Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replacing old RemStar, any advice?
RE: Replacing old RemStar, any advice?
Just something I've noticed is that several of the suppliers will offer a call in discount, and even some that don't advertise a call in discount will give you one if you call. Don't know why they do that, probably figure if you call them, you are more likely to buy.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 05:07 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is my first awareness of the new BT models.

Yep...when I was talking to my Dr.'s assistant yesterday to fax in my Rx to the website, she kept saying, "But they don't make one. It's an add on module you buy". Rolleyes

Since the model had *zero* reviews, I figured that they did the natural thing and made a new model with Bluetooth built-in.

I'm also hoping that if the old model had any bugs or complaints, they were addressed here.

The introductory "call-in" discount price was the thing that drew me over and made me pull the trigger.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Opal (or Rose)...it looks like they have lifted my probation. Grin

For those who are interested, here is my answer to OpalRose's question about "call in" quotes etc.:

Quote:I am in consumer electronics (TV and such) and the "call for discount price" or "click into cart to see the price" is used all the time.

The reason is that the manufacturers have an SRP (suggested retail price) and a MAP (minimum advertised price).

If they sell below the MAP price they will not get any rebates, co-op advertising etc.

So by showing the MAP price for all to see (which is below the suggested retail price, remember, so it already looks like a nice discount ) the dealer can sell below MAP by making you, the consumer, go an extra step and so get the further discounted price. Thus not violating MAP.

Everybody is happy:

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi eddie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with the new machine and much success as you continue your CPAP therapy..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW....about that call in price.

I was lurking around that site (#1 on the supplier's list Grin ), a saw a new (to me) mask that might be an answer to a prayer. The Amara View Full Face. Apparently I open my mouth at night. No Full Face has worked and long ago I settled on a Comfort Gel Nasal Mask and then tape my mouth shut with 3" tape. I'm hoping this new design will solve my dry mouth problem and I can lose the tape. (and use reading glases Grin )

Anyway, the price was $169 but it also had that "call for our price". So I did and it is winging its way here. This is the confirming email I was sent:

Thank you for shopping with [censored... Grin ]. Your order number is 1326713. Please review the item(s) you have purchased:

Product Unit Price Quantity Total

Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear - Small $120.00
Return Insurance For Amara View Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear $0.00

Subtotal: $120.00
Shipping: Free
Total Price: $120.00
(08-14-2015, 07:37 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi eddie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with the new machine and much success as you continue your CPAP therapy..

First time with an Auto machine and reporting software. I'm kinda excited!

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2015, 07:13 PM)eddie willers Wrote:
(08-14-2015, 05:24 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
Hey Opal (or Rose)...it looks like they have lifted my probation. Grin

For those who are interested, here is my answer to OpalRose's question about "call in" quotes etc.:

Quote:I am in consumer electronics (TV and such) and the "call for discount price" or "click into cart to see the price" is used all the time.

The reason is that the manufacturers have an SRP (suggested retail price) and a MAP (minimum advertised price).

If they sell below the MAP price they will not get any rebates, co-op advertising etc.

So by showing the MAP price for all to see (which is below the suggested retail price, remember, so it already looks like a nice discount ) the dealer can sell below MAP by making you, the consumer, go an extra step and so get the further discounted price. Thus not violating MAP.

Everybody is happy:
Philips-Respironics Pricing Policy
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing-Policy
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank's Zonk.

I read the PDF and see that Philips is a little more restrictive and won't even allow a "Place in cart to see price" option like Best Buy etc. use on their websites for hot and highly competitive items. (they also want to make it harder for their competitors to see their price as well. Everybody wants to be 5 cents cheaper Grin )

I guess that's why you have to call (instead of move to the cart) to get the lower Philips price. Its there in black and white on their policy paper.

I am sure other manufacturers have even a stiffer policy. Just TRY to buy Bose speakers for anything less than the advertised price.

Only a few times do they have a Bose Authorized Sale but even then, every dealer will show the exact same 'sale' price. When I was working at a HiFi store in Atlanta, you could be fired if you were caught selling Bose at a discount!

PS. Just so you know...Bose speakers suck at ANY price. Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
But Bose Noise Cancelling headphones don't suck at any price - still the best on the market, according to our audiology lab tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2015, 03:38 AM)DocWils Wrote: But Bose Noise Cancelling headphones don't suck at any price - still the best on the market, according to our audiology lab tests.

Probably so, but any headphone that cancels noise would not be considered "audiophile".

The original 901 was an interesting speaker to say the least. Dr. Amar Bose had a good idea there. He knew that at live concerts, sound is reflected all around. In fact, most of what you heard in a concert hall is sound reflected from ceilings, floors etc.

His Direct/Reflecting idea and design was a step in the right direction but had the proportions wrong. (one front firing, 2 pairs of four on the back of the trapezoid shaped cabinet.) and lacked deep bass. Heck...look at the new Dolby Atmos system which can have up to 24 speakers on the floor and 10 overhead!

Other speaker manufacturers took the idea and made even better direct/reflecting speakers. Of course any speaker (but especially for those designed to create reflections) needs to be placed in a proper position in a proper rectangular room. (pre-digital)

What's exciting in this digital age, however, is the ability to electronically / sonically change your listening environment to mimic various rooms or a movie theater using feed-back microphones and built-in equalizer algorithms. And they are getting better all the time as processing memory and speed keep increasing.

Today, you can get VERY good sound for almost any budget.

But for "Audiophile" quality, it is still an expensive hobby. And since Bose is expensive, many neophytes assume they are "high end". But as we old stereo salesmen say:

"No highs, no lows....it MUST be Bose". Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2015, 03:38 AM)DocWils Wrote: But Bose Noise Cancelling headphones don't suck at any price - still the best on the market, according to our audiology lab tests.

I agree with both your statement about the BOSE sound cancelling headphones and the previous comment that BOSE speakers generally stink.

I have a pair of QC25's and it hurt to buy them because I generally hate BOSE so much. But not only do they have the best noise cancelling available in a headphone they also have excellent sound. No it's not ultra high end, but it's perfectly satisfactory for listening to classical music with a bit of help from the equalizer on my Android tablet.

I wear them every night when I go to bed to eliminate the roaring of the oxygen concentrator.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 291 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.