Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Repair experiences?
RE: Repair experiences?
I have a Resmed S8 that I have used for quite a few years. A great little machine. Recently the machine made a whining noise that progressively increased. Sounded very similar to a siren. I was pretty sure the bearings had worn. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a new one when I am pretty sure I can fix the one I own. I began tearing into it as I no longer have a warranty to void.

With a long thin torx driver all of the outer screws came out with relative ease. The outer shell, with a little work, slid apart showing the airtight seals. I was careful not to damage the airtight seals. This revealed the circuit board and two connections, which were carefully removed and set aside. The rubberized steel casing that houses the motor appears to be one piece, but the rubberized top lid separates from the bottom. This revealed the inner motor housing, which has four screws to reveal the actual motor assembly. The bearings are held in place by a small c clip, once that is carefully removed, a little prying removed arbor and bearings.

The bearings on my machine were made by a company called NMB, model #R3HH. I looked around on the internet, as Resmed does not make bearings. The cheapest place I found the bearings was on Amazon. 8 bucks for two of them. These were made in Japan. I have used bearings on other projects. Be sure to stay away bearings made in China as the quality control is a bit iffy. I am sure other CPAP machines with bearing problems could be repaired in much the same way.

Before reassembly I made sure to clean out any excess dust build-up. Reassembly was a snap, and the machine works as good a new.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 11:59 AM)clintga Wrote: I have a Resmed S8 that I have used for quite a few years. A great little machine. Recently the machine made a whining noise that progressively increased. Sounded very similar to a siren. I was pretty sure the bearings had worn. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a new one when I am pretty sure I can fix the one I own. I began tearing into it as I no longer have a warranty to void.

With a long thin torx driver all of the outer screws came out with relative ease. The outer shell, with a little work, slid apart showing the airtight seals. I was careful not to damage the airtight seals. This revealed the circuit board and two connections, which were carefully removed and set aside. The rubberized steel casing that houses the motor appears to be one piece, but the rubberized top lid separates from the bottom. This revealed the inner motor housing, which has four screws to reveal the actual motor assembly. The bearings are held in place by a small c clip, once that is carefully removed, a little prying removed arbor and bearings.

The bearings on my machine were made by a company called NMB, model #R3HH. I looked around on the internet, as Resmed does not make bearings. The cheapest place I found the bearings was on Amazon. 8 bucks for two of them. These were made in Japan. I have used bearings on other projects. Be sure to stay away bearings made in China as the quality control is a bit iffy. I am sure other CPAP machines with bearing problems could be repaired in much the same way.

Before reassembly I made sure to clean out any excess dust build-up. Reassembly was a snap, and the machine works as good a new.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
ThanksThank you so much for sharing your experience. It helps a lot!

I am keeping your explanations as a reference for my own S8, because I intend to keep mine for quite a while.

BTW, would you happen to know a way of directly connecting a USB cable to that unit?

Post Reply Post Reply
APPLAUSE!!
That worked perfectly. Back to being a silent machine again.
Hopefully it has many more hours in its life.

Tips:
1. Look for bearings on eBay if you can't find on Amazon. They were twice the price on Amazon. I found on eBay for $5.95 each (you need two).
2. "A little prying" can be intimidating. When removing the electric motor it took a bit to pop that out. Be careful, it will come off the spindle.
3. Do make sure that everything is fully/tightly sealed when putting it back together. I had one leak in the seal on top of the motor/fan chamber on my first rebuild attempt and it threw an error message. Just went back disassembled and checked them all, put it back together and when I plugged it back in - worked a charm.

Great instructions. Still good all these year later.
Thanks for the post clintga.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
For ResMed, they do get parts for repairing, but the price...
Post Reply Post Reply
archangle wrote: "As far as the odometer, be sure to read the right "hours" number. Both PRS1 and ResMed have a resettable hours and a non-resettable hours. Check my "useful links" below for info."

That's exactly what I'm looking for for a ResMed N10 Autoset. Your useful links don't include it.  Pointer please?

Thanks,

Harv
Thanks to everyone who helps us get a better night's sleep.

Anything I post here or elsewhere on these forums is my opinion, not medical advice. Medical advice comes from a doctor.
An Advisory Member is a member of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.
Such membership does not imply medical expertise or qualifications for advising sleep apnea patients about their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
The easiest way to find actual run hours is in 'My Options', scroll all the way down and select 'About'. The Device Run Hours is near the top of the display.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 146 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 741 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 538 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 629 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 569 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,649 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  [Treatment] MBRP experiences? JonathanG 0 422 06-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: JonathanG

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.