Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Res Med S9 Escape
RE: Res Med S9 Escape
(01-31-2014, 11:42 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: Rest assured my doc is really good, very caring, he's getting in touch with my insurance to get them to pick up the tab fully on the machine. I don't like having sleep studies done, all the wires blood pressure cuff and rectal probe are very uncomfortable, but enduring all this probably saved my life, so a little embarrassment every two years is tolerable.

Data capable machines watch your sleep each night and can provide important data while a sleep study only can provide data from that night's sleep and gives them a basis to start from. If your doc is looking for documentation that your apnea has gone away, that rarely happens, not that it can't happen. A data capable machine will provide data showing if the pressure settings, etc. along with your account of how you are sleeping and how you feel each day is so much more important than a one night study
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 11:42 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: Rest assured my doc is really good, very caring, he's getting in touch with my insurance to get them to pick up the tab fully on the machine. I don't like having sleep studies done, all the wires blood pressure cuff and rectal probe are very uncomfortable, but enduring all this probably saved my life, so a little embarrassment every two years is tolerable.

Rectal probe?..Thinking-about

You sure this is a "real" sleep study? Dielaughing

Seriously though, Rectal probe? Man, the things I am learning on this board everyday. Sleep study experiences can vary in equipment....never heard of that before.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 01:56 PM)me50 Wrote: Data capable machines watch your sleep each night and can provide important data while a sleep study only can provide data from that night's sleep and gives them a basis to start from. If your doc is looking for documentation that your apnea has gone away, that rarely happens, not that it can't happen. A data capable machine will provide data showing if the pressure settings, etc. along with your account of how you are sleeping and how you feel each day is so much more important than a one night study

I agree, I would of probably quit by now if I didn't have the data in sleepyhead to look at daily, but if your doctor won't even look at the data, what can you do? In my case I would have to drive hours and have MUCH longer wait times if I were to change sleep doctors Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
yeah snuffysleeper its the running joke in my family, they monitor core temperature as part of the sleep study.....coincidentally, my son who is 17 years old is scheduled for his first sleep study next thursday...at 17 he rivals me with snoring, i just hate the fact he's having to deal with it much earlier in life than I did, but my wife and I both have witnessed him struggling to breath by simply laying on the couch for a nap. Needless to say he is not to enthused about getting the study but after we video taped him because he did not believe us...he didn't argue knowing how serious my situation was.

I did get a call from the doctors office earlier today, they are going to switch out the escape for an elite cpap machine and the insurance agreed to pay 80%....dont know what he told the insurance company but i'm thankful.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 03:38 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: yeah snuffysleeper its the running joke in my family, they monitor core temperature as part of the sleep study.....coincidentally, my son who is 17 years old is scheduled for his first sleep study next thursday...at 17 he rivals me with snoring, i just hate the fact he's having to deal with it much earlier in life than I did, but my wife and I both have witnessed him struggling to breath by simply laying on the couch for a nap. Needless to say he is not to enthused about getting the study but after we video taped him because he did not believe us...he didn't argue knowing how serious my situation was.

I did get a call from the doctors office earlier today, they are going to switch out the escape for an elite cpap machine and the insurance agreed to pay 80%....dont know what he told the insurance company but i'm thankful.

awesome! can't get much better than that!
Post Reply Post Reply
"Regular" CPAP machines all have the same insurance code. The Escape, the Escape Auto, the Elite and the Autoset, all have the same code which means the insurance companies pay the same amount for all of them. The bilevel and the ASVs have different codes. The suppliers like to sell the Escape to the end user because they make more profit.

Once you know your 20%, go to Supplier #2 and check their open box and gently used machines. You may be able to get one of those for less. Sad but true.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks paulao2
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-30-2014, 09:22 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: yeah according to my doctor i will have a sleep study every two years for the rest of my life due to my apnea being as high as it was.

Your apnea does not appear to be all that high, since your pressure setting is only 12 cm. What was your AHI during your latest sleep study?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pollcat is was 103
Post Reply Post Reply
Well my son had his sleep study done and found out he has mixed apnea, so the doc is deciding if he will be treated with CPAP or BIPAP, we go back tomorrow for his office consultation and it will be decided at that point. I dont have all the details yet but Carter did say they woke him up and masked him during the night. Great......two hose heads in our house.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,348 02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.