Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replacement machine hassles
RE: Replacement machine hassles
To add to archangle's comments, it may help you swallow the bitter pill by knowing that the vast majority of people who get a Rx for xPAP don't use it after a very brief trial usage, (if even that) leaving a large number of machines gathering dust in the back of closets, or, turn around and sell the machines.
In my own experience, getting a new machine has come when the doc and I were looking at possible changes in pressure or something else at the time of a machine update. So, the compliance visit hasn't been quite that painful coming along with consideration of therapy changes.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2016, 02:14 PM)Dawei Wrote: To add to archangle's comments, it may help you swallow the bitter pill by knowing that the vast majority of people who get a Rx for xPAP don't use it after a very brief trial usage, (if even that) leaving a large number of machines gathering dust in the back of closets, or, turn around and sell the machines.
In my own experience, getting a new machine has come when the doc and I were looking at possible changes in pressure or something else at the time of a machine update. So, the compliance visit hasn't been quite that painful coming along with consideration of therapy changes.

David

I completely agree, sadly compliance is one of the hardest parts of healthcare. I on the other hand am HIGHLY motivated. When the doctor said I had OSA, I smiled and that that is great news! He looked puzzled and I said, we can fix that, if I didn't have OSA then I would have no idea why I am so tired. I look forward to using the machine and tuning it as much as possible to get better, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired!

(not to mention that my tossing and turning and waking up and going down all night keeps my wife awake ruining her sleep!)
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Frank's comment about being sick and tired of being sick and tired inspired me to share this. I recently renewed my appreciation for xPAP therapy. Two nights ago, the power died at 11:30 p.m. for 41 residences including mine. At the time, I was on the hose and asleep. Within the hour, I was awake. Of course, I started thinking about the several emergency power ideas folks on the forum have discussed and put together. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of them. In a nutshell, the rest of the night was not fun. On my back without xPAP and snoring big time begins. On my side can't last long due to quickly developing hip pain. Electric power was finally restored just before 9 p.m. last night. When I put on the mask, I was thinking, 'bring on the air'! It was a great sleep that reminded me of the importance of the therapy and how grateful I am to have it.

David
Post Reply Post Reply
Once again I end up confused, symptoms described here have little or no comparison to anything I have had, and were it not for wanting my driving licence returned, my machine would be gathering dust along with many others.

For the benefit of a Limey, could you please explain what you mean by compliance in the context of CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 08:57 AM)Phill Wrote: For the benefit of a Limey, could you please explain what you mean by compliance in the context of CPAP?

The word "compliance" with regard to CPAP is usually used in the context of health care insurance. To get an insurance company to pay for the ongoing use of a CPAP machine, they require a patient use the CPAP machine a minimum number of hours each night (usually an average of at least 4 hours per night over a one-month period).

So, the insurance companies say you are "compliant" with your CPAP treatment if your average number of CPAP usage is at least 4 hours each night.

When Frank said, "...compliance is one of the hardest parts of healthcare" he meant that getting folks to use the CPAP machine consistently each night is difficult".

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 10:15 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: When Frank said, "...compliance is one of the hardest parts of healthcare" he meant that getting folks to use the CPAP machine consistently each night is difficult".

The health care compliance problem is much broader than just getting OSA patients to use their CPAPs every night.

There are studies out there that show many, many people do not take medication for chronic conditions as instructed. That too a major "compliance" issue in terms of health care.

Lots of folks who in physical therapy "forget" to do the daily exercises, and that's also a compliance issue. (And then they wonder why things don't get better as fast as expected.)

And of course "compliance" in the form of diet is a huge issue when treating diabetics.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, I hear 'ya RobySue. Especially when folks are older and are prone to forgetfulness or dementia issues.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good of you to explain that for me SS.

When I was given my machine I signed an agreement that I would use it as instructed, of course under our system there is no question of payment, unless you are unhappy with the equipment/treatment provided and you decide to go down your own route.

It would be my guess that to get my driving licence returned I would need to show that I had been using the machine with good results, hence the word compliance could be used in that context as well.

Which takes me back to the Catch 22 situation I have explained previously, I don't believe the treatment is doing me any good at all, but I am unlikely to be allowed to drive unless I can prove I am using the machine.

Perhaps some kind person could send me a decent data set each month which I can then load onto my SD card.Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
"There are studies out there that show many, many people do not take medication for chronic conditions as instructed. That too a major "compliance" issue in terms of health care."

This of course assumes the correct diagnosis has been made in the first place.

When I started on the Apnea path the quack claimed I had high blood pressure and would have to take medication, I pointed out that there had been no indication of this despite numerous tests previously, tough, take the pills!

The medication went in the trash can, subsequently two other doctors said I had taken the correct action, home monitoring over 6 weeks confirmed there was not a problem with my BP.

Had I followed the original doctors instructions, I would have been taking BP medication for ever more, for no good reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2016, 02:05 PM)SaldusMiegas Wrote: BTW, would love to read a few words on your thoughts and experience of six years in therapy.

Saldus Miegas

p.s. congrats on the new machine. I'm only a year into this myself but guessing that you will love it compared to whatever the noise level and data capabilities of a six year old machine were.
I'm not completely surprised by my experience, but was wondering if it was the norm. It would seem logical that evidence of 6 years of compliance would be enough to waive the 90 days "test", but its probably not economical to have an exception, it costs me a Dr visit copay, but costs the insurance much more. At least I can say that I tried to save them money.

I find that my 6 year old Resmed System 1 wasn't really noisy, I think it got a little louder over the years, but not much, it wasn't an issue, in fact the machine still works great, except it turns off & on randomly several times a night. There really isn't any new data with the Dream machine, the same minimal info is available as the System One had. I assume however that the SD card is full of data just like the System One, it only has to be mined by a program like Sleepyhead.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,088 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 211 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,804 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,373 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,011 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 252 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,217 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.