Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replacement options - new machine soon
RE: Replacement options - new machine soon
Oh my goodness gracious! Someone might see my Tidal Volume.

Nervous
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reference to the article about Google & Resmed. In case the URL gets deleted by a moderator, the article for anyone who wants to look it up is "Alphabet's Verily forms joint venture with ResMed to study sleep apnea" by Natalie Gagliordi on zdnet, July 11, 2018. By the way, zdnet is a good example of why ad-blockers exist.

About the data payload being large, in just the compliance part it isn't; I think that includes only the starting & ending times, AHI, and leak rate for each sleep session. The complete data are only on the SD card. However, the general problem exists even so, and it will only get worse with each new generation of machines.

I think I understand where Sleeprider is coming from, and I sympathize, and I wish everything were hunky-dory with the supposed (or imagined) benevolence of the CPAP manufacturers and the DMEs and the insurers and so on: all the intended recipients of the data. But I have doubts.

Sorry to be melodramatic, but ...

"What luck for the rulers that men do not think!" (good old Adolf)

(In our era, the megacorporations are the rulers and the governments are their wholly-owned subsidiaries. No joke, unfortunately.)

It's likely that fewer than 1% of patients who use CPAP machines both know and care that their summary data are being collected & stored by someone other than their doctors or DMEs. By that measure, there's no problem! Why should the remaining 99.x% care about it either?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2018, 09:02 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Oh my goodness gracious! Someone might see my Tidal Volume.

Deliberate point-missing? (a.k.a. straw man)

It should be your decision whether to publish your numbers. Not anybody else's decision.

P.S. Besides, you've disabled your machine's cellular module, so don't try to pretend that you're on the opposing side. Devil's advocate, OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2018, 09:08 PM)Fats Drywaller Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 09:02 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Oh my goodness gracious! Someone might see my Tidal Volume.

Deliberate point-missing?  (a.k.a. straw man)

It should be your decision whether to publish your numbers.  Not anybody else's decision.

P.S.  Besides, you've disabled your machine's cellular module, so don't try to pretend that you're on the opposing side.  Devil's advocate, OK.

I went a year and a half before I disabled it. It wasn't out of fear of my info getting out it was more about wanting to see how hard it was to do it. Not very hard as it turned out. Reading the warranty it says not to alter the machine or repair it. By unplugging the modem I would argue that neither is being done. The machine isn't altered or repaired. However if you needed to send it in you could always plug it back in.

Even easier would be to use the airplane mode.

One thing I know is that Remed is the best machine on the market for my health and I wouldn't let a modem interfere with taking care of it.

Buy the Resmed.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that owners of the devices should have a convenient option to disable the transmission of their data.

I also fully support those who want to educate and inform others that their data is being shared. What I don't support is advising people who to disable it, without also informing them that they are also removing the ability to have any updates pushed.

Anyone who wants to modify their machine should do so knowing who they are gaining and what they are giving up.

Not informing them is negligent.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2018, 10:00 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: I agree that owners of the devices should have a convenient option to disable the transmission of their data.

I also fully support those who want to educate and inform others that their data is being shared. What I don't support is advising people who to disable it, without also informing them that they are also removing the ability to have any updates pushed.

Anyone who wants to modify their machine should do so knowing who they are gaining and what they are giving up.

There has only been one update ever put out over the modem in the history of the machines. It was well publicized and you would hear about it if another update came out. In that case it would be an easy matter to reconnect the modem. It is a reversible procedure. Now your informed.   Bigwink
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2018, 11:06 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 10:00 PM)Dog Slobber Wrote: I agree that owners of the devices should have a convenient option to disable the transmission of their data.

There has only been one update ever put out over the modem in the history of the machines. It was well publicized and you would hear about it if another update came out. In that case it would be an easy matter to reconnect the modem. It is a reversible procedure. Now your informed.   Bigwink

Really?

Humidifier OTA upgrade sx567-0205 in 2015
Response Soft/Standard OTA upgrade sx567-0305 in 2016

And given that I'm on sx567-0306 suggests another one since 2016
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used ResMed's S9 and AirSense 10, but prefer the DreamStation Go APAP. I actually have two for myself. One I use at home. One I keep in my travel bag.

I have traveled over 100,000 miles with the Go in many countries. The Go is compact and solid. Has been dropped. Works perfectly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2018, 12:31 AM)Dog Slobber Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 11:06 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:

Really?

And given that I'm on sx567-0306 suggests another one since 2016
The Humidifier OTA upgrade sx567-0205 in 2015 is the only one that was updated by modem.

The Humidifier OTA upgrade sx567-0205 in 2015 was NOT by modem.

That was a factory upgrade as I'm sure your sx567-0306 is.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, I've changed my mind, although not about the need for privacy. Regarding the practical side of the corporate data-mining, after thinking about it some more (and sleeping on it), I'm not able to imagine any disastrous situation. I admit that it's nothing like credit-card numbers or identity theft. So I'm more inclined to agree with SR and Wally that it's not a big deal in any practical way. Commercial drivers have the most at stake, but even there I don't know of any likely problem, and for everyone else it's probably trivial.

So that still leaves all of the serious objections in principle to corporate data-mining, what is now called "Big Data" in an attempt to put a friendly spin on it, as if it were the Jolly Green Giant. And to those objections, the ISO-standard response of the corporations has always been "All you have to do is to abandon your principles, and everything will be fine!" A perfect example of that was the godlike pronouncement by that disgusting corporate weasel Scott McNealy that "You have no privacy. Get over it." That's what they want: for us to get over it and to abdicate all choice in the matter.

(And so much for Google's supposed and absurd "Don't be evil" ... that sure got flushed as soon as it was no longer defensible, didn't it? That's like Jeff Bezos saying "Don't be rich.")

As I said, I don't have any useful response, or any way to fight back, other than by disconnecting the cellular data link. (I also don't ever carry a tracking device around with me, but then I'm an oddball to begin with.) Warranties are vastly overrated. So are firmware updates. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,033 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,816 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,892 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,795 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.