Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
Angry 
ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
I previously used two different ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP machines...and each of them emitted an odor that smelled like burning plastic.  Each of these machines was replaced under warranty.  

This burning smell problem did not occur when they were new; in both cases the smell began after just a few (3-4) months of use.  In addition, after 3-4 month of use, the smell did not occur as soon as the machine was turned on: rather, the smell began 5-6 hours after the machines were turned on.    

Please note: 

1. This smell occurred with the heated air hose turned on AND with it off (so it is not the hose),
2. This smell occurred with the humidifier turned on AND with it off (so the humidifier heater is not the problem),
3. The humidifier never ran out of water,
4. The power supply is as far away from the machine as possible, and in any event, the power supply itself has never emitted a burning smell, and
5. The machine is kept clean (e.g., regular hose cleaning, regular filter changing, etc.)

Now my THIRD RedMed AirSense 10 CPAP machine is again emitting a burning plastic smell, after only a few months of use!!!  As before, 5-6 hours after turning it on every night, it begins emitting the very same choking odor.  I wonder if this odor is toxic, and if so, how toxic...

I've noted other posts about a burning smell from this particular model, and I've read that it might be the heated hose, or the humidifier running out of water, or the power supply unit, but none of these possible problems are applicable to my experience.  From the day I brought this THIRD new unit home, no heating has been used in the hose or the humidifier AT ALL.  The power supply is just fine.  There is simply something wrong with one (or more) mechanical or electronic components inside the machine.  

I know that I am not alone in this, and I cannot help but think that ResMed has failed to address this distressing issue.  

Please let me know if you have been affected by this....
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
I've heard of others mentioning the same thing. My AirSense 10 AutoSet is now 13 months old. Not once has it produced any kind of a smell, and it's totally silent. Others have mentioned odd noises from time to time. 

Only once that I know of, did the water reservoir go dry on me. Still, no smell, just some left over mineral deposits. The power supply for my machine is less than 1 foot away. I keep it clean and dusted, as well as the actual area that my machine rests on. 

I'm still using the original heated hose that came with the machine. No issues with the hose slip-on collar coming loose from the quiet air elbow as some experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure the electric adapter is isolated from the air intake. That is the only source of electrical odors I'm aware of. Are you using a SoClean?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
I keep my ResMed AirSense 10, ResMed hoses, filter and water tank scrupulously clean.  The power supply is as far away as possible from the air intake on the CPAP machine itself...it is under my bed, and, yes, that is also clean and dust-free.  There is no burning smell from the power supply, nor is there any burning smell anywhere else in my home.  The burning smell is strictly and exclusively associated with the air output that the machine delivers to my mask.  This has been true for THREE different machines.  The smell is really is obnoxious.  When the burning smell forces me awake, I immediately remove the mask and turn the machine off; I have learned never to restart it in a short period of time, because the smell then persists...if I leave it off for hours, it does not immediately emit an odor, but it almost always emits the burning smell the next night after I run it for 5-6 hours.  I have contacted the CPAP provider and asked AGAIN for another warranty replacement.

What a dilemma!  I have been told by medical professionals that I need to use my CPAP.  Should I use it for only the 5-6 hours before it emits a burning smell, and then turn it off and remove the mask?  Or should I simply never use this ResMed model again?    

By the way, is this website limited to only CPAP users?  Is it also open to ResMed or other industry representatives?
Post Reply Post Reply
Any news? Has this ever been fixed permanently?
Post Reply Post Reply
BSullivan hasn’t been back. A burning smell is very unusual
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually when you search on Google for "ResMed AirSense 10 burning plastic smell", it pops up quite a bit. That's why I was wondering if he ever did find an answer on this.

Looking at all the threads on the different forums I see that people always come up and suggest the same three or four things but that's not it. People get new machines and it starts all over again. Or their machine can go for months without a problem and then do it for a night.

I'm sure I will get responses here with the same suggestions, or telling me they don't ever have a problem. That's nice. But people just like to chat, I get it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only time I had a similar experience is when I forgot to fill my Reservoir of water and went to sleep and woke up in the middle of the night with this plastic burnt smell. If you look at the bottom of the reservoir it will have a tinge of brown possibly from the hot plate that heats the water. If not it has to be something else that I'm not a where of.
The higher the humidity # the hotter the plate gets to heat your water. If your reservoir is almost empty each session it just takes a fraction below the reservoir top line that might be the problem. It is a disgusting scent and I know the feeling, it is to bad it does not have alarm when it gets to warm or to low.
Hope this helps solve your problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
No it doesn't happen when my water runs out. I've even had my water run out without the smell. 

And my power brick is 6 ft away.
And my hoses are clean.
And it is intermittent, and not predictable.
It can go months and then happen 2 hours after I fell asleep. With water in the humidifier just fine. I can turn it off, and wake up in a few hours and turn it on again and it's okay again.

And on other forms people have mentioned they got replacement machines that started doing it as well.

I'm just asking if anyone's actually found a real solution In the cases as I listed above. All these things have been talked about on forums and it's a real puzzler.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally got another ResMed 10 machine which still emits a burning smell, but only rarely (~once a month), a which point I rip my mask off and throw it across the room.  I guess I am stuck with this POS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 455 29 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,617 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,185 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.