Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-10
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Will Not Start
Longtime CPAP user (on fourth machine), new to Apnea Board. Have been using ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for about four months with little problems, except twice now it has flat-out refused to run. I could not find my situation on the forum, so I am staring this thread.

For instance, last night I got ready for bed, put mask on, expected SmartStart to engage; when it did not, I pressed the "start/stop" button, and my AirSense 10 went dark. Nothing I tried could revive it. I checked the tube, humidifier, etc. Unplugged the machine, waited a few minutes, plugged it back in, etc. Nothing could get the display to light up--and I had power (cord transformer was lit).

So I used my old backup machine last night (worked fine in the same outlet). This morning, when I tried to restart the AirSense 10 (after unplugging and replugging it), it reset itself and started fine. This is very similar to my last "would not start" episode.

My owner's manual was no help. The tech I spoke with at Lincare was no help. The suggestions in the FAQs on the ResMed site had all been tried by me (or did not apply).

My online search turned up no theories other than a thread about the AirSense 9 that said perhaps the transformer on my cord was too close to the machine, and its heat made the CPAP too warm and it shut off from overheading. That seems unlikely to me, though I will move the transformer to a separate shelf from the AirSense 10. If that turns out to be the solution, I guess I'll know it is, maybe, if it never happens again.

Does anyone have any other theories or suggested solutions? Thanks.

-Chuck
07-15-2016 01:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Will Not Start
Hi UpFrontChuck,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
07-15-2016 01:39 PM
chill Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Welcome from another Chuck!

I don't know what all you have tried, but I would take a close look at where the power cord plugs into the machine. Are any of the pins loose or is there a sign of corrosion? The heat from the adaptor theory sounds very dubious to me.
07-15-2016 01:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Possum Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense Autoset A10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
Humidifier: (included in CPAP model)
CPAP Pressure: 8-12
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Innovo CMS-50F+ pulse oximeter

Same thing happened to me fairly recently. Turned out that the power input plug on the device somehow got wet, shorted out, and fried. Not sure how it happened, but it was the day after the maid was there, so maybe she was careless and moved it around carelessly enough to splash humidifier water out and into the power plug? In any case, there was no solution but to get the entire machine replaced, and I suspect that will be the case for you as well.
07-15-2016 02:23 PM
AlanE Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: P10 & Mirage Liberty backup
Humidifier: Built-in
CPAP Pressure: 10-14
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I would suggest the same thing. The machine has a 2-year warranty if you are the original purchaser.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie
07-15-2016 09:52 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Hi UpFrontChuck,

With no water in the machine and with power unplugged from the wall, try:

1. Unplugging the wall cord at the input of the power brick, inspecting it and firmly plugging the cord back into the power brick (but not wall).

2. Unplugging the power cord where it connects to the main CPAP machine, inspecting it for any loose or bent contacts, and firmly plugging it into the main CPAP machine.

3. Then plug into wall power and test the machine.

If it does not work, I suppose the problem might be the power brick rather then the main unit.

Good luck,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2016 12:53 AM by vsheline.)
07-17-2016 12:49 AM
UpFrontChuck Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6-10
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

I would like to thank the other members for the kind welcomes and prompt replies and suggestions. I thought the heat from the power brick was a crock too, but I moved it farther away from the unit anyhow. I also checked the connections and such that others suggested, and my machine has worked fine since the "stoppage" incident last week.

However, I spoke with another rep at Lincare yesterday, and he thought I should swap out my CPAP unit (ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset) for a new one, and he delivered the new one today. So, fingers crossed, I may not experience this problem again. If I do, I'll let you all know.

Thanks again.

-Chuck
07-19-2016 01:17 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cloggd Nose elling with ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet edmund36 5 141 Yesterday 08:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question ResMed AirSense 10 Badjo17 26 2,547 12-04-2016 09:30 AM
Last Post: Arnie51
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,283 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 Quit Working SherrieR 4 260 11-26-2016 07:51 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Angry Resmed Airsense/Telstra 2G wireless kerput JamesW 2 222 11-24-2016 11:08 PM
Last Post: JamesW
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 578 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [Pressure] new airsense 10 new at this abrun7 7 524 11-19-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: Sleepster