Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Res Med S9 Escape
RE: Res Med S9 Escape
My son had his first night on bipap last night and listen to this. He went to bed at 10:00 like he normally does, i went in and helped him get situated with his new equipment which i figured we were in for a long haul with him getting used to it. We got his mask on and secured, he just looked at me like seriously dad ill never go to sleep with this mask on

Heres what happened through the night.
12:00- wife gets up to check on him...sleeping peacefully no snoring
2:00- i go in to check on him.....same
4:00- wife checks.....same
8:00- we're both up....he's still sleeping peacefully
He finally was up at 11:00am which is unheard of for him.

My son walks downstairs with the biggest smile on his face. When asked why he's smiling he replied that he has never felt this good. I'm so thankful he had a good first night, I just pray it goes this easily from here on out. I think we're gonna have to adjust his face mask, when he came downstairs he had a couple of deep impressions on his face but no big deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 06:07 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: My son walks downstairs with the biggest smile on his face. When asked why he's smiling he replied that he has never felt this good.
Fantastic ... good news indeed, every body is smiling

Post Reply Post Reply
It was an answered prayer zonk, but he's kinda down because he asked me tonight how long he has to use it. I've told him the doctors told him it's for the rest of your life. I told him he could have been diagnosed with something way more terrible. I told him I came to grips with my CPAP and the quality of life it's brought me, I guess he will in time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-15-2014, 09:25 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: It was an answered prayer zonk, but he's kinda down because he asked me tonight how long he has to use it. I've told him the doctors told him it's for the rest of your life. I told him he could have been diagnosed with something way more terrible. I told him I came to grips with my CPAP and the quality of life it's brought me, I guess he will in time.

and since it was caught early, he hopefully won't have the heart issues, etc. that some have to overcome.

What machine did he get? What mask is he using? What age is he? Glad he is willing to get treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's great to hear the first night went so well. Don't get discouraged if it gets a little rougher for a while...it did for me. My body was so confused but energized by a great night's sleep that it made it hard to get to sleep at a decent hour the next night and then for a while it was hard to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours...it was like that was all I needed. It all straightened out after a few months though and who knows, he might not have to go through it. I think young people are more resilient and their bodies can probably adjust to things more quickly.

I wouldn't want to encourage you to give him any false hope, but for someone his age CPAP might not be a lifelong necessity. Who knows, someone might come up with a new surgery, implant, device or therapy in the next decade or two that works as good as CPAP and if they don't, CPAP devices and interfaces are likely to get better and better or at least less cumbersome and intrusive. I have embraced CPAP and the way it is right now, but I really believe that advances will be made.
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine he has is a ResMed S9 VPAP/BIPAP ST with Heated Humidifier
He has a Hans Rudolph Full Face mask like mine
he is 17 years old
IPAP: 12
EPAP: 5
Rate: 14

The doctor said these are setting they used in the sleep study, and may have to adjust. We have to take the data card to him in one month and he will determine from there whether he will change the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
I really did not have to convince Carter he needed to have the treatment. The doctor told us during the meeting that Carter's blood pressure was perfectly normal at the start of the study, but at hour two of the study when they decided to put him on PAP, his blood pressure had been elevating to the point it was 230/105 which was one of the other reasons they decided to mask him. By the end of the night his pressure had come back down to 122/90. If it had not been for him taking a nap on the couch a few weeks ago where my wife and I noticed he stopped breathing, who knows I could have been burying my son and never would have known why.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, Carter has been going strong for over a month now with his BIPAP therapy. The only hiccup we have had is he forgot to take the machine with him on a wrestling trip. When he got home after being gone over the weekend he said he felt like complete crap, and could not believe the "little magic box" (which is what he calls his BIPAP machine) made that much of a difference in his life. He has perked up so much in the last few weeks its crazy. After he told one of his friends about it a little over a week after he had been on therapy, his friend ended up on CPAP because him and his family could out why he was a zombie all the time. Carter and him laugh because they both had the same AHI number from their sleep studies......kids...lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 01:16 PM)brianwood619 Wrote: Well, Carter has been going strong for over a month now with his BIPAP therapy. The only hiccup we have had is he forgot to take the machine with him on a wrestling trip. When he got home after being gone over the weekend he said he felt like complete crap, and could not believe the "little magic box" (which is what he calls his BIPAP machine) made that much of a difference in his life. He has perked up so much in the last few weeks its crazy. After he told one of his friends about it a little over a week after he had been on therapy, his friend ended up on CPAP because him and his family could out why he was a zombie all the time. Carter and him laugh because they both had the same AHI number from their sleep studies......kids...lol

This is a great report. It's cool that a kid can see the need for and appreciate the therapy. I understand him "forgetting" to take the machine on the wrestling trip, but experiencing life without it might encourage him to "remember" in the future. Good job Carter!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2014, 11:42 AM)brianwood619 Wrote: Rest assured my doc is really good, very caring, he's getting in touch with my insurance to get them to pick up the tab fully on the machine. I don't like having sleep studies done, all the wires blood pressure cuff and rectal probe are very uncomfortable, but enduring all this probably saved my life, so a little embarrassment every two years is tolerable.

Problem is when something went wrong such as air leak or the machine wake you up for some reason at night, without the data, you cannot pinch point and correct the problem, another sleep study may be years away and you can only suffer till then......

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 6 13,368 02-04-2015, 03:47 AM
Last Post: truckerdad57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.