Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie - Clear Airway/ Flowlimitation
Newbie - Clear Airway/ Flowlimitation
Hi

I'm newly diagnosed and currently trialing CPAP Machines before buying my own one. I did download Sleepyhead after finding it mentioned on the boards and have since uploaded my data.

Last week I had a Fisher and Paykel APAP machine that had pressure 5-9 and my AHI was over the 5 still. Since yesterday I have a Resmed Airsense10 on trial and we changed the pressure to 5-12. So last night was my first night using the new pressure and the Resmed machine.

Now, curious as I am I couldn't help myself uploading last nights sleep data and now I'm a bit confused as the Resmed records, or shows more Data on the Sleepyhead than the F &P one.

What is new to me is the Clear Airway Stats. From what I could gather on this forum it also could be CA's? The night of my diagnose with all the hookup there where no CA's recorded and therefore I was not diagnosed with CA's only OSA?

With the F&P there was no such data shown on Sleepyhead but what I had was a stat called Flow Limitation and I wonder if they both are the same?

My AHI went from 5.42 on Tuesday with the F&P and lower pressure (max. 9) to 2.67 last night with the higher pressure (max. 12) and the Resmed. Oh also, what is Rera??

Thank you Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newbie - Clear Airway/ Flowlimitation
Hi SwissLady! - Welcome

CA stands for Clear Airway or also known as a Central Airway.  There is a difference between the two but it requires more input than a CPAP can provide.

CA's can be pressure induced and are very common when starting CPAP therapy.

RERA is an acronym for Respiratory Effort Related Arousal

To be better informed on your new found treatment I have listed links to help.
For these definitions and a lot more CPAP information, please visit the Apnea Board Wiki. Either click on the link here or at the top of the page.

Additionally, I have provided more information under Useful Links below.  

Good Luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SwissLady,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Those of us who have machines that detect the "type" of apneas get used to seeing a mix in our results. It's particularly important to understand that the machines do not always get it right as they use remote flow and pressure sensors in the air generator to detect and classify the apnea. Details aside, CA is also likely to show up at times of sleep disturbance and awakening. You don't mention what your AHI is or your CAI (central index), or whether they happen in isolated events, or as clusters. Those of us experienced in interpreting the data can usually identify "junk" vs things that should concern us. Don't get too caught up in the data details. It is not at all unusual to have some CA events when trying a new machine, or as you adapt to therapy. We use longer term data trends to optimize. If you wish to post the data, we can help make some sense of it for you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-10-2017, 06:04 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Hi SwissLady! - Welcome

CA stands for Clear Airway or also known as a Central Airway.  There is a difference between the two but it requires more input than a CPAP can provide.

CA's can be pressure induced and are very common when starting CPAP therapy.

RERA is an acronym for Respiratory Effort Related Arousal

To be better informed on your new found treatment I have listed links to help.
For these definitions and a lot more CPAP information, please visit the Apnea Board Wiki. Either click on the link here or at the top of the page.

Additionally, I have provided more information under Useful Links below.  

Good Luck!

more often CA = CENTRAL APNEA
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2017, 12:10 PM)xxyzx Wrote: more often CA = CENTRAL APNEA

Actually it is clear (airway) apnea because of the incertainty in using the CPAP sensors to detect the apnea type.  We know it is the machine not detecting flow (breathing) for 10 seconds or more, and the FOT (forced oscillation techniquei) or PP (pressure pulse) indicates the airway meets the criteria of being open rather than obstructed.  The measurements are pretty good, but not perfect and can be misleading, therefore a diagnostic term "central" is not used.  A lot of what is labeled CA is not apnea at all, but is from a disrupted sleep stage or physical movement. Before I call CA "central apnea", I'm looking for evidence that it fits patterns, or sleep study findings that are consistent with that conclusion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum and to a major source of help. Good luck with your treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
They do happen as single events all through the night. I could not see them on my F&P Machine Data and sleepyhead but now I'm using the Resmed since a few days so that machine shows me obviously more data and those Clear Airways come up...

They do make up majority of the AHI up.

Last night for example:

AHI 2.23

Clear Airway 1.41
OSA 0.35
Hypo 0.47
Rera 1.06

PS: How do I ad a JPEG Shot attachement?
Post Reply Post Reply
see the links below for how to organize and post screenshots of your data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Hah! I think I got it now Smile

Thank you Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 386 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,404 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 133 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 192 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 204 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 122 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.