Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] CPAP Recommendations
CPAP Recommendations
Hey there, 

So a little background, I am a long time Resmed user coming from the S8 to the S9 which is what I am using now, and my doctor said since my machine is 5 years old I should get it replaced. Insurance approved a new machine and my doctor said I could have my choice in what machine I want. 

I was looking between the Philips Dreamstation CPAP Auto and the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. My concerns are that one of the units may be updated soon and I will be with an "outdated" unit for another 5 years, reliability and build, and I am just looking for your opinions on the units. When I got my S9 it wasn't soon after that the Airsense 10 was released and sorta felt cheated, but that aside I had the heater unit on the humidifier fail twice. I know there is no way to know when a company is going to release a new product, but based on past release schedules and pure speculation would you wait for a new machine or just get what is out there now? 

So who builds a better unit? Should I wait for a new unit or just go with what is out there now? Is one typically more reliable than the other? 

Thanks for your input!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Recommendations
Get the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. It is what you are already accustomed to using, and IMO is more advanced than the current Dreamstation anyway. When these machines are updated, the changes are subtle, and mainly in the form factor or appearance. There have been some advances in the humidity controls and heated hoses, but the pressure algorithms have not really changed a lot since your S8, or in the case of Philips Respironics, since the M-series in the late 90s. The Airsense 10 has more channels of data now than your S9 as it records RERA, and if you get the For Her model, there is a third auto algorithm that increases pressure a bit faster initially for flow limitation, but results in a lower overall pressure increase for FL. We can chase the differences down the rabbit hole, but I assume you use and like EPR, and you won't get anything close with Philips Respironics Flex.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 for the resmed autoset
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
If you've been using EPR with your S9, you definitely want the AirSense 10 AutoSet. The feel of flex is entirely different; the EPR is like a low-range bi-level. Using EPR makes a major difference in my AHI and comfort.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Twosod,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Since you are already used to the Resmed, I would get the AirScense10 AutoSet.
Hang in there for more responses to your post, good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with the above.  One Caution.  ResMed does make machines that are "Bricks" so be careful of which machine you get.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, thanks for all the responses! 

I know Sleeprider already answered this, but do the rest of you think it is worth going from the S9 to the 10 now? Or since my 9 is still working at the moment should I wait until there is new unit? 

I know going with the 10 most of the bugs are probably worked out by now with software and hardware revisions but then again "latest and greatest!" hahaha. 

Again thanks for all of your opinions!
Post Reply Post Reply
Your S9 will be a great backup should anything happen to your new unit.
To me the only question is Autoset or Autoset for her, and with the heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
some of us with respironics would like to have tried an autoset as well. me for instance.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,214 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 624 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 317 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Recommendations for national suppliers? HenryBowman 2 388 01-04-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.