Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed 10 with Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask
ResMed 10 with Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I have been using a ResMed 10 CPAP machine for over a year now. Initially I used the ResMed P-10 nasal pillows but found that they were hurting my nostrils. Once month ago, I switched to the Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask and although, it may be somewhat louder than the ResMed P-10, I get a great seal every night and enjoy better sleep.  Since using the Respironics DreamWear Nasal Mask, I have noticed that I'm not using as much distilled water per night in my ResMed humidifier. Previously, I would fill up the humidifier and use all but a minimal amount of distilled water. I'm still sleeping the same amount of hours. Now when I wake up in the morning, it looks like I may have used a quarter of the distilled water in the humidifier. Do I need to make an adjustment to the equipment to compensate for the design of the Respironics DreamWear Nasal Mask or is the ResMed, humidifier section of the equipment made specifically for use with ResMed brand nasal pillows and masks and compromised with any other brand. I'm curious to know if this is happening to anyone on this forum who has switched from ResMed's P-10 nasal pillows to Respironics DreamWear Nasal Mask. 

Note:  I did change my setting last night from Nasal Pillows to Nasal Mask and also, changed the settings on the humidifier to auto from the previous settings. I didn't notice any difference. Woke up this morning with an almost full tank of distilled water in the humidifier and slept 8 hours last night. 

Thanks for you help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed 10 with Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask
Hi Zhash - Welcome

Your humidifier water usage is relative to the humidity in your sleeping area. As the humidity raises during the spring and summer, the need for your CPAP to supply additional moisture diminishes. During the winter when the air is drier, you need more support. I've found that above a certain humidity level I don't require the use of the humidifier.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an A10 and use both of the masks you identify. I get a better seal with the Dreamwear and sleep well with both of them. You now have the right settings - Auto for the climate-line tube and nasal mask for the Dreamwear. Crimson Nape nailed the answer - if your room is dry more humidity will be required and vice versa. Your room's humidity will be effected by where you live and whether and when you run heat or A/C or nothing at all. For instance I have no heat or A/C on at night and the humidity in my room is 50%. T In the winter, with the heat on, room humidity is about 37%. The tub drains more water in the winter. Hope that helps.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I live in Connecticut and have the A/C on now. I breathe much better with the A/C going. I also have a ceiling fan in my bedroom that is always on. It's interesting that last summer with the A/C and fan going, I was using a full tank of water in my humidifier while on the P-10 nasal pillows. It just seems like such a contrast from last year.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see that last summer you were not using the auto setting - that could easily account for the difference you notice., If you want to check this further start measuring the humidity in your room. There are many temperature and humidity devices that can be obtained relatively cheaply at your local hardware store or on-line.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have noticed that my various masks use various amounts of water. And I'm not in a humid climate whatsoever. So... I don't know what's up with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for your replies. I began using the Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask three weeks ago. I didn't have the Auto Climate on at that time and it was on the nasal pillow setting when I began using it. I also didn't have the A/C on when I initially hooked it up. Actually, I had the heat on in the house when I began using it.  Last night was the first time I switched the CPAP to the Auto Climate setting and changed the nasal pillow setting to nasal mask. Prior to last night's setting, I had it set to manual (what the respiratory therapist initially set it up for me). It was also set on nasal pillows. Both ways, with the heat on and the A/C on, it still is not pulling water from the humidifier like the P10 nasal pillows did. I called ResMed and they didn't know because it wasn't their nasal mask and were not interested in troubleshooting it for me. On Tuesday, I'm thinking of calling Respironics to see if their technical support knows why this might be happening. I have the humidifier set to 4. That's what the respiratory therapist suggested when she initially set me up with the CPAP and P-10 nasal pillows. Maybe I need to increase the humidification based on the design of the Dreamwear Nasal Mask. Honestly, the humidity in my home is consistent. I have a brand new energy efficient Carrier furnace and A/C system with a whole house humidifier that's always on. I very rarely open windows in the spring because I have allergies and the pollen bothers me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Zhash,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidity is a comfort feature. Do whatever makes you comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I really need the humidification. I found that with the humidification, I no longer get sinus infections.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 351 44 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.