Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Res Med S9 just stopped working!`
Res Med S9 just stopped working!`
In the middle of the night. I checked the electricity but it was fine. 
I have a travel unit and was able to finish the night with it but my insurance doesn't cover a machine. I had to pay for this and I'm sure I'll have to pay for a replacement. I am not keen on this model if the life is so short. 
I've contacted my doctor and I'm waiting to find out from him if there's a local place to get it checked but I fear I'll need a new machine. 
(This is my 2nd night home since the NorCal fires evacuated me. I don't want to be a sad sack but I'm just not up for this!!!)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Res Med S9 just stopped working!`
S9 machines are pretty much a workhorse, but even if 1% fail before 5 years, it's 100% annoyance to the person this happens to. I assume you've had your machine more than 2 years (since Resmed has a 2 year warranty)? Give us some details! Also, for a replacement since you pay out of pocket, what are your choices? For instance, it must come from a DME, must be new? Or are you ok with Craigslist and used (possibly zero hour). There are also online (and local DMEs) where you can get out of box or low hour for much less than new. What works for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it can be fixed.
It just stopped. I would guess it's electrical but there's no indication of wear and I've tested it on outlets.
There are no lights.
I'm pretty open. I'm very much a cpap success story. I had immediate positive results and it took about 2 months to really be comfortable with the machine but I sleep like a rock with the machine.
Should I keep an open mind about a used machine? I think can do this!
How do I get it calibrated once I get it?
thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sjssf,
Do research before you buy.  
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Supplier #2 sells good used machines (low hour) and also new open boxed units for a decent price.  (You normally need a prescription.)
Once you receive a machine, there is nothing to calibrate.  We can help you with settings.  At the top of the page, you can order a Clinicians manual for whatever machine you decide to buy.

Also, some here have purchased from Amazon.  You would have to check with the seller on Warranty.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is great. Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
No expertise here, but when electronics like this fail in my experience it is generally a problem with the power supply. The power supply for the S9 is external and I noticed a generic can be had on Amazon (with Prime delivery) for $19.

Or is there a CPAP store or DME that has a power supply you could try in your area to see if it is the issue?

I'd try to confirm if the power supply has gone bad (as that seems like the likeliest culprit), and then you'd be out $20-60 dollars rather than needing a new machine.

Just a thought.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Ordered it now and it will be here by Monday, which which is probably faster than the doctor getting back to me with a prescription! 

Thanks. It's worth gambling 20 bucks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2017, 02:09 PM)sjssf Wrote: like
Ordered it now and it will be here by Monday, which which is probably faster than the doctor getting back to me with a prescription! 

Thanks. It's worth gambling 20 bucks.

I hope it pans out. To me, this seems like a gamble worth taking. 

Let us know.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope it works out also.
But it is still worth getting a copy of your prescription. You never know when you need it. Also, if able try to obtain a copy of your sleep study.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news! No, GREAT. 
The generic power plug from Amazon did it! 
I don't want to play my sob story but it's been a horrible, stressful few weeks, two of which were spent as an evacuee. Having my cpap machine fail me was a real slap in the face. I'm so glad it's this small, fixable problem and I'm so glad I have all of you to whine and vent to! Thanks so much, SpyCar in particular.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 94 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 378 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
Question SD Formatting and OSCAR not working smallhandsfeeding 2 199 02-02-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: smallhandsfeeding
  [Equipment] 12 months of therapy. Tried several masks/nothing working Tiredkiwi 5 492 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] new to this - is it working? human 7 572 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Last Post: human
  Dreamstation 1 APAP Function Not Working? gary w 4 529 10-12-2023, 12:37 PM
Last Post: gary w

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.