Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Update on how it is going with the Wisp Nasal Mask
Update on how it is going with the Wisp Nasal Mask
I have been using the wisp since last Tuesday. For the most part, my AHI has been 0 every time I sleep.

I have read that it is unusual to have 0 AHI's nightly so I wanted to check in with the members here to see if anyone else has 0 AHI's most of the time.

Either today if I take a nap or tonight, I am going to adjust the headgear to see if that helps with the leaks. When my headgear was adjusted, I was in the sitting position with a machine on but things are different when we lay down to sleep.

I do believe I am opening my mouth or my mouth wouldn't be dry although it isn't horribly dry and unbearable.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Update on how it is going with the Wisp Nasal Mask
I went for a period of about a month where my AHI was zero all the time. After patting myself on the back, I found messages on the net that indicated the S9 Autoset is prone to getting “stuck” on zero AHI and I pulled the plug and reset the machine. Now I get normal AHI values and it has not happened again (yet).

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2013, 12:33 PM)eplantz Wrote: I went for a period of about a month where my AHI was zero all the time. After patting myself on the back, I found messages on the net that indicated the S9 Autoset is prone to getting “stuck” on zero AHI and I pulled the plug and reset the machine. Now I get normal AHI values and it has not happened again (yet).

I went back to bed for almost an hour and a half and I had .12 unknown event just before I woke up. I tightened my headgear and the leaks went down somewhat. They don't wake me up. However, I need to loosen the headgear a little as it left marks on my nose and right cheek (was sleeping on my back as one of the pups was laying on my legs lol). This is encouraging to me. I love this mask.

I was still opening my mouth though because I think that is all that would cause my mouth to be dry but I am not sure because I have used FFM up until this week. Any input on causes of dry mouth as opposed to FFM and nasal masks would be appreciated.

[attachment=583]
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=584]

This is last night after making a few adjustments to the headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
me50,

I had very similar experiences to yours - occasional dry mouth and lots of leaks. Yet no one has ever said that I sleep with my mouth open, including the sleep doctor after my sleep study. I suspect that my mouth is open only just a tiny bit; enough to let air out, but not enough to be visible to others watching me. And it doesn't help that I am a very active sleeper, rolling from side to side repeatedly during the night.

I tightened up the Wisp quite a bit, and this helped with the leaks, but they were still too high. Eventually I found success by adding a chin strap on top of the Wisp. The chin strap keeps the Wisp in place and keeps my mouth closed. Even so, occasionally I see a night with leaks up to 30L, although my average is probably somewhere between 5-10L.
Post Reply Post Reply
My leaks are decreasing after adjusting the headgear. The high leaks were before I adjusted it I think.

I have a little bit of an imprint from the nasal cup so will need to loosen it up but I am loosening it in small increments to see where that "perfect" measurement is.

In the meantime, I really like this mask and my AHI is much lower, headgear is really comfortable, mask is comfortable and the leaks aren't waking me up. Also, I was butting up against the high pressure of 20 before I switched to the wisp and now, 5 days later, I have not come close to the 19.9 I was getting before. So positive results so far

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 978 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 159 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,225 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,355 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 421 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 403 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Phillips update. Big Guy 0 284 01-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.