Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset problem
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset problem
I have used my ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with AirFit P10 nasal pillows since December of 2015.  Sleep lab results suggested that I start with a pressure setting of 8 and I have had my machine set to a range of 8-20 pretty much since the start when I figured out how to access the clinician's menu.  All is good for the next four years with good results after the initial get to know you phase.  Nearing the end of my warranty period the machine has suddenly developed a problem.  This past Sunday, the machine seemed to start running away with pressure increases during the night waking me up and negatively affecting the quality of my sleep.  I mitigated this partially by lowering the pressure range to 8-10 which helps but does not really address the problem.  But when I do wake up at night the pressure is pegged at 10.  I don't think there is a significant change in my health status that would cause the machine to increase the pressure.  I am reluctant to change from APAP to CPAP setting on the machine to control the pressure.  I have an appointment to take my machine to my "local" vendor on Friday.  So my questions are just in preparation for that appointment.  Any insight into this issue is appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset problem
The first thing I would do is download OSCAR and check out the daily charts to see if there is a reason for the pressure increase.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't download OSCAR until I figure out how to download from a source other than iTunes. But since my original post, I looked at MyAir and found out that my problem started the first night I used a new/replacement AirFit P10 nasal pillows. So, that may be a lead.
Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE:  I was able to figure out how to download OSCAR and actually transfer data from the SD card to my iMac.  Apparently, there is some cognitive ability still left in the old man.  OSCAR showed an increase in pressure and an increase in leak rate since using my new/replacement mask.  Maybe, with bonjour's help, I have identified the problem or at least a starting point. 

Thanks

I wish MyAir would report all the parameters that OSCAR does. Are you listening ResMed?
Post Reply Post Reply
Please post screenshots of daily data. You don't need to figure this out on your own. We are here to help. See the links below for how to organize and post your data.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Does anybody know if ResMed can remotely update the machine software through the cellular connection that MyAir uses?
Post Reply Post Reply
the question is: does the increased pressure cause the leak or the leak cause the increase in pressure? or both? with the p10, mouth leaks are common. do you wake to a dry mouth? some tape their mouth, others use a chin strap or the tongue suck method. I use a soft cervical collar with my p10. your issue can also be from a change in the number of events you are having. unresolved oa, or ca that the apap machine ineffectively tries to use pressure to fix. post some charts for the more-experienced members to respond to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2019, 11:55 AM)Farther Wrote: Does anybody know if ResMed can remotely update the machine software through the cellular connection that MyAir uses?

The answer is Yes, they can.  The reality is that there is a lot of risk invloved (the process needs to be flawless, your machine, and everyone else's MUST work flawlessly) and it has been done, to my knowledge, only once before.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2019, 12:01 PM)sheepless Wrote: the question is: does the increased pressure cause the leak or the leak cause the increase in pressure?  or both?  with the p10, mouth leaks are common.  do you wake to a dry mouth?  some tape their mouth, others use a chin strap or the tongue suck method.  I use a soft cervical collar with my p10.  your issue can also be from a change in the number of events you are having.  unresolved oa, or ca that the apap machine ineffectively tries to use pressure to fix.  post some charts for the more-experienced members to respond to.

A leak causes increased FLOW thru the machine, it does not cause increased pressure.  Increased pressure can cause a leak on a poorly fitted mask, on a properly fitted mask more pressure (not strap pressure) causes a tighter seal, a firmer seal.

Auto CPAPs specifically do not increase pressure when a CA event is detected.  Only an ASV increases pressure on a CA event, specifically they increase pressure support.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for that explanation bonjour. it was my impression that apap uses pressure to address all events since that's all it has to work with (other than epr which despite common knowledge the mfgr does not advertise as therapeutic). I often had runaway pressure with apap, which I sometimes attributed to ca. mistakenly, apparently?

I've been confused by this before and I still seem to be having trouble understanding how flow (volume) can be increased without increasing pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 80 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,460 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
Question [Equipment] What Is Autoset (ResMed) 10 and Can It Be Disabled? Rickyricardo 2 69 Yesterday, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Rickyricardo
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 138 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,999 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 136 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 136 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.