Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResMed AirSense 10 Question
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Question
I'm a mouth-breather and use a ResMed AirFit F30 mask. For me, a dry mouth is part & parcel of the CPAP experience. It's not all that bad though. 

I always use the humidifier and that seems to help some.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2020, 11:19 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm a mouth-breather and use a ResMed AirFit F30 mask. For me, a dry mouth is part & parcel of the CPAP experience. It's not all that bad though. 

I experienced terrible dry mouth with the AirFit F30 (air blows directly into the mouth), but hardly any dry mouth with the F30i (air comes into the mask through the thin headgear tubes). Not sure why it would make such a big difference. The F30I is much, much quieter for me as well, and there are significantly less leaks with the newer design. 

I take a small sharp-tipped scissor and very carefully enlarge the F30i nasal cushion holes to get better nasal airflow. Using a medium mask cushion. While observing in the mirror, I hold the mask cushion in place (with my head angled up) so that I can see my nostrils and the position of the cushion holes. While looking up into the mirror, make sure that the mask is not pinching in either of your nostrils, and if so, think about moving up a mask cushion size. I very carefully remove 1.0 to 1.5 mm along the edge of both holes. For me the holes are enlarged only slightly on the upper-outer aspects to optimize  a perfect fit directly over my nostrils openings. A tiny amount of hole enlargement makes a big difference to the hole diameter when wearing the mask. For me, the ease of nasal airflow in and out is really noticeable after the modification. Anyone can try it on an older mask to see if it is helpful.
MacBookPro 13, Big Sur, Windows 10 (Parallels 16), FlashAir 16GB W-04,
Contec CMS50F Pulse Oximeter
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2020, 12:08 PM)Bobaloo Wrote:
(09-25-2020, 11:19 AM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm a mouth-breather and use a ResMed AirFit F30 mask. For me, a dry mouth is part & parcel of the CPAP experience. It's not all that bad though. 

I experienced terrible dry mouth with the AirFit F30 (air blows directly into the mouth), but hardly any dry mouth with the F30i (air comes into the mask through the thin headgear tubes). Not sure why it would make such a big difference. The F30I is much, much quieter for me as well, and there are significantly less leaks with the newer design. 

I take a small sharp-tipped scissor and very carefully enlarge the F30i nasal cushion holes to get better nasal airflow. Using a medium mask cushion. While observing in the mirror, I hold the mask cushion in place (with my head angled up) so that I can see my nostrils and the position of the cushion holes. While looking up into the mirror, make sure that the mask is not pinching in either of your nostrils, and if so, think about moving up a mask cushion size. I very carefully remove 1.0 to 1.5 mm along the edge of both holes. For me the holes are enlarged only slightly on the upper-outer aspects to optimize  a perfect fit directly over my nostrils openings. A tiny amount of hole enlargement makes a big difference to the hole diameter when wearing the mask. For me, the ease of nasal airflow in and out is really noticeable after the modification. Anyone can try it on an older mask to see if it is helpful.

That's very interesting! I might have to do some research on the F30i and see if it might happen to work for me.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting comments and very timely for me.  I just finished washing my ResMed AirSense 10 and am going to try it tonight without humidity.  I have been wondering for some time if I really need it.  I don't have a panel, so we'll see how it works with just and empty tank. 

Does anyone know if I need to adjust the heat on my hose?  It seems like it shouldn't need to be on or very high.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2020, 02:18 PM)olywa Wrote: Interesting comments and very timely for me.  I just finished washing my ResMed AirSense 10 and am going to try it tonight without humidity.  I have been wondering for some time if I really need it.  I don't have a panel, so we'll see how it works with just and empty tank. 

Does anyone know if I need to adjust the heat on my hose?  It seems like it shouldn't need to be on or very high.

As far as I know, the hose being on or off is nothing more than a comfort feature. I've never turned the heat to my hose on. 

Even with humidifier use, the heated hose option is off.
Post Reply Post Reply
The purpose of the heated hose is to prevent condensation of water vapor on the inside surfaces of the hose. If your not putting water in the humidifier the heated hose can be turned off.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the side panel since I got my AS 10 in December 2015. The only time I use the humidifier is if I go into hospital, as knee replacement. I find the ac in the hospital dries me out.
I use a pillow mask.
To me it's all about what you like and lets you sleep better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,709 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,579 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,758 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,170 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.