Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed 10 - SandBlasting Chest
ResMed 10 - SandBlasting Chest
About a year into my ResMed Air Sense 10 and posted successes here with the exception of weight gain which seemed to happen around same time as starting.

Over the past month, been having "episodes" where I wake from an urgent dream where I feel I swallowed something toxic. Shakes, disoriented, arm numb for about 2-5 minutes.  This was infrequent until the last 3 nights, every night about 1 hour after falling asleep. Things I have noticed:

1. My pressure prescription was to be 5-9 - My auto max is set to 16 and think it was running near that when these episodes happen.  I never made any adjustments to this unit since receiving. The pressure coming out could dry my hair or sandblast my deck.
2. I do not hear any leaks. Nothing of significance reported and events are under 1 per hour according to MyResMed reporting.
3. Went to GP as chest feels like it was sandblasted. ECG was clear. He agrees likely related to unit pressure. 

What is going on?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed 10 - SandBlasting Chest
"The pressure coming out could dry my hair or sandblast my deck" the air flow when the mask is off your face is always at full blast, the CPAP is trying to raise the pressure in the open air-will never happen.

Would strongly recommend using sleephead software so you can upload the plots and we can look at them to get an idea of what is going on.

Without much of a way to know for sure, it seems like if your pressure is at max the CPAP is trying to overcome a breathing event and not being able to do it. we need to see the plots.

"wake from an urgent dream where I feel I swallowed something toxic. Shakes, disoriented, arm numb for about 2-5 minutes." this could just be your minds way of waking you up because you have stopped breathing. we need the plots
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree that #Sleepyhead could confirm the conditions and events that are present when you have a sleep disruption like this. It would be easy to limit maximum pressure if that is a contributor, but we're guessing here, and there is no need to do that.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
ottcpap,
First, download #SleepyHead software, then follow the tutorials in my signature line.
This will show you how to organize your charts and data and post a screenshot here.

As stated above, we would only be guessing what is going on.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Best on what I read quickly, hoping this helps. Thank you for the quick responses. 

Please note, I reduced the max pressure from 16 to 9 after the incident last night as I still feel pressure was way too strong.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
More complete screenshot:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep good screen shots. Looks like your machine is set to 9cm max and not 15 automax (not really sure what that is anyway). It looks like for over an hour you are pegged at the max 9cm level which indicates that you need a higher setting.

You already have the attention of some very senior members, so I will let them take it from here.

Welcome to the forum
Post Reply Post Reply
You have a lot of disturbances in your sleep.  I also see your suffer from Reras.  These are arousals and disturb sleep and often times your not aware of it.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ance_index

Along with some flow limitation, you may benefit from a little higher minimum pressure.

I would start to raise the minimum pressure slowly by .5 each day until you see an improvement in Reras and Flow limitation.  Your minimum pressure of 5 may be what's making you uncomfortable.  That can make you feel air starved.

I really can't explain the dreams episodes you are having, but you clearly are not comfortable.

You also state that your pressure is set to max 16, I don't see that in the settings.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I updated to indicate I reduced max pressure from 16 to 9 as I felt that I was being blown up like a balloon. I only set this last night after the latest episode. While I have had this previously, this is now 3 nights in a row roughly 1 hour after falling asleep. The dreams feel more related to the fact I am either choking or having swallowing issues. One thing I didn't mention...I seem to be coughing up some fluid/flem. Had a steroid shot about 5 days ago for allergies that were killing me during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Allergies and coughing can obviously cause sleep disruptions. But if you were getting enough air flow to begin with, I believe you would be more comfortable.
You need to move your minimum pressure upwards, closer to 8 or 9cm. See my post above.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] Back/Chest pain, need advice anthonyfg 3 452 09-08-2023, 06:24 PM
Last Post: anthonyfg
  Chest Pains. Set pressure? Dolla Bill 13 1,068 08-28-2023, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Dolla Bill
  ongoing chest pain msherman1000 3 513 08-23-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chest strap heart rate monitor? YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 585 07-23-2023, 07:08 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
Sad [Pressure] Aerophagia and chest soreness favosys 6 795 05-21-2023, 05:36 PM
Last Post: favosys
  New mask but chest still tight and flow limitations Summer 5 720 09-04-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Summer
  chest pain after 5 years of cpap Twilight01 8 887 08-30-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.