Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replacement schedule - is this really necessary?
Replacement schedule - is this really necessary?
Here in Oz CPAP machines and supplies are not well covered by insurance - it's basically all out of pocket with a small refund. So I was rather horrified when I read this page, posted in another thread: http://www.resmed.com/us/documents/10134...sories.pdf

I realise the schedule is not actually prescriptive, but do people really change a mask or hose after three months or a humidifier tub after six months? If so - why? Do they physically wear out, or is it to avoid fungal buildup and infection?

I tend to hang onto stuff as long as it is serviceable and not just replace it for the heck of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacement schedule - is this really necessary?
Paul, I agree I have had all my equipment for 2 and a half years now. I just upgraded to a new mask last week because my cushion was leaking more and more. The Quattro Air cost me $300. I could have got it over the net for $179 but wasn't sure of the size and didn't get anything back on insurance. If you clean and maintain your equipment properly it will last years.
Post Reply Post Reply
DeepBreathing, I'm in Canberra and in the same boat as you in regards to CPAP replacement bits n pieces. Fortunately my Cpap machine is a loan from ACT Health due to me being a Health Care Card Holder but I still have to pay for preplacement bits n pieces. My first CPAP Machine brokedown and was replaced with Phillips within a few days.

Have any Australian's here found any places selling CPAP accessories at a decent price?
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
You really need to get them over the net from a US supplier, Zonk seems to have had luck with a supplier. I had to buy my CPAP because I have private health insurance, paid $2,500 all up and go $500 back. To be honest I can afford it but would have paid 10 times that to get the right machine and treatment as our health is everything. I'm going to get my next equipment over the net as I'm not such a newbie anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 03:31 AM)Tez62 Wrote: You really need to get them over the net from a US supplier, Zonk seems to have had luck with a supplier. I had to buy my CPAP because I have private health insurance, paid $2,500 all up and go $500 back. To be honest I can afford it but would have paid 10 times that to get the right machine and treatment as our health is everything. I'm going to get my next equipment over the net as I'm not such a newbie anymore.

I'm in much the same boat, except that I need an ASV Adapt machine which is way more expensive but only gets the same miserable rebate. At least I got a few sweeteners - humidifier, heated hose and mask (Quattro Air) included in the price, plus they deducted the cost of four weeks hire, gave me a five year warranty and unlimited consultations during the warranty period. I don't know how much I'll use the consultations, but it's nice to know they're available. And I have a great therapist!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 03:15 AM)DrWho? Wrote: Have any Australian's here found any places selling CPAP accessories at a decent price?
Supplier #10 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List
Both suppliers #2 and #10 ship outside US but Supplier #2 don,t sell masks parts separately

Post Reply Post Reply
I change mine according to the medicare guidelines and they were designed to prevent infections and for sanitary reasons. Plus, something as simple as changing the filters 2 times per month (in the US, they are very inexpensive), preserves the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed gasps for air as Obama policy hits
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business...6679286925#

Implemented by President Barack Obama, the program requires suppliers to submit bids to provide certain equipment and supplies at a lower price than Medicare has previously paid.

Medicare then uses those bids to set the reimbursement rates, meaning a price cut for the Continuous Positive Airway Pressure machine category of more than 40 per cent from July 1.

Concerns competitive bidding could damage the company's profitability have been compounded by suggestions it faces competition from new market entrants to the US, largely low-cost manufacturers based offshore or selling online.

This means its not certain that you,re going to get an APAP or data capable machine (more likely .. cheap brick) and if the DME in your local area not been successful in competitive bidding, you have to find one outside your area or pay the full price with no Medicare reimbursement

Does it also mean ... prices in Australia might fall
Wishful thinking .... pigs might fly Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 05:48 AM)zonk Wrote: Does it also mean ... prices in Australia might fall
Wishful thinking .... pigs might fly Dielaughing

Ha! More likely prices will go up to offset losses in the US. Angry Crying-into-tissue

Anyhow, this is a thread about what is clinically necessary / advisable. Let's not turn it into another political one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 02:28 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I tend to hang onto stuff as long as it is serviceable and not just replace it for the heck of it.

Me too, even though I am in the US where prices are more reasonable. Even if it doesn't cost me anything to get a replacement, as long as the old stuff is working, why bother and why create more unnecessary waste for the landfills?

This thread reminded me to check the filter on my S9 Autoset. It is about three months old and it looks like new. The air in my bedroom is pretty clean and I don't have allergy problems, so I'm just going to leave it there. On the other hand, Medicare here will pay for a new mask every three months, and I usually do replace my Wisp on schedule because they are not well made and they fall apart on me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,073 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 205 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,907 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem DMAllen 18 5,799 02-25-2024, 05:36 AM
Last Post: Neo2020
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 264 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.