Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
RE: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Thinking of my own ASV sleep study, I was surprised it was valid as I didn't think that I'd slept a wink.

Apparently, that wasn't completely accurate as they said they had enough data to prove efficacy.

Sleep labs are notoriously bad places to get sound sleep, with all the wires, strange beds, etc.

ASV machines can take some adjustment. Many of us experience needing to do the "blowback" trick with the ResMeds when the ASVs start blowing too much pressure (often at sleep transitions). For some reason, the ASVs can go a little wild at the worst possible moment.

By forcefully exhaling into the mask, the machine pressures settle down.

Mercifully, most of us seem to get past this phase fairly quickly. I'm still not sure if we train the machine, or it trains us, or a combination of both, but in my experience and those of my unruly brothers, man and machine do fall into sync.

My sleep quality has improved substantially compared to either APAP or pre-APAP periods.

Look forward to welcoming you to the renegades!

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE20: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Thank you Spycar and Sleeprider.  I will be happy to provide all seven pages of my latest ASV sleepstudy but it does not contain very much additional data than what I have already provided.  I expected to see a titration section like was done when my BPAP was recommended.  But it appears they just set the machine parameters at ASV 5/3/15 and tracked my apneas (there were none), my blood oxygen which had a mean of 95.7%,  my sleep status (awake/REM/Non Rem) and my heartrate which had a mean of about 55.  The only time the word "spontaneous" was used had to do with arousals which were 8 during non Rem and 3 during REM.  I can also try to find what you are seeking if you show me a sample.

Now for a question.  I just reviewed a "scholarly article" on dealing with central apneas.  I was surprised that it said that adding oxygen may also help eliminate central apneas and that a BPAP ST may also work if the ASV did not eliminate the central apneas.  I do not want to keep ordering machines.  Since the ASV and BPAP ST carry the same HCPCS Code EO471, what is the Apnea Board consensus on the best machine to order to try and eliminate Central Apneas?    I still have time to influence what machine is ordered as my insurance company has not yet pre approved the purchase nor has my doctor written the prescription.  My current desire is a Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV with both the fixed and Auto EPAP options unless you folks think otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO unless you've been disqualified for the ASV machine, that should be your first choice. ST can work, but I believe the ASV will in most cases be the better choice, when it comes to treating centrals anyway.Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree the ASV is the best choice. I have just been prescribed an ST by the NHS I have already purchased my own S9 ASV and the bilevel ST works but is not as comfortable by far. The amount of pressure is fixed, the pressure support is fixed and the pressure wave form is square (rise time can be tweaked ) and both treat my periodic breathing but the ASV is the best.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV will eliminate central apneas. It is the state of the art technology.

I'm very happy with my ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV Auto. That would be my choice of machines. I would encourage you to stick with that decision without hesitation.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
The ASV is far superior for complex or central apnea treatment. The ST is more appropriate for people with a restrictive condition, hypoventilation or those that cannot use ASV due to a heart condition. As mentioned above the ST provides a fixed inhale and exhale pressure and provides backup breaths on a timed basis. The ASV actually provides variable EPAP and IPAP pressure support based on your breath by breath needs, and uses an adaptive algorithm to match your breathing rate...Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV is your best choice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll strongly second Sleeprider on the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV as the best choice overall. I back my opinion by owning/using this exact machine. It works extremely well in conquering the centrals, obstructives, and hypopnea. In ASV Auto, we only need edit 4 pressure settings, as the algorithm takes care of the rest.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE21: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Dave, what are the four ASV settings required?  My sleep study only mentioned a minimum, maximum and pressure relief.  Thank you also for your Resmed ASV endorsement.  That is the consensus of everyone who has responded to my question.
Post Reply Post Reply
I describe the settings as 2 range groups. Since we're describing 4 overall settings, you can only access this via the ASV Auto mode. OK, we have an EPAP Min and Max, there's the first 2. We also have PS or (pressure support) Min and Max, there's the other 2. IPAP is controlled by adding whatever your current EPAP and PS are.

Further info on IPAP, you cannot set this "directly". The machine algorithm sets IPAP for you based on whatever "x" for EPAP PLUS "y" for PS are at that moment. Hope it makes sense.

As for what you set those 4 values to should be likely determined off your sleep study. Of course you'll likely edit those to get best results. Unfortunate that's a bit of trial n error. But it's not difficult with reviews of nightly results via Sleepyhead.

Added: BTW this does not include "comfort" settings: Ramp settings (I don't use it), Humidity, heated hose (only available if one is plugged in).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll drop in the ASV titration protocol here.  Note different starting points for ASVauto and ASV.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 565 2 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.