Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed ASV vs Philips ASV
ResMed ASV vs Philips ASV
I had a Philips Dreamstation ASV for 5 years and replaced it with a ResMed Aircurve 10 ASV. I've had that 2 months now and thought I'd share my thoughts about the 2 machines.

I feel the same as far as energy level, lack of tiredness, staying awake, etc, so I don't see any difference between the machines for the things that really matter.

The ResMed machine runs at higher pressures than the Philips. The doctor started the ResMed with the same minimum settings as the Philips and right away I had to tighten down my mask as it was getting blown out.

With the same minimum settings, the median pressures on the ResMed were higher than the median pressures on the Philips.

After the 1st month the doctor reduced the minimum settings to be lower than what the Philips was set at and the median readings on the ResMed started to be closer to the median readings on the Philips.

It would appear to me that, with both machines starting out at the same minimum, the ResMed is more aggressive at raising pressures when needed to maintain the airway.

I don't know if ResMed measures AHI the same as the Philips, but the numbers that it reports are significantly lower: <.1 overall vs 0.7

My AHI with the Philips was generally under 2, often under 1, with rare nights of zero. The ResMed has reported an AHI over 1 only once in 2 months and regularly reports nights with AHI = zero.

The hose for the ResMed is much stiffer than the hose for the Philips. I prefer the Philips hose which is more flexible.

The ResMed humidifier either holds more water or uses less water, I'm not sure which, although I really didn't have a problem with the Philips water tank level.

Both machines occasionaly 'click' when the pressure changes from inhale to exhale or vice-versa. Reseating the humidifier usually takes care of it.

The ResMed is quieter than the Philips. Of course, it's also much newer.

The manufacturer's software for both is much inferior to OSCAR.

I'm sticking with the ResMed - the Philips is now my backup machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed ASV vs Philips ASV
I agree with your observations and conclusions, but will add that the Philips machine tends to be behind the need for pressure when set too low, while the Resmed will pretty much catch an apnea or hypopnea sooner, resulting in ab overall more even breathing volume. It is clearly more aggressive and at the same time, will back-off of PS faster when spontaneous breathing is sufficient. Not aware of the clicking, so check your humidifier chamber fit. Both machine have their benefits, and the Philips has many more settings to enable a set backup rate and volume, as well as less PS if desired. My observation has been most members do better with the Resmed if they are treating central or complex apnea. We see a lot of people trying to treat upper airway resistance or flow limitation with ASV, and in those cases I don't think ASV is warranted, but the Resmed is overly aggressive.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is there a problem with the supply of Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV?   I'm about to give up on getting a replacement for my
Phillips Dreamstation BIPAP autoSv but all the online vendors report that the Resmed device is out of stock.

Does Resmed have a replacement model?
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed is still supplying the ASV. If you are using insurance, that channel may be backed up, but it's not hard to find online sales of new or used units. Philips is completely backed up due to the recalls and is only now beginning to fulfill warranty orders on advanced BiPAP machines. The Philips recall directly resulted in a near doubling of prices across the board for all machines, and opened the door to a flood of Chinese units being offered due to shortages and price increases. If you are using insurance, and your supplier is telling you no machines are available, they are lying. Their insurance contracted price is probably below the current cost of buying from wholesale in today's market and they don't want to sell it to you. Plenty of machines if you're buying out of pocket.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,849 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,621 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,067 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,277 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 236 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.