Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
RE30: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
In the event that my health insurance company will not pay 85% of my Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and I want to buy a used machine, is the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV and Philips Respironics BIPAP Auto SV Advanced System One the only two ASV machines? Since ASV has been around since 2006 are there some older ASV models available?  If so which ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
As you get older machines, the ASVauto mode goes away and EPAP becomes a fixed pressure. There are also more limits on PS min. I would stick with the Aircurve 10 ASV or most recent S9 Adapt, and I don't know the model number off-hand.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The most recent Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt model number is 36037 this one has all of the features of the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE31: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Thank you.  Looks like the complete name is Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt SV (with ASV).  I can find it new for $1659 on a supplier not on our list which ends in liquidators.  How do I get the full name to you to determine if you want to add them to the list of suppliers?

I have attached a list which supposedly includes most ASV machines and also an attachment that compares the effectiveness of Resmed vs Philips Respironics current ASV machines to control central apneas.  Plus an attachment comparing the differences in the two ASV machines.  No way for me to know the accuracy of these two attachments but they are a starting point.

Attached Files
.pdf   ASV Machines.pdf (Size: 505.58 KB / Downloads: 31)
.pdf   ASV Effectiveness.pdf (Size: 338.56 KB / Downloads: 32)
.pdf   ASV Comparison.pdf (Size: 503.75 KB / Downloads: 31)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE32: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Well I went looking for a used Resmed S9 Adapt ASV and found one on Craigslist for $300, 1100 hours with the humidifier.  Unfortunately it had already sold before I could get to it.  But a new listing occurred for a new Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV for $450.  I was the first person to call and the seller held it for me even though four other people called after me.  One caller was out of state but the seller did not want to go through the hassle of mailing.  I now own the machine and it came with the F20 mask and head harness we are using but the cushion was too large. I still think I got a real bargain.  It turned out the person for which it was ordered passed away before it could be used and the insurance had already paid for it. 

Now remember my wife is using a CPAP machine but also having periodic central apneas.  SleepRider has already recommended an ASV machine for her.  I have attached three of her Sleepyhead charts.  One is using the newly acquired Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV which eliminated all apneas just as it did for me.  One of our sons is going through the same dance so I am going to loan him one of our two ASV machines and see if he can tolerate the ASV before we push for an ASV machine for him.  Sleep Apnea has been hereditary in our family with both my wife and I and now our third son.  Our other two sons already have their machines.  I am going to work on one of our grandsons after I finish with our third son.  The knowledge gained through this apnea board has been very helpful to my family.  So thank you all.
Paul T.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paul, that is a fantastic deal! Oh look! Zero AHI. Who'd of guessed?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What a great turn of events Paul. Congratulations.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE33: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
First of all my wife wants me to personally thank Sleeprider for his recommendation to get an ASV machine.  She has been faithfully using the Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV that I purchased on Craig's list and has had no more apneas including the centrals.  So thank you Sleeprider!

My insurance company has decided to pay their 85% for my new ASV machine even though they had already paid 85% a year ago for my Resmed Aircurve Vauto.  I don't yet know the insurance company's agreed upon price for an ASV machine so I do not know how much my 15% is going to be.  Time will tell.

Buying the ASV from Craigslist has saved at least three months time in getting the ASV for my wife.  It would also take a minimum of two $35 copay doctors appointments and an $85 copay for the ASV sleep study as well as the copay for the machine. I may go ahead and try to build the case for my wife to get an ASV machine through our insurance company over the next few months and give the Craigslist ASV to one of my sons or grandsons who do not have insurance but have central apneas.

I have also not had any apneas since using the ASV machine.  It has been easy to use from the beginning with no transition period.  My continuous sleep time has increased from two hours with a CPAP or Aircurve Vauto to now five hours with the ASV.  I hope to get to at least seven hours continuous sleep but it almost doesn't matter.  I already feel much more rested by using the ASV machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paul, I think it's always a good idea to have your doctor onboard with what works best. In your wife's case, it is pretty easy to show before and after data to make the case. If she is comfortable and this therapy is what works best for her, she will be able to make her own case. The biggest obstetrical to getting approval for these machines is getting a medical doctor to approve the testing, then having to deal with sleep clinics that generally are unfamiliar with ASV. I don't get to write the rules, but if everyone could trial a machine as you did, then the time and expense of being approved for this would be much much less.

That said, it is not for everyone, and we have a member JesseLee who acquired an ASV, tried it and and quickly learned it wasn't the therapy he needed. He happily returned to the Vauto. I'm very glad to hear your wife has easily transitioned to ASV, and I doubt she will easily give it up.

Hope you, and perhaps she will continue to participate and help others with your stories.

Tom
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Paul, hope all is well with these ASVs and that your therapy is going well for both of you. Best wishes on future success. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto - Oscar Chart Raven87 18 317 8 hours ago
Last Post: Raven87
  Help with new AirCurve 10 VAuto Settings aubreyjs 13 303 9 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 19 667 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: ewriter
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 205 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 8 346 04-22-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: joeblough
  need help be with Ti min and Ti max, just got airsense vauto and got some questions shedu1337 7 186 04-22-2024, 09:02 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 3 166 04-20-2024, 02:07 AM
Last Post: melbell

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.