Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Res Med S9 Autoset Problems
I am having a difficult time with my ResMed S9 Autoset. I use a H5i Humidifier that attaches to it and the Philips Wisp Nasal Mask. When I start them machine everything works fine until I go to the bathroom. At approximately 3:00 a.m. last night I got up and went to the bathroom. The machine automatically shut off. When I put the mask back on the machine started again. An hour later I woke up with a dry mouth. I was fine until I went to the bathroom. Is there something on the machine I should be doing to put the humidifier back on? What am I doing wrong? I just had the machine replaced because the humidifier was not working correctly. I purchased the climate line hose because I was tired of getting the rainout. I woke up this morning with rainout. I have my temp set at 76 degrees. I love using the machine because I am actually getting some sleep after years of no sleep, however this is frustrating? I don't know what to do to rectify the situation. Thank you for any suggestions. I would love a solid night sleep.
11-24-2013 02:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Res Med S9 Autoset Problems
Hi

Do you breath through your mouth? If so, you may try a chin strap.

If not or you aren't sure, you can turn the auto start off and see if that helps. I don't know if the auto start has any affect on the humidifier or not.

NOTE: I had turned my humidifier down to 74 and it was using a lot of water and empty when I woke up for the day. I changed it back to 80 and the same thing. Not sure if this is how it works and will look around later to see if there is any info on this.

Stand by for more responses with more info for you.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 04:44 PM by me50.)
11-24-2013 03:01 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Where was the moisture? In the climateline hose or in the mask hose? The climateline hose will keep the moisture from pooling in that hose but will do very little from it forming in the mask and the mask's hose.

Dry mouth could be from breathing with your mouth open which could also contribute to the moisture in the mask and mask's hose.

If you know the time that you got up and the time you woke up "an hour later with dry mouth", look at the data. If you had a huge leak event at that time, that's what happened.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-24-2013 04:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F 10
Humidifier: H I heated tubing resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Masks: Simplus, Air, Quattro fx, Nano, Eson, Swift fx and Activ

(11-24-2013 02:55 PM)penbate Wrote:  I am having a difficult time with my ResMed S9 Autoset. I use a H5i Humidifier that attaches to it and the Philips Wisp Nasal Mask. When I start them machine everything works fine until I go to the bathroom. At approximately 3:00 a.m. last night I got up and went to the bathroom. The machine automatically shut off. When I put the mask back on the machine started again. An hour later I woke up with a dry mouth. I was fine until I went to the bathroom. Is there something on the machine I should be doing to put the humidifier back on? What am I doing wrong? I just had the machine replaced because the humidifier was not working correctly. I purchased the climate line hose because I was tired of getting the rainout. I woke up this morning with rainout. I have my temp set at 76 degrees. I love using the machine because I am actually getting some sleep after years of no sleep, however this is frustrating? I don't know what to do to rectify the situation. Thank you for any suggestions. I would love a solid night sleep.

Did you hear the hose click when you put it on your machine? Last night I slept with the heat in the hose off because I didn't turn it until it clicked in the back of the machine. I remove the hose and hang it to dry daily.
11-24-2013 04:12 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

You can also tell by looking at the icon. It changes from a simple water droplet to one that is both water drop and temp gauge.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-24-2013 04:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
penbate Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Make & Model: Philips Wisp Nasal Mask
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(11-24-2013 02:55 PM)penbate Wrote:  I am having a difficult time with my ResMed S9 Autoset. I use a H5i Humidifier that attaches to it and the Philips Wisp Nasal Mask. When I start them machine everything works fine until I go to the bathroom. At approximately 3:00 a.m. last night I got up and went to the bathroom. The machine automatically shut off. When I put the mask back on the machine started again. An hour later I woke up with a dry mouth. I was fine until I went to the bathroom. Is there something on the machine I should be doing to put the humidifier back on? What am I doing wrong? I just had the machine replaced because the humidifier was not working correctly. I purchased the climate line hose because I was tired of getting the rainout. I woke up this morning with rainout. I have my temp set at 76 degrees. I love using the machine because I am actually getting some sleep after years of no sleep, however this is frustrating? I don't know what to do to rectify the situation. Thank you for any suggestions. I would love a solid night sleep.

I use a chin strap and was wearing it last night. I heard the hose click. Think that answers the questions.
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 04:37 PM by penbate.)
11-24-2013 04:34 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi penbate,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't use the auto-start or auto-off features. I have my machine set so that I have to push the button to start it when I go to bed and when I get up to go the restroom, I push it to turn it off.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck.

trish6hundred
11-24-2013 04:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Lukie Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit F 10
Humidifier: H I heated tubing resmed
CPAP Pressure: 6-16

Other Comments: Masks: Simplus, Air, Quattro fx, Nano, Eson, Swift fx and Activ

(11-24-2013 04:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  You can also tell by looking at the icon. It changes from a simple water droplet to one that is both water drop and temp gauge.

Good point! I just love this machine but it lacks one feature.

It needs a lullaby setting.Dielaughing
11-24-2013 04:37 PM
Tez62 Offline

Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Welcome penbate, I do the same as Trish and never seem to have a problem maybe try it for a night or two and see how you go, do you know how to change the settings?
11-24-2013 05:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jgolim Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed S9
Mask Make & Model: Swift LT
CPAP Pressure: 4.0 -10

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
I am having more or less the same problems with a dry mouth as described here. I addressed this this earlier elsewhere on this forum.

Point being is that I wake up two to three times each night with an extemely dried out mouth. I replaced my H5i, but that made no difference.

What I did noticed is that the green power led (on-off switch) on the S9 is off during the night. Does anyone know if this is how it's supposed to be?

Gerard
01-10-2014 09:27 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Newbie with Smart Card Reader Problems MissSnuffleupagus 3 143 12-01-2016 09:36 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Occasional problems with exhale relief function SLongridge 1 263 10-24-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Dry Mouth Problems - How to Fix? mjt57 11 1,276 10-13-2016 11:58 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  [Health] CPAP induced heart problems Rcgop 9 555 10-12-2016 07:08 PM
Last Post: Rcgop
  [CPAP] Cpap air problems Okhusker 4 365 08-31-2016 11:12 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
Sad problems kiwidreamNz 12 703 08-28-2016 07:20 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  early morning leakage problems jxyzobrien 1 317 08-17-2016 07:11 AM
Last Post: icyura10