Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Remstar plus mask question
Remstar plus mask question
        I just bought a used remstar plus model 1005960, and I have a question about the mask that came with it- it seems not to have any exhalation capability. When I exhale through the mask, it seems like the air should escape with less effort. I'm wondering if I have the wrong mask or maybe I'm missing a part?
P
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Remstar plus mask question
Hi Dustyvp,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't know the answer to your question about that particular mask but hang in there and someone will be able to help you soon.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There should be vents in the mask. They can be a series of what looks like drilled holes in a flat spot on the mask or they could be around the hose connection. Can you see anything like described? If so ensure that they are fully open and not constricted in any way.

My experience with nasal masks was that I felt that the vents were insufficient but they worked OK. If I put the mask on and blocked off the hose connection and then exhaled, it took a lot of effort to exhale through the vents even without the pressure from the CPAP. I was initially concerned about it but had been using it for some time and was still above ground. I ran some calculations on what qwas going on and convinced myself that it was sufficient. On an emotional level I did not really feel better about it and now I have a FFM that vents very freely. Makes me much happier.

In summary:

If you can find the vents ensure that they are fully open. If both criteria are met then it should be OK. If not, find another mask. Do not use a mask with no vents. There are masks made for hospital ventilators that have no vents. These should absolutely not be used with CPAP because it could be dangerous.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not seeing any obvious holes, but it does leak slightly when I exhale. I'm about to try it out- we'll see. Can you tell from the pic?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2014, 08:54 PM)Dustyvp Wrote: I just bought a used remstar plus model 1005960, and I have a question about the mask that came with it- it seems not to have any exhalation capability.

It looks like what you have is just part of a mask. Masks are interchangeable, so just get a new one or use one you've already got.

When I buy used machines I throw away any masks or hoses that come with. I don't trust them.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I need a new mask, where can I get an affordable one? Amazon has them for around 80$- seems like I might be able to find a better deal elsewhere. Also, should I get a full mask or a nasal?
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask type is not way associated with the machine. Look carefully on the mask for some sort of name or number, including on the headgear.

Your mask looks vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. Hopefully, some other member on this board will recognize it.

It looks like there may be some air holes in the clear plastic part around where the elbow goes into the body of the mask. If so, it probably blows air in all directions around this fitting. Put your hand around this area and feel for air leaks when the machine is turned on.

As for cleaning the used mask, you might disassemble it, clean it thoroughly, and then use hot water on it. What I've done is take a big pot of water, bring it to a good rolling boil, turn off the heat, and then drop mask parts into the water and let it stay there until it cools down. Don't put the headgear or any foam parts into the water.

You do run some risk of damage to the mask, but it should help sanitize it. Realize that even boiling water doesn't kill all germs, but it does help.

There is also Control III disinfectant, sold by Supplier #1. Read the instructions and be careful with the undiluted solution, but the diluted solution is relatively safe.

New hoses are cheap, so just buy new.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
That looks like a Wisp, doesn't it?

As for the type of mask you want, it depends on the type of sleeper you are.

Do you snore with your mouth open? Or open your mouth and breathe through it when you sleep? If you do, then you will want either:
nasal pillow or nasal mask and a chin strap
or
a full face mask

Do your snore with your mouth closed? Then you will want either:
nasal pillow
or
nasal mask

As to what kind of mask within each set? Good question. Again, depends on what kind of sleeper you are. If you stay in one position, then you can get away with almost any kind of mask. But if you move around a lot, you'll want one that is better able to stay in place. Are you claustrophobic? Do you have nasal issues or get congested often?

It is these things that make an actual supplier kinda almost useful. Because they can help you figure these things out. You might could go to one and pretend to be interested in buying. Get fitted, get some advice, then say you need to think about it or whatever. It would let you get your hands (and face) on the masks. You will probably need a prescription for the mask. Any doctor can write one, it does not have to be a sleep doc. Tell them you will be paying out of pocket and that while you can afford it, it's not something you can just throw money away on. That way, they let you in the door and show you real masks and not just the el cheapo models.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 485 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Remstar -> DS 1(new foam) mw1655 0 253 11-29-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: mw1655
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 333 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.