Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: Phillips Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

Renting vs Buying CPAP
When I went in to get my machine, I thought I was buying it, based on the price. I skimmed the paperwork I had to sign, but I admit, I didn't read it as closely as I should have. Friday I got a letter from my insurance company saying my rental of the machine was approved. I have a high deductible plan, so this means nothing, they still don't pay a dime until I've met it, and I may after this thing, but not until. I was confused by the rental bit of it so I looked over my paperwork again and sure enough, it says I'm renting the machine. Did I really just Oh-jeez myself here? The rental is for 10 months.
10-21-2013 07:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PollCat Offline
Apnea Board Polling Administrator
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: H5i Cleanable with ClimateLine
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 18

Other Comments: CPAP-ing since 1995; Type 2 Diabetes; Chronic Asthma; Gout

Sex: Male

RE: Renting vs Buying CPAP
Most insurance companies require new patients to "rent" their first machines for a couple of months, in order to ascertain whether the users will be compliant with the therapy. After a specified period, the insurance company should pay for the purchase of the machine.

You may want to contact your insurance company and ask about the rental provisions versus purchasing the machine.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-21-2013 08:47 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If your out of pocket for "renting" the machine is high, consider just buying one outright. There's some pros and cons to this.

The pros is, of course, related to cost. One, your up front cost is done and over with. Supplier #2 has "gently used" and open box machines for excellent prices. Quite often the price you have to pay for the rent is equal greater than the cost of one of their machines.

The cons are mixed. One is the cost is up front vs spread out over several months. Then there's the cost of supplies. Will your insurance company pay for supplies for a machine they did not "buy"? Machine supplies are limited to filters, humidifier tubs, and hoses.

Insurance companies are all about compliance. They don't want to buy you a machine you aren't going to use. They want to rent one then gather your compliance data.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-21-2013 02:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
terp1984 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP 5 to 15, IPAP 10 to 35

Other Comments:

As you probably noticed, the 10 month rental is more than twice the cost of buying the machine outright. When I needed a new machine, my doctor wrote me a prescription and the DME claimed I would again be required to sign up for the 10 month rental. Since my deductible is also high, it was cheaper for me to buy it over the Internet, so that is what I did.
10-21-2013 04:41 PM
SabrinaFaire Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics 460P System One

Other Comments:

(10-21-2013 04:41 PM)terp1984 Wrote:  As you probably noticed, the 10 month rental is more than twice the cost of buying the machine outright. When I needed a new machine, my doctor wrote me a prescription and the DME claimed I would again be required to sign up for the 10 month rental. Since my deductible is also high, it was cheaper for me to buy it over the Internet, so that is what I did.

Yes! Exactly.
10-21-2013 05:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

In the 13 months that Medicare "rented" my S9 Escape, they could have bought me about 3 Autosets. And yes, I have written my congress folk about this several times.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-21-2013 05:14 PM
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

(10-21-2013 05:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  In the 13 months that Medicare "rented" my S9 Escape, they could have bought me about 3 Autosets. And yes, I have written my congress folk about this several times.

yep, my insurance company is renting my cpap machine at $59.30 per month not including the hose, chamber, filters, mask, cushion and headgear. They didn't care about compliance according to my insurance company but the DME checked it for 30 days. My DME has no idea how often I can get supplies and that is just sad
10-21-2013 07:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

"Rental" is often "Rent to own" for CPAP.

However, your situation may be different.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
10-23-2013 09:16 PM
Bobshouse Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Tap Pap or The Breeze
Humidifier: Resmed H5I
CPAP Pressure: 10 Auto to 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

I pay enough every month to my health insurance provider. If they want to rent the machine for the rest of my life, replacing it every 5 years, have at it!! I really wouldn't worry about it as long as your being treated.

Im under the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan and can change providers every year....which I do often, based upon their annual price increases. In the past 10 years, I haven't got a request to send anything back.
10-23-2013 10:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SabrinaFaire Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Phillips Respironics 460P System One

Other Comments:

Well the thing is, I haven't met my deductible yet, so the insurance ISN'T paying for it, I am.

I asked the DME when I went back for a mask re-fit on Monday and they confirmed that I am renting, and it's because of insurance. The claim showed up on the online system of my insurance company but for some reason doesn't show the machine. I don't know if that's a seperate claim or what.
10-24-2013 07:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 85 15,284 11-21-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  HELP BUYING AN ASV MACHINE Johnny Bravo 16 908 11-01-2016 03:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying a new CPAP...Airsense 10 or Autoset?? kurtb2000 6 1,289 03-30-2016 03:41 PM
Last Post: bwexler
  [CPAP] Advice for buying new machine and mask thebottomclef 15 1,635 02-05-2016 09:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  question about buying travel machine moretti 6 1,197 11-01-2015 02:40 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  Buying CPAP online from the U.S.? tml678 11 2,301 08-11-2015 04:42 PM
Last Post: zonk
  New guy with questions about buying a used machine Mark Douglas 14 3,752 04-09-2015 01:33 PM
Last Post: Mark Douglas