Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Repair experiences?
RE: Repair experiences?
(01-24-2015, 05:32 PM)accurate Wrote: Having said that, and in no way offering a defense for DME's or manufacturers, the FDA does tightly regulate these devices. Any malfunction has to be rigorously documented (believe me, you should see the paperwork we complete for warranty repairs). If it is a malfunction that causes injury, the manufacturer is almost assured of a visit and audit by the FDA.

Exactly to my point, if the manufacturer/FDA licensee has such a big burden on them if their product screws up, it is in their best interests to get that product back in their grubby paws as soon as they can so they can make it right or repair as necessary or at least give pt the cost to do so and the option to proceed. If pt decides not to fix, then send it back with clean hands and conscience with a letter plainly saying the unit is inoperative and cannot be used. If somebody's machine is not working right, and they have a heart attack and ... well, if the malfunctioning machine contributed, then Resmed stands to eat a big poop sammich.

Having said that, the long and laborious and expensive process to get one of these even looked at by the manufacturer just seems like a broken process.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2015, 02:58 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 05:32 PM)accurate Wrote: Having said that, and in no way offering a defense for DME's or manufacturers, the FDA does tightly regulate these devices. Any malfunction has to be rigorously documented (believe me, you should see the paperwork we complete for warranty repairs). If it is a malfunction that causes injury, the manufacturer is almost assured of a visit and audit by the FDA.

Exactly to my point, if the manufacturer/FDA licensee has such a big burden on them if their product screws up, it is in their best interests to get that product back in their grubby paws as soon as they can so they can make it right or repair as necessary or at least give pt the cost to do so and the option to proceed. If pt decides not to fix, then send it back with clean hands and conscience with a letter plainly saying the unit is inoperative and cannot be used. If somebody's machine is not working right, and they have a heart attack and ... well, if the malfunctioning machine contributed, then Resmed stands to eat a big poop sammich.

Having said that, the long and laborious and expensive process to get one of these even looked at by the manufacturer just seems like a broken process.

OMM

OMM,

It does seem contradictory. After 15 years of our company repairing this type of equipment I am surprised that the process hasn't changed. If we can be of any help to you with your Resmed, please go to Supplier #27 on the supplier board and leave us a message. We'll see if we can get you squared away.

Ian McCullough
Accurate Biomed Services

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2015, 04:19 PM)Bompa Wrote: I broke a hinge on the lid of my resMed S9 humidifier.

Taking a look at an exploded diagram it would be easy to change.

I got the part number and gave it to my DME to order the part for me.

ResMed would not sell them the part because they were not a certified repair center.

I temporarily fixed it myself and use it with great care. I am not going to pay a repair bill with shipping charges, etc. I'll just use it until it falls to pieces.

Supplier #1 sells a replacement lid for $20 or so. If you broke the part on the lid, not the part on the humidifier, it might do.

BTW, be sure it's really broken. Attaching that lid is squirrelly. Sometimes it comes off and I can't get it back on, sometimes it almost snaps back on its own.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2015, 10:51 AM)LaurieD Wrote: You are correct that Resmed will not repair it for the end user, or sell the end user parts. However, you just need to find a dealer that has a contract with Resmed. They can send it in to Resmed on your behalf. Find someone who repairs CPAP machines. Call them and ask if they are able to send it into Resmed for you.

All true & sounds fine, except that it is not in the interest of Resmed to repair machines because that makes one less machine they will sell that year. Therefore you can bet the cost of repairs will be more or less the same as a new machine. Another instance of restricted trade practice which is illegal here in Australia.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2015, 05:07 PM)woozie38 Wrote: All true & sounds fine, except that it is not in the interest of Resmed to repair machines because that makes one less machine they will sell that year. Therefore you can bet the cost of repairs will be more or less the same as a new machine. Another instance of restricted trade practice which is illegal here in Australia.

It is usually far less to get the machine repaired than to buy a new machine. It has been our experience that the average repair is about $250 for Resmed machines. The S7 model and older models are not repairable, but the S8 and newer models are repairable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Repair may be an old used Respironics - something called a 560? Probably worn out. It was on CL so how good could it be? I think the odometer must be broken or rolled over past 100,000 miles because total hours show = 0.6. Reading back over this post, I've about changed my mind and probably ought to pass on it.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2015, 08:44 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Repair may be an old used Respironics - something called a 560? Probably worn out. It was on CL so how good could it be? I think the odometer must be broken or rolled over past 100,000 miles because total hours show = 0.6. Reading back over this post, I've about changed my mind and probably ought to pass on it.

OMM

That is a repairable model and might still be under warranty. I will PM you.
Post Reply Post Reply
hmmmm........
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2015, 08:44 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Repair may be an old used Respironics - something called a 560? Probably worn out. It was on CL so how good could it be? I think the odometer must be broken or rolled over past 100,000 miles because total hours show = 0.6. Reading back over this post, I've about changed my mind and probably ought to pass on it.

OMM

The 560 is the latest PRS1 auto machine.

I've bought 7 CPAP machines off of Craigslist and helped a friend buy another. 1 was unused, 6 of them had very little usage, at most a few months. I never had a problem with any of these. Lots of people give up on CPAP quickly.

1 had many, many hours, worn out, and had an intermittent problem, but it did actually work for a while when I got it, and I got it (a PRS1 750 and a good, low hour 560) for $150 for the pair.

As far as the odometer, be sure to read the right "hours" number. Both PRS1 and ResMed have a resettable hours and a non-resettable hours. Check my "useful links" below for info.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually, the unit truly has 0.6 hours ~ 36 minutes on it. I think I got a pretty fair deal. I think I'm gonna continue with the S9 Autoset for a couple more weeks though - until I go into the doc's for annual physical so I can just take the Res scan printout.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 674 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 513 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 546 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,582 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
  [Treatment] MBRP experiences? JonathanG 0 393 06-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Last Post: JonathanG
  Resmed BiPAP repair company in U.S? 17WRX 3 709 05-13-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.