Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it?
Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it?
Next question of my long list. What would you recommend to me: I'm swallowing quite a lot of air, especially during the last two hours of my sleep. I constantly wake up burping and eventually with a rumbling and painful belly. Does a FFM lead to less air swallowing? Or doesn't it make any difference?
Btw; I'm not having a lot of OA's, just mainly hypopneas. I already bought a new (thicker) pillow and raised the head end of my bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it?
I doubt that a FFM will have any effect. You might try changing the flex setting, this setting for RP machines change the pressure curve and you may find a curve that helps.

The only other trick I have heard about is lowering the pressure and slowly raising it as you get used to it. Your profile is cutting off the pressure range and just says 6-,,, it would be the high end that would cause you a problem. Take a look at sleepyhead and see what your actual high end pressure is and decide if you want to drop the pressure down a bit. You may get higher AHI for a while until you get the pressure back up
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swallowing air: does a FFM help in preventing it?
(07-22-2016, 06:35 PM)PoolQ Wrote: I doubt that a FFM will have any effect. You might try changing the flex setting, this setting for RP machines change the pressure curve and you may find a curve that helps.

The only other trick I have heard about is lowering the pressure and slowly raising it as you get used to it. Your profile is cutting off the pressure range and just says 6-,,, it would be the high end that would cause you a problem. Take a look at sleepyhead and see what your actual high end pressure is and decide if you want to drop the pressure down a bit. You may get higher AHI for a while until you get the pressure back up
Thanks PoolQ, I will lower the max. pressure and see if I can build it up slowly again from there. I put "..." behind the "6" because I am experimenting with the max. pressure. APAP 6-20 gives the best result up to now, but, as expected, also the most burps. I probably went to quick to 20 and will start over building up, starting at 6-10 now.

I asked about the mask because I was thinking that since I'm (originally) a mouth breather and don't have any obstructions, I could benefit from a FFM in reducing my air swallowing. But maybe I would still swallow the air with my mouth instead of inhaling it, I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 274 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Finally a decent nights rest but swallowing air sfgiants123 2 529 05-13-2023, 10:26 AM
Last Post: sfgiants123
  Need help with air swallowing so I can meet compliance requirements Harmon 3 548 01-16-2023, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Harmon
  Preventing Rainout All4Heels 10 2,339 10-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Problem swallowing using nasal pillows mask kysbie 2 858 07-06-2021, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Air swallowing in throat EmaNTD 1 915 10-14-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: Canuck 2
  Preventing events while sleeping on back dcuste 6 1,411 05-02-2020, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.