Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Replacing supplies
(10-04-2015 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote:  My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.

The air coming from your machine is no different than the air you are breathing without the machine on. The variables are cleanliness of the tank, hose, and mask. All of which are after the filter.

Of primary importance is viewable, worthwhile data.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-04-2015 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Jim Bronson Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 9.2
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

(10-04-2015 01:40 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote:  My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.

The air coming from your machine is no different than the air you are breathing without the machine on. The variables are cleanliness of the tank, hose, and mask. All of which are after the filter.

Of primary importance is viewable, worthwhile data.
I agree. Unless something happens to make me change my mind, I think a lot of needless emphasis is placed on cleanliness. A CPAP machine is a pricey item, and the manufacturer has no idea where a particular machine will be used, hence the filter to protect the moving parts. After about three months of use, I looked at my filter under a magnifier and saw no dust at all, so I rinsed it out, air dried it and re-installed it. This may seem like a sacrilege to some, but I didn't worry. However, the DME insists on sending me a stack of them every three months, so I guess I'll just replace them from now on every so often. I also have a drawer full of all other supplies, and I can't refuse them. I love that Uncle cares so much about my health. Smile
10-04-2015 04:18 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

(10-04-2015 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote:  My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter.
S9 and AirSense 10 uses the same air filters, ResMed makes two types of air filters:
1- Standard air fiters
2- Hypoallergenic air filters
I've used both filters, standard air filter always look clean, while hypoallergenic air filters get dirty much sooner
10-04-2015 05:08 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Where to get Inexpensive Supplies margy72 21 939 11-06-2016 06:59 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  VA and CPAP supplies ZZDave 14 4,451 08-06-2016 02:29 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Will DME Supplier provide different Mask as Replacement Supplies photosmike 8 582 06-09-2016 03:24 PM
Last Post: AndyB
  Replacement supplies from Medicare galenaforest 4 665 05-25-2016 11:34 AM
Last Post: galenaforest
  Replacing Resmed S8 autoset Ognom 8 669 05-05-2016 02:09 AM
Last Post: Ognom
  Cpap supplies shortyd 1 452 04-12-2016 08:06 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Anyone use Landauer Medstar (NY)for supplies?? vig1116 2 1,089 03-17-2016 02:20 PM
Last Post: vig1116