Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reports of off gassing from AirSense 11
Reports of off gassing from AirSense 11
I had to return my AirSense 11 last week.  The machine worked well but the smell of the air output is not just unpleasant, it is a chemical smell reminiscent of overheated circuitry in amplifiers I deal with, like a transformer going bad.  The smell also is a bit like a very cheap multimeter I bought that had a horrible smelling plastic cover.  A mix of cheap plastic and overheated electronic circuitry is what I smell and I lost much of my ability to smell anything so it must be pretty strong.

The smell is most noticeable, and quite disturbing, taking the mask off after waking.  I've heard of one other CPAP user having getting the same smell from the outflow of air from the machine, not the machine itself.  

Out of five CPAP machines.  This AirSense 11 is the only one to ever produce any odor at all.  Even my recalled System One did not have a smell to the air output.

I can only guess that the new plastic of its structure is off gassing or gas from the air pump and its circuitry is getting in the output.  I don't think the silicone seals would do it.  I do not know if it is toxic, but I can not handle it so back to a new AirSense 10 I have gone.

I told my local DME about it.  DME said there are several customers who are happy with their AirSense 11s with no complaint of a chemical like smell from them. 

I am disappointed about one thing with this new AirSense 10.  It does not have the same tube connection as my old AirSense 10.  The old one accepted a tube that did a 90 degree turn that was good thing for my set up.  Also, the non heated tube I got with the unit is very stiff which is very disappointing.  I hope the maker gets on the ball and provides better tubing.  The tube could be a DME thing though.  My DME may have another source for non heated tubes and use cheap stiff ones.  I've had cheap garden hoses that are more supple than the one I got.

Please let me know here if any one else is experiencing an acrid, chemical like smell in their therapy air from a machine.  Maybe I got a defective unit as maybe did another CPAP user who gets the similar chemical smell.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
RE: Reports of off gassing from AirSense 11
ejbpesca;
     I have had an AS 11 Autoset for 2 months ..
No smells or problems ..  Output air smells just like room air ..
Doesn't seem to run hot .. 
     Maybe Yours had a malfunction ??  
     Hopefully Your DME will get it right and take care of it !!
     Good Luck 
       Steve
Just to be clear, you are using a resmed tube, correct?
Perhaps the tube is the source of the smell?
Sometimes the machine will ingest odor from the power adapter if located near the air intake. The airflow passes through a filter, tubing and the motor, which is just the spinning turbine, so is not actually exposed to electric components inside the machine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Yes, just looked, it is ResMed.  It is the thinnest, stiffest tube I've ever used.  The thin is of course okay, but being used to much more flexible tubes, I do not get used to how stiff it is.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
I guess it could have been.
My AC to DC power supply is on the floor a little over 3 feet from the machine.  Out of about 50 such adapters, I've never smelled this chemical smell from one.

If the circuitry is giving off any gasses, I find it plausible they could make it to the air intake of the machine.  The motor of the air pump could produce a smell.

The smell could be off gassing of the plastic housing, any plastic component, insulation, or sealants used to make the machine.  I do not think it is from the power supply.  The smell reminds me of a new tool/product made of plastic that looses that smell after a bit of time.  The AirSense 11 did not lose the smell for a week so I exchanged it for a new AirSense 10....no chemical smell.

The tube itself has no smell.  Two different masks were tested, not the masks.
I'm about to use my new AS11 Elite for the first time tonight (retiring an excellent and reliable AS10, same model).  I have never encountered odors from my machine, but I do smell my nose when I remove the N20 nasal mask.  It's not exactly appealing, to say the least.  I have to wash my face before I kiss the missus.  This may have nothing to do with what we're talking about, but might it be a factor...possibly?
(03-07-2023, 03:19 PM)mesenteria Wrote: I'm about to use my new AS11 Elite for the first time tonight (retiring an excellent and reliable AS10, same model).  I have never encountered odors from my machine, but I do smell my nose when I remove the N20 nasal mask.  It's not exactly appealing, to say the least.  I have to wash my face before I kiss the missus.  This may have nothing to do with what we're talking about, but might it be a factor...possibly?

After 15 years of CPAP and the AirSense 11 being my 5th machine, I have never experienced any smells from therapy until this AirSense 11.  The smell is a chemical smell I associate with some plastic devices and wire insulation when it gets warm.  The machine had a new hose someone said could be it, but I've used Resmed hoses for ten years without any smell from them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,183 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  [Treatment] Help deciphering OSCAR reports? HannibalBarca 6 636 11-22-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  AIRVIEW Daily reports Opus1 3 440 11-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Need help choosing between Airsense 10 C2C or regular Airsense 10/11 dabrat76 10 1,625 03-16-2023, 08:20 AM
Last Post: dabrat76
  Airsense 11: SmartStart is Off, but Airsense keeps turning on by itself kklein 4 3,482 03-09-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: kklein
  Dreamstation ASV VS Aircurve S10 ASV problems reports, with which reports are true?? racprops 0 431 02-19-2023, 06:36 PM
Last Post: racprops

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.