Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Replacing supplies
Replacing supplies
I have been using a Redmed S9 auto for two years with great success. Every month my equipment supplier sends me an email telling me what supplies my insurance will pay to have replaced. The list always includes filters, heated tube, regular tube, headgear and pillows. With the exception of the headgear that does wear out, I haven't replaced anything. My question is should I be replacing this other equipment?
I did replace the filter once, but truthfully, it looked no different than the new one. How dirty can it get? Unless you're using the machine in a rock quarry or a coal mine, it's filtering the same air as I'm breathing all day.
The tubes and pillows all seem fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacing supplies
Welcome to the forum,
It's totally up to you! There are reasons why insurance agrees to the replacement schedule.
The tubes, pillows do wear out. As far as the filters go, I'm a strong believer in replacing them once a month. Just because you can't see dust and fine particles in the air doesn't mean that they are not there. Besides doing possible damage to your machine with dirty filters, just think what it could do to your lungs.

Take advantage of your insurance replacement schedule, this way if something breaks or wears out, you have an extra on hand.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMHO the filter is more about protecting the machine.

I would order enough supplies to have spares. You don't want to be masking up only to find your hose has a leak...
Most PAPers have at least one of everything -- I even have a spare power brick.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ride1992,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's up to you as to how often you want to replace your supplies. If you haven't replaced any of your mask parts, such as cushions, in a long time, you might want to replace them, because they don't seal as well as they get older. You might want to get a new filter for your machine, too.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I have a spare hose, a spare water tank, spare mask parts, etc. Don't want to be without!

Of your original list though, I do change my mask cushions twice a month, and my filter monthly. I have dogs, and my filter is noticeably dirty in 30 days.
After 2 weeks, my mask cushions are noticeably less resilient, and my leak rate goes up, so I swap 'em out.

I swapped the hose at 3 months, and kept the old one as my spare. But I would not personally go without swapping my cushions and filter regularly.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both a foam filter and then a "disposable" white allergen, etc. fine filter on the input. Most insurance and Medicare allow replacement of the foam filter after 6 months and allow 2 white filters every month.
I live in New York City. The white filter is grey within a week, and almost black after 2 weeks. I try to replace the white filter every week, even though I have to buy the additional filters out of pocket. I also wash the foam filter every week (I have 2 going in rotation so I don't have to wait for it to dry), and because foam filter is black, you can't really tell what is going on with it - but based on the white filters - I replace with a new 2 in rotation every 3-4 months. Really should replace filters at a minimum at the manufacturer's recommended timings.
The hoses - I don't need every 3 months - just wash every week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Right now I'm ordering everything I can as I've met my deductible for the year and my insurance is covering it 100%.

I didn't think I needed to replace my pillows often, but last time I compared the old pillow and the new pillow and was shocked at how much stiffer the new one was, and how much less force was required to get it to seal. I was having some nose soreness issues but after switching pillows I've let up on how tight my mask has to be and they've gone away.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2015, 07:47 AM)Ride1992 Wrote: I have been using a Redmed S9 auto for two years with great success. Every month my equipment supplier sends me an email telling me what supplies my insurance will pay to have replaced. The list always includes filters, heated tube, regular tube, headgear and pillows. With the exception of the headgear that does wear out, I haven't replaced anything. My question is should I be replacing this other equipment?
I did replace the filter once, but truthfully, it looked no different than the new one. How dirty can it get? Unless you're using the machine in a rock quarry or a coal mine, it's filtering the same air as I'm breathing all day.
The tubes and pillows all seem fine.

My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote: My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.

I have to disagree.
I don't breath through an air filter so I feel like the regular OEM filter I use in the PAP is already providing cleaner air while I'm sleeping than I get while I'm awake. i change it regularly to keep the air flow from being clogged.

IMHO spending effort and money fussing over special filters is energy wasted.
Use that energy to keep your mask and hose clean and check your data.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 08:23 AM)so_unique1 Wrote: My suggestion to you and anyone else using a cpap machine is get one with the best type of filter. This is the most important thing about these machines unless you have the air quality in your home, and any other place you use this machine tested.

Sir: What kind of machine do you have?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 9 1,407 04-11-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: kalensk
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 168 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 215 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 323 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 967 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 426 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 408 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.