Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirFit N10 Soreness Help
ResMed AirFit N10 Soreness Help
First, what a wonderful forum you guys (and gals) have here. Going down the CPAP road can be very daunting with limited people to directly talk to. I stumbled across the site the other day and wish I found this when I started the whole "sleep apnea" journey back in early January. Big thanks to all who have contributed here.
So, as I stated, I started this at the beginning of 2017. I was diagnosed with  Mild Sleep Apnea". Working with my provider I got my ResMed Autosense 10 AutoStart and the AutoFit N10 (nose mask). Started using the device(s) on Friday 10 February. My issue comes to the mask and hoping to get some advice. Turning the light out at 10:30 and falling asleep, I have been waking up at approximately 12:30-01:30 with soreness at the underside of the nose, between the nostrils. This part of the skin appears to be getting raw. After waking up, I adjust the mask and go back to sleep and fine until I wake up at my normal time. I pulled data with Sleepyhead and there does not appear to be a seal problem.

Is this being caused because of my head movement and where my head makes contact with the pillow and inadvertently adjusts the straps? Each night I have adjusted/checked my straps and fitting to ensure proper placement before going to bed. Is this usual behavior? I can't figure this out...

If this is to be expected, is there an over the counter lotion or ointment that I can pick up at the local CVS or Giant to apply to my nose? Will this compromise the integrity of the mask? Do I apply a small amount or like I am going to the beach?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not beaten and I will make this work.

Side note...It appears I have won my first battle. Snoring. Previously the wife would sleep in the other room 3-4 nights per week because I snored too loud. Since Friday, she has not heard anything from me and is very happy. And well rested now. Absolutely amazing.

I forgot to ask.... Is it worth trying a different mask (i.e. nasal pillow or even full mask)?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirFit N10 Soreness Help
Hi Effers,
You can try a Lanolin Cream or a liner may work, but I'm wondering if the mask itself is too small?

The ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask is popular.  If you try it, use a larger size pillow than what you are sized for and you will still need to use a Lanolin Cream (found in the baby isle) or a nasal gel (Ayr Gel).

Good Luck, glad this seems to be working for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you OpalRose. I will pick some of the Lanolin cream up today and give it a shot. I plan to call my provider tomorrow (if cream doesn't help) to get a different size or change to the RM P10.

More to follow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Effers,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
First of all, it's great that you are doing so well with your CPAP therapy.
I also want to let you know that the Lanolin cream is great stuff, a "little" gose a "long" way, it is pretty thick, and will be kind of difficult to slather on like you do with son screen. You just put a bit on your soar spot, I hope this helps you.
I wish you good luck on your CPAP journey, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Picked up the lanolin cream. You aren't kidding that stuff is thick. At first I thought it had gone bad but the wife assured me that's the way its supposed to be. Anyways, spread a small amount on my nose and wow. Worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the help. No pain or soreness this morning.

I hope to post some charts up tomorrow for the group to review and provide feedback. Things are going well but as expected, trying to get used to the mask while sleeping. I have developed this mental block and wake up multiple times at night making sure everything is in place. Hope to get to the point where I sleep 4-6 hours or more without interruption. I will get there.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 20 1,456 03-17-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: mecutl3r
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,783 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,541 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 268 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 946 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  ResMed Airfit P10 ScottW 41 20,078 02-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: TexasDon
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 19 4,324 01-26-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: JoeP

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.