Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AS 10 vs. Respironics Dream Station
Question 
ResMed AS 10 vs. Respironics Dream Station
Hello.  Have been using ResMed S9 machine for over ten years.  Doing well with AHI <0.3.  My present S9 is dying, and this model is no longer made.  My sleep doc enjoys the Respironics Dream Station, and has a preference for it over the ResMed AirSense 10... something to do with the humidifier (which I don't use).  Five years ago the AS 10 had some connection issue in or around the humidifier, and I was told by the DME that the guts of the AS10 are identical to the S9....... so I purchased the S9.

Now I'm trying to decide between a new AS10 and the Respironics.  

Anyone here have any info which will help make this decision?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AS 10 vs. Respironics Dream Station
The AutoSet is sooo much more capable.

ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?
1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. ResMed Responds to Flow Limits
   PR responds to Snores
3. Lower average pressure (PR require a higher pressure to ward off obstructive events)
4. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
5. Flex is not the same as EPR
6. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
7. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2, or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
8. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
9. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
10. In general ResMed provides better therapy.
I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seconded.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exclaimation 
Wow!   What a comprehensive reply!  Stunning.

If you could chose between a new S9 and new AS10, which one would you chose and why?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd go 10 for the smaller footprint.

S9

[attachment=30871]

S10

[attachment=30872]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would go s10, the older the machine the harder getting parts and someone that knows how to fix it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 SD card must be locked prior to reading on Windows then unlocked when putting it back in the machine, but you know that.

The AutoSet for her has a n|w mode and algorithims for it.

Info on the s11 is coming out but regulatory documents are surfacing. I wouldn't wait but sooner than later the S9 will be 2 gens old. Harder to get service.
Post Reply Post Reply
While I'm a novice, I have used both since starting therapy (only in my third week) and the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto has provided better results so far. With the Dreamstation, every nights results were different (I could never get below 5 AHI on the PR) and it would jump to very high pressures throughout the night where the ResMed isn't doing that and I have more consistent numbers. I'm below 1 AHI on the ResMed so far.

I do like the menu system and reporting better on the dreamstation. The ResMed gives no information in the sleep report.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks.  What do you mean by "no information in the sleep report" ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the autoset version?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,827 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 267 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 1,003 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 858 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 868 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,719 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
  Philips Respironics DreamStation not reaching Max Pressure Xsoldier2000 15 2,399 01-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Tom Buck

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.