Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Reras and Dreamstation v Airsense10
RE: Reras and Dreamstation v Airsense10
(12-10-2016, 06:32 PM)marcus10 Wrote: ... If a RERA is a flow limitation, then both machines would be treating it.

RERA is a type of arousal. I think the machine's setup manual (Clinician Guide) defines RERA as follows, from memory: a 10 second or longer period of increasing Flow Limitation followed by the recovery (deeper-than-usual) breathing which is characteristic of an arousal to a more shallow state of sleep.

Quote:It's pretty clear in SH correlating the machine's response to the flow limitation occurring. The Resmed does this (and fairly quickly) but the PR site states that they do this specifically in relation to RERAs.

Both the ResMed algorithm and the PR algorithm respond to FL, but RedMed's responds more aggressively.

PR is saying that, in addition to responding to FL, when recovery breaths are seen which look like a RERA has occurred this event results in an additional amount of pressure increase beyond what would have happened if the FL had ended without the recovery breathing having occurred.

As far as we know, the ResMed algorithm does not specifically respond to RERA events even in the newer machines which do report RERA events. It is unclear whether the aggressiveness of the ResMed algorithm fully (or more than fully?) makes up for this apparent lack.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for that additional info, that has really cleared things up for me on the differing algorithms.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-10-2016, 02:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: When the Resmed Airsense was first released, it did not have RERA detection. Machines produced in the first 6-9 months do not have that capability. The For Her model was the first to have RERA detection, it was later brought to the regular Autoset. Respironics had the detection since the PRS1 60 series across the CPAP and BiPAP lines. Resmed still has not put the capability in to Aircurve.

I thought this was fixed with a software upgrade? I assume not since you are usually pretty up-to-date. What was that software upgrade about then?

The good news though is that if your AHI is being treated, your RDI is well treated. I had an AHI of 4 and an RDI of 32 (nearly all of which show up during near REM and REM only). My AHI is nearly always under 1 unless I have leaks and as mentioned, rarely an RERA. But it is annoying if you were expecting such reporting and it isn't there.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed software update in March, 2015 resolved a humidity issue. http://www.rmdassets.com/airsolutions/ai...%20V15.pdf

Early Airsense 10 machines between September 2014 and about September 2015 did not detect RERA except the for Her model. The history of the machine is pretty well documented in the 22 page All you wanted to know about the Airsense 10 http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...irsense-10
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know that this is an old post, but I needed to reply anyway.
  1. The Airsense 10 does in fact estimate RERA's, they just don't provide it in the "myAir" site you get to see.  So please download Sleepyhead software and get an SD card so you can actually see the useful info the CPAP has.
  2. The Airsense 10 may Estimate RERAs, but that does not mean they are accurate.  I don't know how they could be.  I did a test with it one night using an oximeter and discovered most of what Airsense thought was a RERA was actually hypopnea.
  3. Like yourself, I have low AHI (8) and Higher RERA (15).  I adjusted my machine all the way down to a pressure of 5, the AHI dropped to 4 and I felt great in the morning.  I guess that is our only way to gauge.
fitmart
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RERAs, RDI vs AHI in Oscar, flow limitations CPAPveteran 5 785 02-03-2024, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SomniumSusurrator
Question [Diagnosis] Why are my RDI/RERAs so High? rc102177 2 324 01-14-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Moving From RM S9 to Airsense10 -- Great Discomfort hypnos 3 409 11-10-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Fixing AirSense10 Air Noise BNB1023 6 2,265 11-01-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: RNeil
  Increased RERAs Uzupan 0 363 08-22-2023, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Is there any reason to buy the AirSense 11 when the AirSense10 is still available (an snorin2 4 678 07-27-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Cpapian
  RERAs do you trust your machine ? dwd1249 10 2,955 06-25-2023, 12:43 PM
Last Post: emmylouwho

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.