Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reported, derived and calculated OSCAR data
Reported, derived and calculated OSCAR data
I'm sure that this has been asked before, but searching for the answer has been difficult and I'm going to need a definitive response for my Dr who will (no doubt) be asking me on this Wednesday.

On the Oscar daily detailed report, specifically the data that is plotted: Is all that data collected and calculated by the device's software and just reported by OSCAR or does OSCAR software also do some calculations independent of the device.

As an example, I'm confident that Respironics provides continuous flowrate v. time data, but does Respironics calculate inspiration-time v. time or does the OSCAR software determine the inspiration time? Likewise, does Respironics calculate (or measure) tidal volume?

Thanks for clarifying.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reported, derived and calculated OSCAR data
That is a project that has been on our list for some time. A future version of OSCAR will clearly state the source of the data and indicate if OSCAR has modified it in any way and if so how, the how likely being in a Wiki. OSCAR's current data structure is not conducive to this so this is actually a ways out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize if i've mislead you with my question, I'm not asking how OSCAR might manipulate (for example Resmed Airsense,  data as obtained from an SD card, but rather what data is taken directly from the SD card. 
I'm told that there is a clock, a pressure sensor  and a flow (or flowrate) sensor on board the Resmed.  But we also "think" that Resmed's soft/firmware does some shape evaluation of the flowrate curve. Resmed appears to measure (or calculate) tidal volume. Those Resmed values are the responsibility of Resmed and not the OSCAR team

What I'm looking for is a list of at least some of the basic data that Resmed places on the SD card, prior to OSCAR ever having an opportunity to modify or manipulate.

(What I am trying to avoid is a dispute with my doctor over: 'this is what Resmed recorded on my card, versus this is what OSCAR calculated from the Resmed card. Until I learn otherwise, I'm operating on the assumption that OSCAR daily Plots  -  simply plots Resmed's data versus time, and OSCAR does not calculate the values on the Yaxis)

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you asking about ResMed or Respironics? Different machines and different manufacturers provide different information and, when data is not provided, OSCAR will calculate the data to display.

Here is a very old document that may help. It was written by the SleepyHead author, about the ResMed S9 CPAP machine.  It shows data that the S9 wrote to the SD card. I don't know if anything was removed with the AirSense 10.  Also, different AutoSense 10 models write different amounts of information, and this page does not differentiate that well.

The SAD data is written only when you have the (expensive) ResMed oximeter attachment, and not for data recorded by other oximeters.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
We will need the model number of your machine to give you a definitive answer. For example, the ResMed bilevel machines report more data than the Autoset. I'm sure the Respironics machines have similar variations.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2021, 03:53 PM)dataq1 Wrote: What I'm looking for is a list of at least some of the basic data that Resmed places on the SD card, prior to OSCAR ever having an opportunity to modify or manipulate.

The attachment shows exact copies of the key SD card data identities.

In most of my recent work I have derived breath by breath I, E and TV values in order to see those metrics and their artifacts in the raw.

As members TBMx, multicast and cathyf have noted, we and others would like to know more about how the effect of built-in mask leak/venting and other leaking is applied to the recorded flow rate and pressure. I don't recall, but may have missed, what has been written about that in Resmed related patents. 

Oops the second schedule title has a typo, should simply show "0.5 hz"
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks to Guy Scharf and 2Sleepbetta, as I am now much more confident in assuring my sleep Dr. that the flowrate-time traces (L/sec versus time)  are graphs of the actual Resmed digital data (rather than an evaluation or calculation by the OSCAR team). Likewise for pressure-time trace.

As to the other traces, those are also (albeit at a lower resolution) graphs of actual Resmed digital data, having been calculated or evaluated by Resmed.  

Nothing in the displayed in the graphs is the result of the OSCAR team's calculations. 

I just needed to be prepared with an informed answer when he says that any presentation by a group of unknown software programmers is unreliable !

Many Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Oops Re my comment about leaks above, I shoulda been aware of this.

A simple question typed in the URL slot--"How is leak reflected in Resmed flow rate?"--snagged this 2014 ApneaBoard explanation, by Roby Sue, of how leak is reflected in Resmed and Respironics devices. I don't know if the next generation of machines, Remed 10's, reflect unintentional and intentional leaks in the same way.

Given this thread's subject, the linked single-page thread is on topic.

Leak Rate Calculation | Apnea Board
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2021, 08:41 PM)dataq1 Wrote: Nothing in the displayed in the graphs is the result of the OSCAR team's calculations. 

This is not always true, as some are calculated if not recorded.

Here are the lists of recorded signals for an AutoSet and a VAuto:
Code:
phil@AmyDee:~/oldphil/ResMed_Data_Files$ cat AS10-37028-Autoset_PLD_labels.txt
Label      MaskPress.2s    
Label      Press.2s        
Label      EprPress.2s    
Label      Leak.2s        
Label      RespRate.2s    
Label      TidVol.2s      
Label      MinVent.2s      
Label      Snore.2s        
Label      FlowLim.2s      
Label      Crc16          
phil@AmyDee:~/oldphil/ResMed_Data_Files$ cat AC10-37051-VAuto_PLD_labels.txt
Label      >MaskPress.2s    <
Label      >Press.2s        <
Label      >EprPress.2s     <
Label      >Leak.2s         <
Label      >RespRate.2s     <
Label      >TidVol.2s       <
Label      >MinVent.2s      <
Label      >IERatio.2s      <
Label      >Snore.2s        <
Label      >FlowLim.2s      <
Label      >B5ITime.2s      <
Label      >B5ETime.2s      <
Label      >Ti.2s           <
Label      >Crc16           <
Any OSCAR graph not listed above for the given machine has been calculated.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2021, 11:47 PM)pholynyk Wrote: This is not always true, as some are calculated if not recorded.

Here are the lists of recorded signals for an AutoSet and a VAuto:
Code:
Any OSCAR graph not listed above for the given machine has been calculated.

I don't see the flow rate listed.

Do you mean that the flow rate in the Resmed BRP data file is calculated by the Autoset and VAuto because leak, intentional and unintentional, has been applied to the "pressure-flow" signal before the flow rate is logged in the SD card file?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 76 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 87 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 59 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 221 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 106 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  OSCAR data backup strategy matt2 2 97 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.