Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Repair experiences?
I have a Resmed S8 that I have used for quite a few years. A great little machine. Recently the machine made a whining noise that progressively increased. Sounded very similar to a siren. I was pretty sure the bearings had worn. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a new one when I am pretty sure I can fix the one I own. I began tearing into it as I no longer have a warranty to void.

With a long thin torx driver all of the outer screws came out with relative ease. The outer shell, with a little work, slid apart showing the airtight seals. I was careful not to damage the airtight seals. This revealed the circuit board and two connections, which were carefully removed and set aside. The rubberized steel casing that houses the motor appears to be one piece, but the rubberized top lid separates from the bottom. This revealed the inner motor housing, which has four screws to reveal the actual motor assembly. The bearings are held in place by a small c clip, once that is carefully removed, a little prying removed arbor and bearings.

The bearings on my machine were made by a company called NMB, model #R3HH. I looked around on the internet, as Resmed does not make bearings. The cheapest place I found the bearings was on Amazon. 8 bucks for two of them. These were made in Japan. I have used bearings on other projects. Be sure to stay away bearings made in China as the quality control is a bit iffy. I am sure other CPAP machines with bearing problems could be repaired in much the same way.

Before reassembly I made sure to clean out any excess dust build-up. Reassembly was a snap, and the machine works as good a new.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2015 12:01 PM by clintga.)
04-23-2015 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
iWallace Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S8 Elite II
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed HumidAire 3i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
RE: Repair experiences?
(04-23-2015 11:59 AM)clintga Wrote:  I have a Resmed S8 that I have used for quite a few years. A great little machine. Recently the machine made a whining noise that progressively increased. Sounded very similar to a siren. I was pretty sure the bearings had worn. I didn’t want to spend the money to buy a new one when I am pretty sure I can fix the one I own. I began tearing into it as I no longer have a warranty to void.

With a long thin torx driver all of the outer screws came out with relative ease. The outer shell, with a little work, slid apart showing the airtight seals. I was careful not to damage the airtight seals. This revealed the circuit board and two connections, which were carefully removed and set aside. The rubberized steel casing that houses the motor appears to be one piece, but the rubberized top lid separates from the bottom. This revealed the inner motor housing, which has four screws to reveal the actual motor assembly. The bearings are held in place by a small c clip, once that is carefully removed, a little prying removed arbor and bearings.

The bearings on my machine were made by a company called NMB, model #R3HH. I looked around on the internet, as Resmed does not make bearings. The cheapest place I found the bearings was on Amazon. 8 bucks for two of them. These were made in Japan. I have used bearings on other projects. Be sure to stay away bearings made in China as the quality control is a bit iffy. I am sure other CPAP machines with bearing problems could be repaired in much the same way.

Before reassembly I made sure to clean out any excess dust build-up. Reassembly was a snap, and the machine works as good a new.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
:thanks:Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It helps a lot!

I am keeping your explanations as a reference for my own S8, because I intend to keep mine for quite a while.

BTW, would you happen to know a way of directly connecting a USB cable to that unit?
09-14-2015 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [CPAP] Whining siren noise and bearing replacement/repair clintga 23 6,358 11-22-2016 02:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea ResMed S8 repair for no power SuperSleeper 4 257 11-17-2016 02:41 PM
Last Post: 10bigal10
  Brand new Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset - Warreny Repair DerfNL 7 639 10-08-2016 07:36 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  Hi, introduction and my experiences sam496 45 4,677 08-22-2016 01:41 PM
Last Post: stanleydean
  Switch repair on Resmed S8 Escape II Images MRIBOB 5 4,533 06-20-2016 05:32 AM
Last Post: sweet dreams
  Hi, introduction and my experiences [Recommendation on settings?] 12344321 11 1,205 05-18-2016 05:31 AM
Last Post: sam496
  [Equipment] Any personal experiences with BMC Luna GII 2.4 Auto Machine Yuley 3 652 05-02-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred