Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replace CPAP with no prescription
Replace CPAP with no prescription
Is it possible/legal to purchase a CPAP to replace my old one, same model, without a prescription? If so where can I find vendor that will not require it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replace CPAP with no prescription
All CPAP machines and CPAP masks in all their variations are Type II Medical devices.  This means the seller cannot legally sell these devices without a prescription.

That said they are available via various sites or even yard sales.  

NOTE:  DO NOT facilitate a sale or transfer of these devices on Apnea Board.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any physician can write the script for a machine. My GP does mine.

That said, if you need a backup machine, try local sales notices (newspaper) or online sites. Just be very buyer beware and know that their selling and your buying is technically illegal. You can also check out Supplier #2. That's where I got my first Autoset.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many have been obtained through Craigslist, Offerup, Facebook Market and other sources. You can usually search for the exact machine you want and find a low-hour machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've bought two different types of cpap machines via Craigslist and another sleep apnea Internet forum. Both machines worked perfectly and they both were very affordable considering what they normally would sell for from businesses that normally sell used cpap machines. I have very good insurance that would pay for almost all of the cost of the machine but I have had very poor luck with bad sleep medicine doctors who refused to prescribe me the type of machine I needed to continue my treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 134 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 160 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 263 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 627 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,135 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 847 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 1,021 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.