Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Snoring cure that could improve the eyesight of diabetics
Snoring cure that could improve the eyesight of diabetics
A breathing mask used to tackle snoring could help improve vision in the thousands of people with diabetes.

The mask, known as a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device, is worn at night over the nose and mouth.

It is widely used by people with obstructive sleep apnoea — where the soft tissue of the throat collapses, partially blocking the airway.

[Image: article-2164643-13C8A706000005DC-459_468x465.jpg]

Sleep apnoea is a common cause of snoring, and the mask works by forcing a stream of compressed air into the airway which keeps it open.

Scientists have now discovered that this technique may also hold benefits for patients with diabetic retinopathy.

This is where high blood sugar levels damage the light-sensitive cells at the back of the eye, in an area called the retina.

These cells need a constant supply of blood, but a chronically high blood sugar level can leave blood vessels blocked or leaking, leading to blindness if not treated properly.
Forty per cent of people with type 1 diabetes and 20 per cent of those with type 2 diabetes have some degree of retinopathy, with up to 800,000 Britons affected.

A small trial has shown that the night-time mask improves eyesight in patients with diabetic retinopathy after just six months of use.

In the study — at the Churchill Hospital in Oxford — 35 patients with diabetic retinopathy were given the treatment, and their vision improved significantly.

The devices were used every night for varying time periods, with the best results seen in those who wore it for more than two-and-a-half hours.

It’s thought the mask boosts oxygen levels in the blood which, in turn, helps reduce blood pressure.

High blood pressure is known to accelerate the damage to the delicate blood vessels in the eye.

Diabetics are more likely to suffer from sleep apnoea compared to healthy people
Interestingly, research has also shown that diabetics are more likely to suffer from sleep apnoea compared to healthy people.
It’s thought this might partly explain the sight problems linked to diabetes, raising the suggestion that diabetics who regularly snore may be at increased risk of eye damage.

Now, researchers from the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle plan a larger one-year trial on 150 patients with diabetes.

Half of them will use the mask every night, while the remainder will continue with their usual medication.

They will also have regular checks of their visual acuity — clarity or clearness of vision — as well as retina scans and blood tests to check oxygen levels.

Commenting on the research, Professor Glen Jeffery of the Institute of Ophthalmology, says: ‘This is a potentially important finding.

‘Although, initially, the results seems slightly surprising, the scientific rationale behind it makes sense.

‘The study targets problems in the eye, but in the long run it would be interesting to see if it impacts on other problems that diabetics have.

‘There are potentially big advantages if this is effective.
'It is not centred around expensive drug therapy and, hence, it may reduce the very heavy economic and social burden of diabetes.

‘Plus it may also allow the patient’s partner to get a better night’s sleep.’

Scientists have found that cinnamon may help reduce the symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

New research suggests the spice mimics the effects of insulin and triggers tissues in the body to absorb glucose.

Good glycaemic control — control of blood-sugar levels — is an important goal of diabetes care.

Researchers from Imperial College London analysed data from studies involving a total of 435 patients. Cinnamon had been used in a range of doses, from 1-6g a day.

‘Cinnamon may be a viable addition to conventional diabetes management for patients with poorly controlled blood sugar,’ say the team, writing in the journal Clinical Nutrition.

They say the effects of the spice were seen over a relatively short space of time — in some cases as little as four months.

‘Use of cinnamon showed a beneficial effect on glycaemic control and the short-term effects of the use of cinnamon looks promising.’

Other studies suggest that the herbs marjoram and sage may also help reduce the damage caused by type 2 diabetes, due to their high content of antioxidants which help lower inflammation.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Snoring cure that could improve the eyesight of diabetics
I'm not diabetic, but I have noticed an improvement in my eyesight since I started using CPAP 6-7 weeks ago.

I'm nearly 50, and have been using reading glasses for about 4 years. I had this "ah-hah!" moment a few days back, that I realised I hadn't been using my glasses as much and could see smaller print without them than I had in ages.

I used to live at altitude in the Rocky Mountains, and I had a lot of trouble with my night vision there due to the reduce oxygen level in the air. When I moved back to sea level that was greatly reduced.

So, I think there is something to this. Anyone else experience it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 269 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
Question Please help interpret data to improve treatment length during the night GalaxyPast 3 148 04-14-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: GalaxyPast
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 1,004 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,753 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  What my apnea cure looked like progman 7 252 03-08-2024, 08:41 PM
Last Post: SheShells23
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,695 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 254 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.