Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
(05-15-2022, 12:42 PM)JimInPT Wrote: I had the smell this morning after 7 hours of sleep, for the very first time in almost four years of 99.99% compliant usage, along with a totally-empty and dry water tank - also for the first time ever (I usually run low overnight, but rarely less than 1/8" left and never dry). 

I'm interested in your theory of a ClimateLine failure, so with a full water tank tonight I'll pay close attention to how things go; thanks for the thought about that.

BTW, does anybody else think the latest ClimateLine hoses are worse than before - specifically too rigid and stiff, not "breaking in" over time?  I use them far past the DME changeout periods, and may even switch back to an old flexy one just for convenience.  Have never had one of these hoses fail on me.

So you suspect the problem is due to a dry water tank? That sounds plausible and in line with what others reported earlier in the thread.

My tank has never run dry, so that's not my issue. I have not smelled any odor since switching out the ClimateLine, so I assume the ClimateLine had a short.

Yes, I do think the new ClimateLine hoses are more rigid and stiff than the old ones. In fact, I noticed that fact as I made up my bed this morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2022, 05:10 PM)BuckarooBanzai Wrote: So you suspect the problem is due to a dry water tank? That sounds plausible and in line with what others reported earlier in the thread.

Yes, after just the one night, no more smell problem with 1/4" water remaining in the tank this morning.  I hope it's as simple as that.

Throat was a little dry, so I boosted the humidity setting from 3 to 4 (I think Auto might have set it higher than that) and temp from 78 to 79F.  Will try to get those dialed in to prevent running out of water in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply
I received a new ResMed Airsense 10 yesterday, and after setting it up I went to bed.  First use, and the "burning plastic" chemical odor was so harsh I had to shut it off after 20 minutes.  Now, I'm stressing about having to get this obviously defective CPAP machine replaced.

Details:

CPAP setting 16
Full mask
Standard hose
No humidifier 
No heated hose
Power supply more than one foot away
No odor from power supply 
No other devices nearby
New CPAP, first use

I then disconnected the Airsense 10 and went back to the CPAP I was replacing, using the same hose and mask.  No odor with my old CPAP, so the odor was definitely coming from the new Airsense 10 CPAP.

What is disturbing is, this problem has been known for several years, yet ResMed obviously hasn't bothered to resolve the problem.  Now, I have to navigate the return policy of my supplier and/or warranty replacement of this Airsense 10 CPAP.  Any help that can be provided will be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, I experience this occasionally (maybe once every few months) on my Airsense 11.  Quite disconcerting!
Definitely not related to the humidifier (plenty of water left, using distilled water nightly, etc.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, 
 I had the same burned plastic smell trouble.  Coming up the hose, into my lungs.   The unit was on the vinal plank  imitation wood floor.
I now have the unit sitting on a ceramic hot plate and the plate is between the unit and the floor and that stopped the burnin plastic smell problem.  Hallelujah.
  I believe the heat from the humidifier section over time was toasting and changing the plastic floor and releasing fumes. The unit's air
intake it right off the floor.  It was sucking in the fumes and passing them to me!  
  I discovered this 6 days ago and have not been awoken in the middle of the night with the smell since. I sincerely hope this helps.
Didn't realize so many cpap users have the same problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
if your machine is sitting on plastic or vynal, the unit may be heating what it is sitting on and releasing fumes. the unit's air intake is sucking
in the fumes and passing them to you.  I placed a ceramic hot plate between the vynal plank floor and my unit and the problem went away for me.  Hope this helps.    Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
photo of fix attached...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
This makes sense since I discovered putting the machine on a surface other than a chemically constituted material fixed it for me.
My machine was on a vinal wood plank imitation floor. I believe over time the heated bottom of the machine was changing (overheating) my floor surface and releasing PVC fumes which were being circulated thu the machine by the filtered inlet to my lungs.  Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have also had this problem with 3 Resmed machines now. 
So what are our options? What other brands of cpap are available to buy in North America?
Post Reply Post Reply
I just read through this entire post. very interesting. While I never had a burning smell from my AirSense 10, I did notice a discolored spot on the old bedside table it had been on for 8 years. Kind of like someone had put a hot iron down on it. This appeared after I left for 3 weeks with my travel CPAP and had forgotten to turn off the AirSense 10. There is a Thermal Fuse in the warming plate that had not blown, so think the overheat couldn't have been too bad. I have since placed my machine on a ceramic tile just to be on the safe side.

On the subject of filter debri, I recently replaced the blower motor on this machine and was amazed by the amount of white stuff built up on the vanes of the old motor. I believe the filters in these machines are both inadequate for the air flow volume and very poorly placed. The entire filter surface does not filter the intake. The  air just gets sucked into the 3/8 inch intake pipe that the filter covers. It needs a plenum to spread the intake over the entire filter. My backgroud is automotive and a car air filter is designed to stop all debri, including from itself, from entering the intake. 

I am retired and have lots of time to tinker. I am thinking about enhancing the intake filter and have a couple of ideas kicking arround to improve the filter housing size and efficiency. You can never have too good a filter and a poor one eventually damges equipment. Any comments appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 357 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,597 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,763 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.