Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Renting vs Buying CPAP
Renting vs Buying CPAP
When I went in to get my machine, I thought I was buying it, based on the price. I skimmed the paperwork I had to sign, but I admit, I didn't read it as closely as I should have. Friday I got a letter from my insurance company saying my rental of the machine was approved. I have a high deductible plan, so this means nothing, they still don't pay a dime until I've met it, and I may after this thing, but not until. I was confused by the rental bit of it so I looked over my paperwork again and sure enough, it says I'm renting the machine. Did I really just Oh-jeez myself here? The rental is for 10 months.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Renting vs Buying CPAP
Most insurance companies require new patients to "rent" their first machines for a couple of months, in order to ascertain whether the users will be compliant with the therapy. After a specified period, the insurance company should pay for the purchase of the machine.

You may want to contact your insurance company and ask about the rental provisions versus purchasing the machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your out of pocket for "renting" the machine is high, consider just buying one outright. There's some pros and cons to this.

The pros is, of course, related to cost. One, your up front cost is done and over with. Supplier #2 has "gently used" and open box machines for excellent prices. Quite often the price you have to pay for the rent is equal greater than the cost of one of their machines.

The cons are mixed. One is the cost is up front vs spread out over several months. Then there's the cost of supplies. Will your insurance company pay for supplies for a machine they did not "buy"? Machine supplies are limited to filters, humidifier tubs, and hoses.

Insurance companies are all about compliance. They don't want to buy you a machine you aren't going to use. They want to rent one then gather your compliance data.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As you probably noticed, the 10 month rental is more than twice the cost of buying the machine outright. When I needed a new machine, my doctor wrote me a prescription and the DME claimed I would again be required to sign up for the 10 month rental. Since my deductible is also high, it was cheaper for me to buy it over the Internet, so that is what I did.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2013, 04:41 PM)terp1984 Wrote: As you probably noticed, the 10 month rental is more than twice the cost of buying the machine outright. When I needed a new machine, my doctor wrote me a prescription and the DME claimed I would again be required to sign up for the 10 month rental. Since my deductible is also high, it was cheaper for me to buy it over the Internet, so that is what I did.

Yes! Exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the 13 months that Medicare "rented" my S9 Escape, they could have bought me about 3 Autosets. And yes, I have written my congress folk about this several times.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-21-2013, 05:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: In the 13 months that Medicare "rented" my S9 Escape, they could have bought me about 3 Autosets. And yes, I have written my congress folk about this several times.

yep, my insurance company is renting my cpap machine at $59.30 per month not including the hose, chamber, filters, mask, cushion and headgear. They didn't care about compliance according to my insurance company but the DME checked it for 30 days. My DME has no idea how often I can get supplies and that is just sad
Post Reply Post Reply
"Rental" is often "Rent to own" for CPAP.

However, your situation may be different.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I pay enough every month to my health insurance provider. If they want to rent the machine for the rest of my life, replacing it every 5 years, have at it!! I really wouldn't worry about it as long as your being treated.

Im under the Federal Employees Health Benefit Plan and can change providers every year....which I do often, based upon their annual price increases. In the past 10 years, I haven't got a request to send anything back.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the thing is, I haven't met my deductible yet, so the insurance ISN'T paying for it, I am.

I asked the DME when I went back for a mask re-fit on Monday and they confirmed that I am renting, and it's because of insurance. The claim showed up on the online system of my insurance company but for some reason doesn't show the machine. I don't know if that's a seperate claim or what.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 702 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  [CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia. scottie199 103 32,543 02-22-2024, 06:32 PM
Last Post: DB10
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,985 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,084 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 639 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Buying used vauto with replaced motor? fishfinderG 1 579 12-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.