Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
(03-27-2024, 05:18 PM)fixed it Wrote: On the subject of filter debri, I recently replaced the blower motor on this machine and was amazed by the amount of white stuff built up on the vanes of the old motor. I believe the filters in these machines are both inadequate for the air flow volume and very poorly placed. The entire filter surface does not filter the intake. The  air just gets sucked into the 3/8 inch intake pipe that the filter covers. It needs a plenum to spread the intake over the entire filter. My backgroud is automotive and a car air filter is designed to stop all debri, including from itself, from entering the intake. 

I have also wondered about the quality of the filters. If there was white filter matter built up on the motor does that mean we are inhaling bits of it as well?
Please keep us posted about any diy improvements you discover for the filter situation!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, I’m a new Apnea Board member and couldn’t figure out how to start a new thread, so I’m tagging along this one.  I received my new AirSense 11 about 6 months ago and started experiencing the burnt smell.  The smell doesn’t manifest right away after turning the machine on.  It is when I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (I’m old LOL) and turn it on again.  This is when the burnt smell starts and it lasts for about 10 to 15 seconds.  It is every night, not just randomly.
I changed the filter, cleaned the hose and water chamber, but that did not resolve the issue. So I took my AirSense 11 to my CPAP supplier (Lincare) since it was still under warranty, and they sent it to ResMed for repair.  After a couple of months, the CPAP machine was returned by ResMed to my supplier with a report with the following “Resolution Description”:
   “The complain of the smell was not confirmed.  Evaluation of the complaint revealed the following: Unable to duplicate the complaint.  Further inspection revealed no additional problems.  The device was received without any accessories.  Result of this evaluation is a No Fault Found; No repairs required.  Unit has passed all required tests and will be shipped back to the customer.”
The funny thing is that the loner AirSense 11 they provided me while waiting for mine to come back from ResMed, experienced the same burnt smell.
I told my CPAP supplier about this and they wrote down my complaint, but I doubt I’ll hear back from them.  For crying out loud, I’m at a loss about where to go next.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi apontescpap !  -  Welcome
If you look in the Forum Account Help Forum pages, you will see a "How do I..." thread.  It contains several different topics, including how to start a thread.

Here are the links:
Forum Account Help:  https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-...count-Help
How Do I ...:  https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...o-HOW-DO-I
Starting a Thread:  https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread...New-Thread

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2024, 10:27 AM)apontescpap Wrote: experiencing the burnt smell

I understand you cleaned your hose (assuming heated version).
Did you try swapping out for a new heated hose?

I had a heated hose go bad early that exhibited a kind of burned plastic smell.
It's important to have a new backup of everything to swap out for testing.

I'm sorry if this was already suggested.
I haven't read through all the posts in this 8-page thread.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sent my machine in to Resmed (through Air Voel in Canada) because of the burning plastic smell. Thankfully they actually did find a defect - the main circuit board had failed. Posting in case this is helpful for any of you who are being gaslit by Resmed!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 254 Yesterday, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 115 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 124 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,295 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,097 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,910 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,393 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.