Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AS10 and F&P Simplus FF mask compatability (edited)
compatibility between ResMed and F&P
Is the Fisher & Paykel Simplus full face mask compatible with the ResMed AirSense 10?  TYia.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: compatibility between ResMed and F&P
All masks use a standard 22 mm fitting and will work with all machines. Exceptions may apply to travel-specific mini CPAPs. Welcome and good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Sleeprider. 

My problem is with mask leakage. 

I have 3 identical F&P masks and none ever showed excessive, if any, leakage when I was using them with the Icon+.  

Using them on my RedMed AS10, the screen reports a poor mask fit. (with a red frowny face). 

ResMed measures LEAK  as the average of the 95th percentile values of leak during periods' usage days. 

RedMed defines 'Good Fit'' only if the 70th percentile leak is less than 24 L/min. 

The AirSense 10 is reporting 28 L/min leakage.

Could the design of the F&P Simplus FF mask (including air holes for exhaled air) be responsible for this "leakage" ?
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed AS10 and F&P Simplus FF mask compatability (edited)
My problem is with mask leakage. 

I have 3 identical F&P masks and none ever showed excessive, if any, leakage when I was using them with the Icon+.  

Using them on my RedMed AS10, the screen reports a poor mask fit. (with a red frowny face). 

ResMed measures LEAK  as the average of the 95th percentile values of leak during periods' usage days. 

RedMed defines 'Good Fit'' as  less than 24 L/min leakage at the 70th percentile . 

The AirSense 10 is reporting 28 L/min leakage at 95th percentile. (screen reports a poor mask fit w/ red frowny face)

Could the design of the F&P Simplus FF mask (including air holes for exhaled air) be responsible for this "leakage" ?

Should I be worried?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AS10 and F&P Simplus FF mask compatability (edited)
I don't think the Simplus design is the problem.  I've been using a Simplus with my S9 ever since beginning therapy (10/14) without any leak problems. I do have to switch mask size as my weight changes.

BTW. Are you moving away from the Icon listed in your profile?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you select "Full face mask" in the mask type settings on your new machine? Have your humidity levels changed when switching machines? Also, make sure the "AB Filter" setting is turned off on your new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I get some mask leak days, and don't have a poor mask fit. The 95% leak rate comes into play if you have occasional leaks and take the mask off to let the machine shut down. It records that last leak, and it can put you over the top. Best bet of course is to use software like #Sleepyhead to see the leak size and extent, but with the Icon that might not be possible, depending on which model you have. If your treatment is working well and you sleep without disruption, your leaks are not so bad. I find I get more if I fall behind in keeping my mask cushion clean. I track my leaks in Sleepyhead using a 90th percentile and median. On a "bad" day I get about 7.0 median and 16-17 on the 90th percent leaks. That becomes a 26.4 L/min leak at the 95th percentile. So that tail of the distribution curve is pretty harsh for a short period of time.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
One more thought for you. If you have the owner's manual for that mask, there is probably a specifications chart or table in the back that provides the expected leak rate at various pressures.  I'll post one for the F20 mask below.  For this mask your expected leak rate is about 39 L/min at 11.0 pressure.  The assumed leak for the Resmed machine is unknown, but averages around 24 L/min, and there are masks and pressures that will always show some excess leak.  Someone with pressures of 25-30 cm are going to have leak rates in the 60s L/min range and will always show poor mask fit on Resmed. The Respironics machines report the total leak, so they are a lot easier to evaluate for large leak. You can tell when a leak is a problem, because it disrupts your sleep or the machine loses control over your respiration and you don't see the detail in a flow chart. I think Resmed flags a large leak considerably before it is an issue.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4844]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I just updated my profile.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are the Specifications for the F&P Simplus mask. You can calculate the expected leak rate for your pressure from this chart.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4854]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Best way to use two ResMed AS10's TommySnores 3 168 02-29-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: TommySnores
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 326 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 44 3,984 01-28-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 465 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 474 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  S9/AS10 Blower Motor Tester vk3hjq 7 1,871 12-03-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: FaceInTheCrowd

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.