Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replacement options - new machine soon
Replacement options - new machine soon
Both my DH and I are due for replacement machines in the coming months. We have the same models although different settings and head gear.

We each have a second machine primarily used for travel and we each have DC adapter cables for these machines to use traveling and camping.  

Last time I was at my DME getting supplies, they noted that they are now issuing Dream Stations instead of the PR system one models we have. 

We need these travel machines as both of us have had damage issues traveling (yes, they are carried on, but we do some rugged travel) and are not willing to risk breaking our daily use machines.  

I don't relish getting 4 new machines and insurance will only cover one per person.  I have questions:

1. Will the DC adapters we have work with newer models?
  2. Are the hoses used the same size?
  3. Do the new Dream stations have data cards and can they be read and combined with data from the older models at the Drs office or by Sleepyhead
  4. Is a Dream Station a good replacement model for the older model?
  5. How durable are they?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacement options - new machine soon
If you look through the suppliers list http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List You can probably get all your Questions answered.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sansnap, I used the System One machine myself. The Dreamstation is a new form-factor of the same machine. I think if you use a heated tube you will need to change to a new one, data cards are the same, and the therapy is virtually unchanged with some new options in the Auto model. I'm not sure, but I think you will need a new AC adapter. In most cases the machine is delivered with these accessories (power supply, SD card, humidifier tray, filters etc.). I don't see any reason to be concerned about what old parts you can keep. Keep the old machine as a backup. The Dreamstations are 12-volt machines but to the best of my knowledge require a different DC adapter. DC adapters sold for the System One specifically warn they cannot be used with other Philips models. I don't know what the difference is, but $25 for a new adapter should not be a show-stopper.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My first machine was the Dreamstation and second machine was the 560P. I used the 80w power supply from the Dreamstation on the 560 without issue. The heated hose upgrade for the 560 accepts the heated hose from my Dreamstation and works just fine as well. The 60w power supply from the 560 will only work with either machine if the heated hose option is not attached. For the 560 that means it has to be used without the upgrade or without the upgraded humidifier. The Dreamstation will function on a 60w power supply without the humidifier assembly installed. The 80w power supply will run either machine in any configuration.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
My neighbor recently got a new machine and insisted that they order a 560 series. He didn't want to change anything in his RV camping. In 5 years, he won't be able to do so (Parkinsons). So, he had to wait an extra 3 weeks, but got his 560 series model (medicare). I also personally think the 560 series is more durable than the Dreamstation just from handling one.

In answer to some of your questions, the heated hose is specific to your series. So you'd need different heated hoses for 560 and Dreamstation. If you use standard, unheated hoses, those are interchangeable between all machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why are you getting new machines?  Who's telling you that you need to do that?  

The medical mafia wants you to buy new machines every x years, but I think it's not really necessary unless you have problems with the old machine.  My old S9 machine tells me I need to replace it because it's got too many hours on the motor, but it works fine.  

The new Philips Respironics machines are not particularly improved over your 560 machine.

What machine do you have for your travel machine?   If you don't use them much, and they are undamaged, there's even less need to replace them.

Some people will go ahead and get a new machine at any time their insurance will pay for it, but you might have to use the new machine until it's paid for by your insurance.   BTW, insurance is getting less willing to pay to replace a machine just because it's old.   It's becoming common for them to refuse to pay unless the old machine is broken.   Many people have reported that DME's will falsely report the machine is broken when it isn't.

If you're paying out of pocket, consider ordering online.   You'll need a prescription, but you'll pay a LOT less than you will from your local DME. 

Masks, hoses, and filters may need to be replaced frequently, but not so much for machines.   Especially if it's a 560 machine, which isn't really obsolete.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2018, 08:04 PM)archangle Wrote: Why are you getting new machines?  Who's telling you that you need to do that?  

The medical mafia wants you to buy new machines every x years, but I think it's not really necessary unless you have problems with the old machine.  My old S9 machine tells me I need to replace it because it's got too many hours on the motor, but it works fine.  

The new Philips Respironics machines are not particularly improved over your 560 machine.

What machine do you have for your travel machine?   If you don't use them much, and they are undamaged, there's even less need to replace them.

Some people will go ahead and get a new machine at any time their insurance will pay for it, but you might have to use the new machine until it's paid for by your insurance.   BTW, insurance is getting less willing to pay to replace a machine just because it's old.   It's becoming common for them to refuse to pay unless the old machine is broken.   Many people have reported that DME's will falsely report the machine is broken when it isn't.

If you're paying out of pocket, consider ordering online.   You'll need a prescription, but you'll pay a LOT less than you will from your local DME. 

Masks, hoses, and filters may need to be replaced frequently, but not so much for machines.   Especially if it's a 560 machine, which isn't really obsolete.
Insurance is paying for a single replacement for each and currently does this about every 5 years or when a machine fails. His machine is almost 6 years old. Mine is about 3 years old but has been replaced twice due to travel damage the current machine is showing signs of failing.  According to the DME it's not blowing as it should - long story there but the bottom line is that insurance will pay for a single replacement for each of us.    I have the same machine for travel (carbon copy of the 560). Neither of us uses a heated hose.     My guess is that the doc will write a script as requested and so the machine choices are our to make so long as they meet the basic reqs for therapy.  Since Insurance is covering replacement cost I don't see any reason to wait.
Post Reply Post Reply
Circling back on this with a follow up. A few weeks ago my home use machine stopped writing data to the sd card. I took it into the provider and they tried a few things (reset, new card and a modem) and it's not working. So - it's time to make some new machine choices. They will provide either a Dreamstation or an Airsense Autoset 10. Since I'll need a DC converter for travel (and will have to buy) not sure if this may be a consideration.

Any input about which might be preferable?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you liked your results with the Remstar, the Dreamstation is the same machine, and easy to run on 12 volts. Dreamstation 12 volt power cords are about $30. If you want to explore more bilevel-like pressure relief and a faster response to respiratory flow limitation that generally results i lower AHI and more comfort, get the Resmed Autoset, and be prepared to pay about $85 for DC converter. With that cost of entry difference, both can run on 12 volts with about the same efficiency. Personally, I Prefer the more compact form factor and comfort of the Resmed...YMMV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Having used both machines for some time now, the Resmed has been my machine of choice.

I like the design of the Resmed humidifier tub. I was always concerned about passing an open container of water over top of my machine whenever I topped off the tub. The Resmed snaps closed and slides into the side of the machine. The Resmed also has baffles inside that help prevent water from sloshing out while moving the filled tub around. Also had the hose attached to the lid of the Dreamstation which made refills awkward if you refill with the hose attached.

The footprint of the Resmed is smaller than the Dreamstation. At first I thought that the narrower profile would have made tipping the Resmed over easier but I've yet to budge it even slightly.

The screen is larger and easier to read on the Resmed. I personally think the display is more attractive, but I rarely even look at it.

The on/off switch on the Resmed is smaller, which I find tougher to find in my post-slumber daze. The Dreamstation is wide and long like a snooze button on an alarm clock.

For features, the EPR (Resmed) is preferential for comfort in most circumstances as is FLEX on Philips products. FLEX and EPR are completely different from each other in funtionality. I use neither, so I cannot advise. I can say that it is a matter of patient preference.

I liked the bluetooth APP, Dreammapper for the Dreamstation. It was my lazy way to look at my nights sleep and it was a decent APP to lightly monitor trends. Resmed uses a web based platform (myAir) to do the same thing, but their approach is different with a scoring system and a lack of any details and minimal statistics. Personally, I find MyAir mostly useless other than the AHI score. Dreammapper was much better.

The one thing that I certainly enjoy on Resmed rather than the Dreamstation is the Auto On setting. The Resmed machine comes on automatically so fast that I barely have time to get my mask on before it starts therapy pressures. The Dreamstation never really worked in auto on, but my Dad says it works well for him even though we use identical masks and hoses. Auto off works the same on both machines, but I hit the button. I don't want to wake up the lady or the baby unhooking in the morning.

Both machines do the job well, I'm partial to the Resmed.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,062 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,125 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,899 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,796 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.