Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Respironics
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Replacing supplies
I have been using a Redmed S9 auto for two years with great success. Every month my equipment supplier sends me an email telling me what supplies my insurance will pay to have replaced. The list always includes filters, heated tube, regular tube, headgear and pillows. With the exception of the headgear that does wear out, I haven't replaced anything. My question is should I be replacing this other equipment?
I did replace the filter once, but truthfully, it looked no different than the new one. How dirty can it get? Unless you're using the machine in a rock quarry or a coal mine, it's filtering the same air as I'm breathing all day.
The tubes and pillows all seem fine.
09-23-2015 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

RE: Replacing supplies
Welcome to the forum,
It's totally up to you! There are reasons why insurance agrees to the replacement schedule.
The tubes, pillows do wear out. As far as the filters go, I'm a strong believer in replacing them once a month. Just because you can't see dust and fine particles in the air doesn't mean that they are not there. Besides doing possible damage to your machine with dirty filters, just think what it could do to your lungs.

Take advantage of your insurance replacement schedule, this way if something breaks or wears out, you have an extra on hand.

OpalRose
09-23-2015 08:17 AM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

IMHO the filter is more about protecting the machine.

I would order enough supplies to have spares. You don't want to be masking up only to find your hose has a leak...
Most PAPers have at least one of everything -- I even have a spare power brick.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-23-2015 10:45 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi Ride1992,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's up to you as to how often you want to replace your supplies. If you haven't replaced any of your mask parts, such as cushions, in a long time, you might want to replace them, because they don't seal as well as they get older. You might want to get a new filter for your machine, too.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
09-23-2015 03:37 PM
parkerdt Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: WISP, Nuance
Humidifier: Climate Hose and included humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments: I alternate between WISP and fabric Nuance - like both!

Yeah, I have a spare hose, a spare water tank, spare mask parts, etc. Don't want to be without!

Of your original list though, I do change my mask cushions twice a month, and my filter monthly. I have dogs, and my filter is noticeably dirty in 30 days.
After 2 weeks, my mask cushions are noticeably less resilient, and my leak rate goes up, so I swap 'em out.

I swapped the hose at 3 months, and kept the old one as my spare. But I would not personally go without swapping my cushions and filter regularly.

Dave
09-23-2015 08:07 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
robertbuckley Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resprionics BiPAP Auto SV Advanced
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F-10 Full Face
Humidifier: Resprionics System One
CPAP Pressure: EEP 15; PS 4 - 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I have both a foam filter and then a "disposable" white allergen, etc. fine filter on the input. Most insurance and Medicare allow replacement of the foam filter after 6 months and allow 2 white filters every month.
I live in New York City. The white filter is grey within a week, and almost black after 2 weeks. I try to replace the white filter every week, even though I have to buy the additional filters out of pocket. I also wash the foam filter every week (I have 2 going in rotation so I don't have to wait for it to dry), and because foam filter is black, you can't really tell what is going on with it - but based on the white filters - I replace with a new 2 in rotation every 3-4 months. Really should replace filters at a minimum at the manufacturer's recommended timings.
The hoses - I don't need every 3 months - just wash every week.
09-24-2015 12:56 PM
lmoretti Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR System One 60 with AFlex
Mask Make & Model: Resmed P10
Humidifier: PR
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

Right now I'm ordering everything I can as I've met my deductible for the year and my insurance is covering it 100%.

I didn't think I needed to replace my pillows often, but last time I compared the old pillow and the new pillow and was shocked at how much stiffer the new one was, and how much less force was required to get it to seal. I was having some nose soreness issues but after switching pillows I've let up on how tight my mask has to be and they've gone away.
09-25-2015 09:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
so_unique1 Offline

New Members

Machine: none
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: unsure
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(09-23-2015 07:47 AM)Ride1992 Wrote:  I have been using a Redmed S9 auto for two years with great success. Every month my equipment supplier sends me an email telling me what supplies my insurance will pay to have replaced. The list always includes filters, heated tube, regular tube, headgear and pillows. With the exception of the headgear that does wear out, I haven't replaced anything. My question is should I be replacing this other equipment?
I did replace the filter once, but truthfully, it looked no different than the new one. How dirty can it get? Unless you're using the machine in a rock quarry or a coal mine, it's filtering the same air as I'm breathing all day.
The tubes and pillows all seem fine.

My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.
10-04-2015 08:23 AM
MobileBasset Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AIRCURVE 10 V Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Zest
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: 10 (minE 6,maxI 12, PS 3)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

(10-04-2015 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote:  My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.

I have to disagree.
I don't breath through an air filter so I feel like the regular OEM filter I use in the PAP is already providing cleaner air while I'm sleeping than I get while I'm awake. i change it regularly to keep the air flow from being clogged.

IMHO spending effort and money fussing over special filters is energy wasted.
Use that energy to keep your mask and hose clean and check your data.

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
10-04-2015 08:53 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(10-04-2015 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote:  My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.

Sir: What kind of machine do you have?

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-04-2015 09:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Where to get Inexpensive Supplies margy72 21 957 11-06-2016 06:59 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  VA and CPAP supplies ZZDave 14 4,514 08-06-2016 02:29 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Will DME Supplier provide different Mask as Replacement Supplies photosmike 8 589 06-09-2016 03:24 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Replacement supplies from Medicare galenaforest 4 676 05-25-2016 11:34 AM
Last Post: galenaforest
  Replacing Resmed S8 autoset Ognom 8 671 05-05-2016 02:09 AM
Last Post: Ognom
  Cpap supplies shortyd 1 461 04-12-2016 08:06 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Anyone use Landauer Medstar (NY)for supplies?? vig1116 2 1,099 03-17-2016 02:20 PM
Last Post: vig1116