after it worked. I turned off the mask sensor and auto off feature and then my unit no longer experienced the service required message.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ msgill59 - May I add some context here. Design life on these machines is typically 5 years, 0r 14,600 hours assuming 8 hours usage per day times 365 times 5. If your machine dates to 2008, that is some 14 years old -- more than 2.5 times the design life. This is why posters are encouraging you to look at a new machine. Medicare will pay so your out of pocket would b 20% of the sales price if you are on Traditional Medicare. Also it should be said that the newer machines have newer technology.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 56 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 377 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  [CPAP] Advice required regarding data Mjfbeeslaar 4 384 12-28-2023, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 252 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  [CPAP] Preparing for first night with CPAP (help required) applebee 2 432 10-28-2023, 11:20 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
Question [Diagnosis] Sleep test Required/Mandatory ??? dalabera 9 762 10-26-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.