Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
RE27: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Thank you SpyCar!  In addition to no apneas (including those dreaded clusters central apneas) the mask flow rate is a lot smoother :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Sounds like you finally have the right machine. Congrats!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i am jealous of that sleepy head chart. the flow rates just look so smooth and consistent! Congrats!
Post Reply Post Reply
that's an awesome chart waldo!
Post Reply Post Reply
like Congrats on finally getting on the ASV. Best wishes that successes continue.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE28: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Thank you all for your congratulations and assistance on my journey to get an ASV machine.  A special thank you to Sleeprider who knew the answer to my question on the very first page of this series of posts.  I asked if my Aircurve 10 Vauto would eliminate my clusters of central apneas as I seemed to be able to adjust the machine to do so.  Sleeprider pointed out that my flow rates were still erratic indicating that I still had an underlying problem.  Further that the best solution was an ASV machine.  That turned out to be true for me.

I have posted one of my worst recent Sleepyhead charts showing my clusters of central apnea problem and the chart from last night with my first seven hours of continuous sleep in over ten years using the ASV machine for the first time.  Until now getting and using this Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV machine, I was lucky to get three hours of sleep and not very good sleep. 

Yesterday was our 52nd wedding anniversary and other than my wife, this ASV machine is the best gift I could have received.  I will mortgage the house to keep this machine if my insurance refuses to pay for it after recently paying for my Aircurve 10 Vauto.  I slept another three hours without central apneas after the initial seven shown on the below Sleepyhead chart.  Whoever designed this ASV machine knew how to solve my central apnea sleep problem.

I believe I have also learned that central apneas are a symptom of a problem. If so, my new ASV machine as solved the symptom from a sleep perspective but not from what is really causing my central apneas.  So now is the time to mention that I have Crohns disease.  I have had five operations over a three year period that eventually removed most of my colon.  It still did not solve my pain problem so I am taking opioid prescription drugs to reduce the constant abdominal pain.  These are known to cause central apneas.  I am not one of those addicted to the opiods and am thankful for them reducing my pain.  They have improved my quality of life as I believe this new ASV machine will also accomplish.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad I could make a difference in your life. Go enjoy it with your wife of 52 years and congrats to you both.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RE28: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
(08-08-2018, 11:29 AM)waldo1945 Wrote: Thank you all for your congratulations and assistance on my journey to get an ASV machine.  A special thank you to Sleeprider who knew the answer to my question on the very first page of this series of posts.  I asked if my Aircurve 10 Vauto would eliminate my clusters of central apneas as I seemed to be able to adjust the machine to do so.  Sleeprider pointed out that my flow rates were still erratic indicating that I still had an underlying problem.  Further that the best solution was an ASV machine.  That turned out to be true for me.

I have posted one of my worst recent Sleepyhead charts showing my clusters of central apnea problem and the chart from last night with my first seven hours of continuous sleep in over ten years using the ASV machine for the first time.  Until now getting and using this Resmed Aircurve 10 ASV machine, I was lucky to get three hours of sleep and not very good sleep. 

Yesterday was our 52nd wedding anniversary and other than my wife, this ASV machine is the best gift I could have received.  I will mortgage the house to keep this machine if my insurance refuses to pay for it after recently paying for my Aircurve 10 Vauto.  I slept another three hours without central apneas after the initial seven shown on the below Sleepyhead chart.  Whoever designed this ASV machine knew how to solve my central apnea sleep problem.

I believe I have also learned that central apneas are a symptom of a problem. If so, my new ASV machine as solved the symptom from a sleep perspective but not from what is really causing my central apneas.  So now is the time to mention that I have Crohns disease.  I have had five operations over a three year period that eventually removed most of my colon.  It still did not solve my pain problem so I am taking opioid prescription drugs to reduce the constant abdominal pain.  These are known to cause central apneas.  I am not one of those addicted to the opiods and am thankful for them reducing my pain.  They have improved my quality of life as I believe this new ASV machine will also accomplish.

While i have never had central apnea clusters as bad as what you've shown there, i feel like i am in sort of the same boat as you. I've been able to "eliminate" my centrals that i have using my Vauto machine on most night by using the very high trigger and cycle settings, but i never feel that well rested when i wake up and my flow rates always seem to be all over the place throughout the night.  Some nights i have a great AHI, and other nights it's 8-12.  I just want to know if an ASV machine would work better for me than what i have.  This is my overview since i bought the Vauto machine and Jun 29th is where i first tried the very high trigger setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE30: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
Hi Jgrizz80, Your post sounds very similar to my first post on Page 1 of this string.  I too was able to "eliminate" my central apneas by making adjustments to my then Aircruve 10 Vauto BPAP.  So please go back to the first page of this string and review Sleeprider's comments.  If you look at his history on this site, he has over 10,000 posts in almost four years and is on the advisory board for Sleepyhead design.  He is more capable to answer your question than I.

In looking at your posted chart, I notice that you have been very faithful in using your machine (same setups as my previous machine), are sleeping on average seven hours a day and having relatively view apneas.  You also say that you "purchased" your current machine which is not cheap.  Mine would have cost $1,810 if I paid the insurance cost or over $2,500 if I had purchased it outright on the Internet or used.  So switching from your current machine to an ASV machine needs to be balanced with the benefit relative to your cost.  Your Aircurve 10 Vauto is an excellent machine.

While my central apnea chart is much worse than you are experiencing, it is one of my worst charts.  My centrals were only happening about a third of the days each month and not always as severe as what I posted.  My main problem was being unable to sleep more than three hours at a time and always feeling tired.  Switching to the ASV machine appears to have solved my three hour at a time sleep problem but I need more than one night's experience to determine if it helps the quality of my sleep.

I strongly urge you to post the Sleepyhead charts in the style and order that Sleeprider requests on any one of his above posts.  It will be much easier for him to advise you.  Your centrals may not be severe enough to warrant the cost of an ASV machine and there may be better settings that you can use on your aircurve 10 Vauto to help the quality of your sleep.  Everybody is different and has different circumstances.  Sleeprider is excellent at giving personalized advice.  Paul T.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RE30: [split] ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto vs ASV to Treat Central Apnea
(08-08-2018, 01:30 PM)waldo1945 Wrote: Hi Jgrizz80, Your post sounds very similar to my first post on Page 1 of this string.  I too was able to "eliminate" my central apneas by making adjustments to my then Aircruve 10 Vauto BPAP.  So please go back to the first page of this string and review Sleeprider's comments.  If you look at his history on this site, he has over 10,000 posts in almost four years and is on the advisory board for Sleepyhead design.  He is more capable to answer your question than I.

In looking at your posted chart, I notice that you have been very faithful in using your machine (same setups as my previous machine), are sleeping on average seven hours a day and having relatively view apneas.  You also say that you "purchased" your current machine which is not cheap.  Mine would have cost $1,810 if I paid the insurance cost or over $2,500 if I had purchased it outright on the Internet or used.  So switching from your current machine to an ASV machine needs to be balanced with the benefit relative to your cost.  Your Aircurve 10 Vauto is an excellent machine.

While my central apnea chart is much worse than you are experiencing, it is one of my worst charts.  My centrals were only happening about a third of the days each month and not always as severe as what I posted.  My main problem was being unable to sleep more than three hours at a time and always feeling tired.  Switching to the ASV machine appears to have solved my three hour at a time sleep problem but I need more than one night's experience to determine if it helps the quality of my sleep.

I strongly urge you to post the Sleepyhead charts in the style and order that Sleeprider requests on any one of his above posts.  It will be much easier for him to advise you.  Your centrals may not be severe enough to warrant the cost of an ASV machine and there may be better settings that you can use on your aircurve 10 Vauto to help the quality of your sleep.  Everybody is different and has different circumstances.  Sleeprider is excellent at giving personalized advice.  Paul T.

Thanks, I actually have a thread i started a while back but haven't updated it too much lately.  Sleeprider has actually given me a lot of info but i don't udpate often enough and i think my thread gets shuffled to the bottom.  As far as purchasing my machine outright, originally my insurace gave me a brick Airsense 10, so i purchased my Vauto used with 200 hours for only $300, so i'm not too far out of pocket now.  I probably wouldn't purchase an ASV outright unless i found one for the right price, but maybe enough sleepyhead data would show that i would be better off with one.  I'm actually going to update my thread now after testing the trigger and cycle settings out more last night, and it's  crazy how much different it is between the 2 settings.  

Honestly going back to your first post, your story sounds very similar to mine, except i don't have much data from when i was using the brick for 8 months.  i constantly had a varying AHI with that machine from 3 to 12 depending on the night, most of which i still think were centrals, but i'll never really know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 95 Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 314 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 862 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.