Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSens 10 AutoSet for Her CPAP mode for male users
ResMed AirSens 10 AutoSet for Her CPAP mode for male users
New male member using ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ for Her CPAP w/ HumidAir™ Humidifier but not sure if it should be set for AutoSet mode or remain in For Her mode?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSens 10 AutoSet for Her CPAP mode for male users
G'day Roy, welcome to Apnea Board.

As I understand it the "for her" algorithm is a bit kinder and gentler and optimised for female breathing patterns. I don't know in what way they are different from male patterns, but Resmed's site refers to this paper:

Lin CM, TM Davidson and S Ancoli-Israel. Gender differences in obstructive sleep apnea and treatment implications. Sleep Med Rev, 2008. 12(6):481-96.

I know a number of our male members have used the for her setting and find that it suits them well. As with so many things CPAP, everybody is different, so try both settings and see which is best for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response ... was wondering if I wasn't clear in my query. I'll try both modes as you suggest. Last night was the first time my AHI was below 5 for the night. The mask received with the A10 was a F&P 405 and had sores on develop above my lip on second night. (straps too tight) Tried a N10 loaner from DME then an Amara View with terrible results. Finally changed the mask pillow from a large to small on the F&P 405 and had a good night.

Certainly finding becoming a hose head takes a lot of patience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, a lot of patience needed. The hardest part is finding a mask that works for you.
Good luck and welcome to Apnea board.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Roy289,
Yes, CPAP can take some time to get used to, so patience is certainly needed.
The mask is the hardest part of this whole thing, so don't be shy about asking to try different ones 'till you find the one that you like.
If you are comfortable with the gentler pressure, why change it?
Hang in there for more responses to your post and, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy Roy
Short answer
Sleep Med. 2003 Nov;4(6):523-9.
Effects of gender on upper airway collapsibility and severity of obstructive sleep apnea. .

Women compared to men suggests that a gender difference underlies the condition. We hypothesized that due to differences in tissue linkage women have more stable and less mobile upper airway structures than men, read more here

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14607346

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Orangebear

Thanks for the link.

Everyone thanks for your support

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 07:15 AM)Roy289 Wrote: Thanks for the response ... was wondering if I wasn't clear in my query. I'll try both modes as you suggest. Last night was the first time my AHI was below 5 for the night. The mask received with the A10 was a F&P 405 and had sores on develop above my lip on second night. (straps too tight) Tried a N10 loaner from DME then an Amara View with terrible results. Finally changed the mask pillow from a large to small on the F&P 405 and had a good night.

Certainly finding becoming a hose head takes a lot of patience.

I use the Air Sense for her and it is set for the Female breathing pattern on my machine and I find that I like it. I think that it is less harsh, in respect to the standard setting. One must try both to see what suits you. I believe the mask is the most important part as they are tough to get used to and find one that fits properly. Did I mention that after almost a year I still have not found a mask that I like. If that tells you anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Adoniscmj

I agree the "for her" algorithm to manage pressure changes is modified from the Autoset. Incremental adjustment steps are reduced. Also finding the search for good mask is on going. Currently back to my initial mask and having sore develop at bridge of nose. Although last night had best AHI of 1.76 with no Hypopnea and only 7 CA and 4 OA. Guess the answer is CPAP is a work in progress!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 09:02 AM)Roy289 Wrote: New male member using ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ for Her CPAP w/ HumidAir™ Humidifier but not sure if it should be set for AutoSet mode or remain in For Her mode?

You have to try each one to see what you like the best. I have this machine and have been using it on the Female setting for a year now and I like it the best. Oh, and I am a man.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,906 Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 409 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 180 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 229 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AutoSet for Her Mode brainfoggysleeper 4 224 02-25-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: brainfoggysleeper
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,211 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 218 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.