Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 Fan Motor Loud
ResMed AirCurve 10 Fan Motor Loud
Hello,

I am a new member on this forum and thought I would post about a problem I am having with my ResMed AirCurve 10 bipap machine.  This is a replacement machine for my seven year old ResMed S9.  The first time I used my AirCurve 10, I noticed a high pitch whirring sound that got louder as I inhaled.  My S9 was quiet with only the sounds of the air movement.   I reported this to my equipment supplier and they ordered me a replacement machine.  The replacement arrived and I used it for the first time Friday night.  The whirring sound was at least three times louder than the machine being replaced. After 15 minutes. I could not stand the sound of this machine.  My wife even said she would not sleep in the same room with that machine running.  I recorded a video of this and called my equipment supplier.  They said definitely something was wrong and would replace this machine.  I am now waiting for a replacement machine.

Is this normal for the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAUTO.  I have read great reviews on this machine and have seen comments where the machine is "whisper quiet".  I even called ResMed technical support and they said something was wrong.  I am curious if any other users of the AirCurve 10 have experienced problems with a loud fan motor.

This seems to be a great machine with many features that my old machine did not have.  I just cannot use it with the sound "of someone revving an engine" with every breath I take.

Thanks.

Ryland
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 Fan Motor Loud
I have used my Vauto for the last four years and never any sound. Extremely quiet. Hope you get the properly working machine you deserve.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Go to the clinician menu and go down to “about” that will give you the hours it has run. You probably have a used machine. They cannot turn back the hours. I would check the next machine you get. It should have 0 or very close to it. They may have turned it on to make sure or is working correctly. But the hours should be close to 0. I purchased a used machine from Supplier #2 with 250 hours (1 month). So check you are paying for a new machine be sure you get new.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a sound problem with mine. My wife keeps waking me up to see if I'm still breathing because she doesn't hear me or the machine.

At least that is the way it was when I got it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your quick responses.  I have a new machine on order and will pick it up tomorrow.  The replacement machine I got last Friday has three hours on it, which seems high for a new machine.  I had only used it for 15 minutes.  It looks like someone returned this machine because of the high pitch sound and somehow it found its way to me.  I am afraid that ResMed has received a bad batch of motors.  I will definitely check the hours on the machine that I will be getting tomorrow.  Hopefully, my problems will be solved as the AirCurve 10 VAUTO has high reviews.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got my AirCurve 10 a few weeks ago. It is darn-near silent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems that everyone is having a good experience with their AirCurve 10. I wish I could say the same. I got my replacement machine (third one) and used it for the first time night before last. It had zero hours on it. I hooked everything up and started my therapy and the first thing I noticed was the high pitch "whirring" sound of the fan motor. I toughed it out and finally fell asleep about 1 1/2 hours later and slept for almost seven hours. It was a very refreshing sleep.

I tried using it last night and the high pitch whirring sound from the fan motor made it impossible to fall asleep. I finally gave up after 30 minutes and used my S9 machine. I fell asleep within 10 minutes.

My AirCurve has two sounds. The first is the movement of air through the system (a swoosh sound which is normal) and the second sound is the whirring sound of the fan motor. This sound is not loud, but is annoying enough that it makes it difficult to fall asleep. I have been on BIPAP therapy for seven years and never had any problems with sound on my S9 machine.

I am beginning to think that the problem could be me. Am I expecting too much out of this machine? Are other people having the same problem? Did ResMed get a bad batch of fan motors? These are questions I am seeking answers to.

I would really like to have the enjoyable use of this machine as others have had. I have reached out to my equipment supplier, which have been great so far, and am awaiting word as to what the next step will be. I will keep you informed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry you are having problems. I can't hear anything except the air coming out the port on the mask. No machine noise. Maybe you just can hear a higher pitch sound than this old man. Again, sorry you have not got the type of help you need. Just for my own info, has anyone else that owns the AirCurve had this problem?
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you try putting the VAuto on some kind of rubber mat is the sound being transmitted to your bedside cabinet then that amplifying the sound
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a friend that uses a ResMed 10 AutoSet for Her with a similar problem.

She said the noise is a whirring sound directly related to when she inhales. It's different from the sound of air pressure when you first start the machine, which is normal. It happens when inhaling. I'm not sure if she's had it replaced yet.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 202 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.