Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell
Lol. I know the feeling!

I just ordered one today from[Commercial Link Removed] See Supplier #1
 because I'm just tired of messing around and I want a back up.

I really think the motor is overheating because the air goes right past that. Something in the control circuit that's randomly stresses the motor so that it gets too hot and the silicone emits something. Or else something on the circuit board with the same reasoning. Something the engineers can't or won't fix. I feel like if it's a health hazard it should be a class action lawsuit.

I have this feeling when you send them in they check for error codes they make sure it holds pressure and then they ship them right out again as refurbished and some other poor guy or girl gets it and has to deal with it.

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry to hear that you are still experiencing the burnt smell issue. That has to be very frustrating. 

The only solution I can come up with, is to have a small fan in your bedroom, and face it towards the machine so it blows the smell away from you. 

I have a small fan in our bedroom, and I almost always have it on facing me from about 8 or so feet away. Just enough of a breeze to keep me cool.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask itself pumps its burning smell directly to me through the mask, which is supposed to be providing safe, filtered and clean air.  There is no smell about or around the machine itself.  The burning smell is pumped straight into my nose.  Disgusting.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2020, 04:49 PM)bsullivan Wrote: The mask itself pumps its burning smell directly to me through the mask, which is supposed to be providing safe, filtered and clean air.  There is no smell about or around the machine itself.  The burning smell is pumped straight into my nose.  Disgusting.

Exactly. It's supposed to be clean, refreshing air.

It might be the parts suppliers, not the ResMed design. Some motors or circuit boards are faulty, I suspect.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2020, 04:49 PM)bsullivan Wrote: The mask itself pumps its burning smell directly to me through the mask, which is supposed to be providing safe, filtered and clean air.  There is no smell about or around the machine itself.  The burning smell is pumped straight into my nose.  Disgusting.

Gottcha! Yes.....that is a whole lot to overcome.  Thinking-about

I do hope that you will be able to resolve it.
Post Reply Post Reply
A lot of cases of burning smell have been solved by moving the AC adapter away from the machine intake.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, but he said in the original post: "The power supply is as far away from the machine as possible, and in any event, the power supply itself has never emitted a burning smell"

And I too, said that my power supply is 6 feet away

We have tried all the easy stuff. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
It is either the motor or circuit boards.  ResMed simply does not care.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with my Dream Station bipap machine that I had for a little over three years. First it had to run for several hours. Then the smell came safer running for less than an hour. Just replaced it with a new machine and got the same smell after 6 hours of use. On my old machine I removed the humidifier and ran directly from machine same results. This has to be an internal problem in the machines for so many people getting the same problem. I wonder if these companies are buying the some of the same internal parts?
Post Reply Post Reply
smell is a tricky thing.  I can often smell things other people can't.  I have a good sense of smell.   It's really helpful when house shopping,  mold and mildew cannot hide from me.  

If the guys at ResMed don't have a good sense of smell it would be almost impossible to find it and fix it.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 418 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 616 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,612 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,801 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,181 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.